Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Refusing an SDC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
DL Refusing an SDC

So, I went to do an SDC today (as I have done multiple times before). I am booked in paid First (A class) When I got on the phone with DL (and, after being rejected by the initial agent and escalating) the supervisor said (1) they could not change the ticket to a ticket with a different fare class, (2) they could not change the routing, and (3) that the rules had not changed since March.

(1), (2), and (3) cannot all be true because I did a change that violated (1) and (2) about two weeks ago. Moreover it violates what is stated on the website (where there is no mention of fare class restrictions). I'm presently moving to another flight (the flight I booked was non-workable for my purposes) but I am also steaming mad and seriously (if momentarily) considered canning the flights and calling a lawyer. I'm actually mad enough to fire up my Twitter account, and I plan to call back and if this isn't an actual rule call for the agents' heads. It has been all I can do to keep my decorum on the phone.

Has anyone else run into this particular issue?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:48 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
So, I went to do an SDC today (as I have done multiple times before). I am booked in paid First (A class) When I got on the phone with DL (and, after being rejected by the initial agent and escalating) the supervisor said (1) they could not change the ticket to a ticket with a different fare class, (2) they could not change the routing, and (3) that the rules had not changed since March.

(1), (2), and (3) cannot all be true because I did a change that violated (1) and (2) about two weeks ago. Moreover it violates what is stated on the website (where there is no mention of fare class restrictions). I'm presently moving to another flight (the flight I booked was non-workable for my purposes) but I am also steaming mad and seriously (if momentarily) considered canning the flights and calling a lawyer. I'm actually mad enough to fire up my Twitter account, and I plan to call back and if this isn't an actual rule call for the agents' heads. It has been all I can do to keep my decorum on the phone.

I would try twitter. Alternatively, have you tried to SDC on the website? You can do so via the checkin process.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TTT
I would try twitter. Alternatively, have you tried to SDC on the website? You can do so via the checkin process.
That's a funny joke. Doesn't work about 95% of the time.

OP just needs to keep calling.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by WWads

Bingo. The website tool is, well, a tool.

I'm in a Twitter exchange with @Delta and have an outstanding call, but wait times today are running well over an hour.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They can change a routing but your purchased fare may not allow the routing you want. There are, for example, fares between airport pairs that are valid for non-stops only.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:59 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

Never had a problem using it to do SDCs when on a coach fare (after confirming space was available). YMMV I guess.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They can change a routing but your purchased fare may not allow the routing you want. There are, for example, fares between airport pairs that are valid for non-stops only.
The restriction there is "can't go from a connection to direct", and I believe that (generally) the routing must otherwise be listed on the website. I'm actually trying to add a leg (BWI-ATL-YUL to BWI-DTW-ATL-YUL) and I was able to do this on the way home just over a week ago (I changed from MSP-RIC to MSP-BOS-RIC).
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

Mention the calling your lawyer part the next time you call. That'll scare them.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Never mind, apparently Canada is eligible for SDC.

HUCA would have been your best option here.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Mention the calling your lawyer part the next time you call. That'll scare them.
Any sarcasm aside, the issue is that I do think there's either a breach of contract issue or a fraudulent misrepresentation or negligence issue.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dennis88

I generally hang up at the first sign of trouble. Nothing personal, but I don't have time to waste.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dennis88

Yeah...I went through that issue once before as well. Canada is...odd, and "Canada issues" weren't cited (which would still have me loaded for bear).

Edit: I often do as well; here, the problem is that if I have to go through three calls with 60-90 minute wait times, I start running into a real risk of not getting to bed early enough for the replacement flight. (Edit 2: I'm more used to wait times being 20-30 minutes)
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:17 pm

Yeah...I went through that issue once before as well. Canada is...odd, and "Canada issues" weren't cited (which would still have me loaded for bear).

Edit: I often do as well; here, the problem is that if I have to go through three calls with 60-90 minute wait times, I start running into a real risk of not getting to bed early enough for the replacement flight.
Yeah, that's the snag. I might try asking to be transferred to the reissue desk, since they often have to help with tough SDCs anyway. They're generally more competent than the front-line agents.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, that's the snag. I might try asking to be transferred to the reissue desk, since they often have to help with tough SDCs anyway. They're generally more competent than the front-line agents.
And I usually go for a supervisor since usually a more senior/higher up person knows the rules a bit better. Here there was a lot of "I can't do that, etc." That's why I asked them to confirm when the last set of rules changes was (since it was possible that something had landed last week).

With that said, I'd never heard of calling the reissue desk.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Do you have Delta status?

Your (1) (2) and (3) comments are all valid. You cannot change to any seat if your fare class isn't available. You cannot change routing. The rules haven't changed.

Just because an agent made an exception for you last time doesn't mean it can/must happen again. Data points on FT may be from Diamonds where agents are willing to bend the rules for their loyalty.

Changing routing AND without original fare class available for SDC is waiving multiple policies. And many agents will simply not do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.