Skipping last leg on KLM/DL itinerary?

Reply

Old Jul 16, 17, 2:51 pm
  #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: DL Silver
Posts: 2
Skipping last leg on KLM/DL itinerary?

New to the forums, so forgive the potentially naive question!

I'm flying from NYC to Cape Town next month, and may need to modify my return trip.

Currently being routed CPT > AMS > BOS > LGA

However, I may need to skip out on BOS > LGA because of a family function.

Because it's the last leg of the trip, if I check a bag, could my bag be 'short checked' to BOS?

Any advice would be appreciated!
travelingwilbury is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 2:56 pm
  #2
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Land of 10,000 Upgrades
Posts: 9,010
Originally Posted by travelingwilbury View Post
Because it's the last leg of the trip, if I check a bag, could my bag be 'short checked' to BOS?
The official answer is no. YMMV.
UpgradeMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 2:56 pm
  #3
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 1,936
Since BOS is your US point of entry you must collect your bag regardless. There is no distinction here between short and long checking.

Somebody familiar with BOS should be able to comment on how easily you can leave the airport after collecting your bag and clearning customs and immigration.

You're lucky BOS is your point of entry. Generally, excepting some specific circumstances, Delta will
not short check bags.
C W is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 2:59 pm
  #4
 
suvayanr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Posts: 1,604
You will land in terminal E in Boston. Just walk out and you should be good to go.
suvayanr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 2:59 pm
  #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DL 2MM Diamante & NW Million Air - UA AA WN & Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 14,429
The problem would be if, something happens to your BOS flight, or your CPT/AMS flight is late, and you're rerouted to NYC, either, nonstop to JFK from AMS, or via another hub in the USA that has a flight from AMS.

Welcome to FlyerTalk Delta Forum!
davetravels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 3:01 pm
  #6
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 1,936
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
The problem would be if, something happens to your BOS flight, and you're rerouted to NYC, either, nonstop to JFK from AMS, or via another hub in the USA that has a flight from AMS.

Welcome to FlyerTalk Delta Forum!
But you can always decline the reroute, even if
you need to call after being VIPERed.
C W is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 3:03 pm
  #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DL 2MM Diamante & NW Million Air - UA AA WN & Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 14,429
Originally Posted by C W View Post
But you can always decline the reroute, even if
you need to call after being VIPERed.
I edited my post to also say that . . . if the CPT/AMS flight is late and they miss the BOS flight.

Besides, I guess they can decline the reroute, but, how many AMS/BOS flights will remain available that day?
davetravels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 3:10 pm
  #8
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: DL Silver
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I edited my post to also say that . . . if the CPT/AMS flight is late and they miss the BOS flight.

Besides, I guess they can decline the reroute, but, how many AMS/BOS flights will remain available that day?
Thanks for the info! I'll have about 4 hrs in AMS, so if there are delays, hopefully nothing too crazy!
travelingwilbury is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 6:26 pm
  #9
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100
Posts: 759
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I edited my post to also say that . . . if the CPT/AMS flight is late and they miss the BOS flight.

Besides, I guess they can decline the reroute, but, how many AMS/BOS flights will remain available that day?
AMS/BOS is at least twice daily service. Great flight in Main Cabin because its so short.

If you miss AMS/BOS you can always ask for AMS-CDG-BOS-LGA. Or worst case if you end up in NYC, its a 3.5 hour drive to BOS.
btonkid12345 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 7:32 pm
  #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,925
Originally Posted by C W View Post
But you can always decline the reroute, even if
you need to call after being VIPERed.
However coming back it would be KLM, NOT DL that would determine the reroute. Also remeber KLM is on the hook for EU261 compensation and regardless of reason EU261 duty of care. Therefore they might refuse to change the routing to go through BOS, if it means either of those expenses would apply.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 17, 5:06 am
  #11
formerly B7e7US
SPG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paris / Santo Domingo
Programs: AA PLT, DL PLT,SPG, Priority Pass, Accor LeClub Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Other shiny cards
Posts: 3,227
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
However coming back it would be KLM, NOT DL that would determine the reroute. Also remeber KLM is on the hook for EU261 compensation and regardless of reason EU261 duty of care. Therefore they might refuse to change the routing to go through BOS, if it means either of those expenses would apply.
This. On this side of the Atlantic, since EU261 applies to foreign carriers, they are very careful about re-routing after irrops. KLM plays by their rules even when managing DL flights, and they provide little flexibility.
SDQBound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 17, 7:16 am
  #12
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CHS
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 417
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
The problem would be if, something happens to your BOS flight, or your CPT/AMS flight is late, and you're rerouted to NYC, either, nonstop to JFK from AMS, or via another hub in the USA that has a flight from AMS.

Welcome to FlyerTalk Delta Forum!
Another problem, though highly unlikely, would be that you deplane in BOS and go to the carousel to get your bag before going through customs, and your bag isn't there because it was mistakenly sent on to LGA. Returning with family on an international trip a few years ago and one person's back was mistakenly directed right onto the aircraft for the final domestic leg and never came through on the pre-customs baggage carousel. No idea how that happened when all other bags were properly routed, but it did. Delta rep just shrugged their shoulders.
ncwillett is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:15 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.