Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Computers Down

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Doors closing about 50 min late -- plane was here on time -- not fun but GAs worked very hard.
Not their fault though! IT should not be an issue after all the drama of the past year....
IT doesnt get fixed in a year. Its a long multi step, usually multi year process. Even if they knew what to do on day one last year, they'd be only in testing phase by now if not still planning.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Diamond, all of them.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Ed only took over a year ago. Im tired of hearing fire the guy who just got the job, for past leadership failings.
Yes I concur, Ed has only been leading delta for a year. everyone knows he was left out of the loop being Anderson's number 2 man for how many years? I do not recall the IT issues in the "past" leadership, could you name them? I can name 2 major ones within the last year that "Ed" has been at the helm. I'm going to have to call it a night, been a long day traveling. I anxiously await your reply in the morning!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Diamond, all of them.
IT doesnt get fixed in a year. Its a long multi step, usually multi year process. Even if they knew what to do on day one last year, they'd be only in testing phase by now if not still planning.
Ahhh! So it's a multi-year thing. So Delta should have this whole IT thing fixed in the next 10-15 years? AA, UA and the rest just got lucky huh.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Website ticketing works again.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Was expecting to see something here. My trips was just 'missing'.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
I think this event isn't apocalyptic like some might expect directly because of active IT investments and business continuity training that frontline staff are doing. Keep calm and carry on
^. DLTerm remained up and most agents (ie. those that completed their required DLTerm training) should have been able to work flights. I hope that program is expanded to phone agents, too. One of the bigger IT investments, the new backup data center north of the city, should open soon.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just had to book a last minute ticket to OMA later on today. Seems like everything is back to normal now.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
DL is installing updates to SNAPP, and they have been doing this for the past several days.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Ed only took over a year ago. Im tired of hearing fire the guy who just got the job, for past leadership failings.
He has been on the C level executive team of DL for OVER TEN YEARS how long does he get to pretend he knew nothing of what was going on??? He was part of the failed leadership in the past.

This is NOT some guy DL recruited from outside the company to become CEO, then yes he should have some time to right the ship. Ed is just a continuation of failed DL management from PRE NW AND NOW POST NW.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
This is so aggravating. Why don't they try things out between 2-4am EDT when in general traffic should be low. Presuming this isn't a full scale IT meltdown. Just your run of the mill implementing of a new interface that they didn't test enough before taking it live.
Because it's more fun to take things from QA to PROD at high travel hours.....
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer
Ahhh! So it's a multi-year thing. So Delta should have this whole IT thing fixed in the next 10-15 years? AA, UA and the rest just got lucky huh.
That's not the point as all those other airlines deal with their own different circumstances and you can bet that they have their own problems. If there's a structural issue in a company the size of Delta, you typically can't fix it overnight or even in a couple of months. You can fix acute issues for the moment and they did that obviously, but the underlying causes of such things aren't always within grasp of a quick fix.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
I think this event isn't apocalyptic like some might expect directly because of active IT investments and business continuity training that frontline staff are doing. Keep calm and carry on
Yep, thankfully this turned out to be pretty minor. Despite my near heart attack when my reservation/BP disappeared from the app, the agents at the gate handled things very well. They called someone over from another gate to ask what to do, he told them to use Delta Term (is that the, uh, term? ) and they boarded us by typing in the seat numbers manually. Slowed things down a little bit and we took a minor departure delay as a result, but still arrived on time.

When this started, I was fretting that everything was going to come to a standstill, but the agents did a great job of powering through.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:09 am

So a couple days ago my app stared wigging out on me, and started showing strange upgrade offers that would appear and disappear and then it would drop entire segments of my trips and I'd have to call and manually have them added back. But all of this led to me taking screen shots of everything and getting Delta to honor the prices which got upgrades to delta one on ATL-ICN RT for $600 and ATL-KEF RT $400 both were Main cabin X fares that normally didn't allow for paid upgrades.
So thank you delta for still not having a competent IT team and having a wonderful customer service team
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Because it's more fun to take things from QA to PROD at high travel hours.....
QA? When has Dullta ever done QA??

Dullta clearly sees QA as it's arch nemesis, or at the very least doesn't know the meaning of the term.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
yeah sorry but the "it takes more than a year to fix IT" doesn't wash when other competitors don't have these issues. Nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.