Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS Runway Construction (Summer 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
BOS is now showing average delays of 6 hours, 17 minutes(!!) according to the FAA website. I was originally supposed to fly out today for a business trip; thank goodness that got cancelled a couple of weeks ago for business reasons.

The events of June 19th were not all to blame on the runway construction. NYC airspace was pretty much shut down for most of the day. Most if not all flights down to NYC were cancelled and the airport took in many diversions for flights bound to NYC or other points too. About 6pm saw many planes sitting out on the field that normally would not have been there.

DL had 9 diversions come in to BOS yesterday (4 transoceanic flights, 4 from the Caribbean, and 1 domestic) on top of the delays of regularly scheduled flights. One JFK-BOS last night was the only flight that DL operated in the afternoon between BOS and NYC. The airport was so congested with diversions that regular flights that were already late were diverted to other airports.

The majority of the issues yesterday were due to NYC ATC/Weather causing the diversions. Sure the runway closure made the situation worse but please don't go blaming the runway for everything that happened yesterday.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'll still blame the runway for the vast majority of delays in/out of BOS. Yes there was a band of WX activity later in the day that went through, but it was brief and did not account for them running delays right off the bat from the morning.

If the runway was open, then they would have the capacity to handle the traffic without significant delays. Even with all of the cancellations in the NYC area and corresponding reduced volume, BOS was still a mess, and has been for the past 5+ weeks.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
WX or not there are issues in BOS. I am flying JFK-BOS-FCO tomorrow (probably the last time ever flying AZ) and the flight I was suppose to be on arrived 2 hrs after my connecting flight 6 out of the last 8 days. I called the DM line and they changed me to an earlier flight no problem, they would have put me on the JFK-FCO on DL but it is sold out in J.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Mrs. GlobeTrttr and I are booked on DL2643 ATL-BOS + DL154 BOS-DUB tomorrow night.

History for the past 3 days on our itinerary:

DL2643 ATL-BOS
Tue 6/20: delayed 2 hrs
Mon 6/19: delayed 6 hrs (diverted back to ATL – presumably due to NYC airspace congestion, etc)
Sun 6/18: delayed 2 hrs

DL154 BOS-DUB
Tue 6/20: left on time
Mon 6/19: delayed 3 hrs
Sun 6/18: delayed 1 hr

FWIW, both Aer Lingus BOS-DUB flights seem to be consistently getting out on time (does DL interline with Aer Lingus?).

Called DL this morning to see about getting changed to the ATL-DUB n/s. Agent said no changes possible just based on the delay history and known ATC delays, wind, etc. We have to wait until T-24 check-in window before DL issues notice of delay or trip interruption with options to re-book. Life as a Silver…

Are the BOS SkyClub hours are being affected? Normal closing time is 9pm. Are they keeping it open later to accommodate stranded/delayed members? We may pay for single-entry to at least have access to all the carrots, celery, and Miller Lite that we can handle.

Last edited by GlobeTrttr83; Jun 21, 2017 at 8:12 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Officially the SC still closes at the stated time, however from my experience in being there during delay events, they stay open later. It just might be limited amenities after closing time (little/no food, just bar).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
I assume Delta is aware of the runway issue. Then why not adjust the schedule instead of dealing with delays every day?
You want DL to stop flying to BOS until the RWY maintenance is complete? Good luck with that...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
Mrs. GlobeTrttr and I are booked on DL2643 ATL-BOS + DL154 BOS-DUB tomorrow night.

History for the past 3 days on our itinerary:

DL2643 ATL-BOS
Tue 6/20: delayed 2 hrs
Mon 6/19: delayed 6 hrs (diverted back to ATL – presumably due to NYC airspace congestion, etc)
Sun 6/18: delayed 2 hrs

DL154 BOS-DUB
Tue 6/20: left on time
Mon 6/19: delayed 3 hrs
Sun 6/18: delayed 1 hr

FWIW, both Aer Lingus BOS-DUB flights seem to be consistently getting out on time (does DL interline with Aer Lingus?).

Called DL this morning to see about getting changed to the ATL-DUB n/s. Agent said no changes possible just based on the delay history and known ATC delays, wind, etc. We have to wait until T-24 check-in window before DL issues notice of delay or trip interruption with options to re-book. Life as a Silver…

Are the BOS SkyClub hours are being affected? Normal closing time is 9pm. Are they keeping it open later to accommodate stranded/delayed members? We may pay for single-entry to at least have access to all the carrots, celery, and Miller Lite that we can handle.
You should get to the airport early and attempt to standby for one of the earlier flights to Boston. Better that than get stranded and lose a day overseas.

Maybe ask in ATL if they can rebook you on the nonstop. Is it showing close to sold out? If it is, forget about it. If not, maybe ask a Red Coat nicely? Or see if they can do ATL-JFK-DUB?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You should get to the airport early and attempt to standby for one of the earlier flights to Boston. Better that than get stranded and lose a day overseas.

Maybe ask in ATL if they can rebook you on the nonstop. Is it showing close to sold out? If it is, forget about it. If not, maybe ask a Red Coat nicely? Or see if they can do ATL-JFK-DUB?

Already called DL's "silver" line and was told tomorrow’s flights were not currently eligible for waivers. The agent did try looking for a way to get us onto DL176 ATL-DUB but there just wasn’t a way without probably breaking some rules. There appear to be plenty of seats now, so we’ll see how things look tomorrow. I can’t imagine a huge load of other people are trying to fly ATL - DUB via BOS when there’s a non-stop, so I expect minimal change on current availability.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the good news is that weather is good in BOS today and tomorrow... and somehow DL2643 is on time today, and no ground delay program in place so far. Maybe since its Wed with near-perfect conditions?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
My guess is international departures get priority, my FCO flight has left on-time the last 7 days. The plane being on the ground 4+ hrs before departure has something to do with that as well.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
A positive data point for today:

I flew DL808 MSP-BOS this morning. The flight departed MSP a few minutes early and landed in BOS almost 30 minutes early. It's the first flight of the day, which probably helped.

The SC agent confirmed the problems in the last few days and asked if this was my original date to fly MSP-BOS. I think one of the flights yesterday was not just delayed, but canceled.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jun 21, 2017 at 6:37 pm
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
Well the good news is that weather is good in BOS today and tomorrow... and somehow DL2643 is on time today, and no ground delay program in place so far. Maybe since its Wed with near-perfect conditions?
Near perfect weather hasn't mattered in the recent past. BOS has had a lot of strong southwest winds, and with one of the major runways oriented for that wind direction closed, it hasn't been pretty.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
According to what I read, June 23 is the completion date of phase 1 of the entire project. June 24 - Aug. 7: Restrictions on Runway 4R/22L daily, with no departures off Runway 22L and no arrivals on Runway 4R.
Runway 4R/22L re-surfacing is complete except for grooving. Work will continue on the 4R approach pier until August 2017.

Starting on June 24,2017 and continuing through August 7, 2017 runway 4R/22L will be available as follows:

1400L to 2200L daily runway 22L will be available for arrival and departures.
2200L to 1400L daily runway 22L will be available for arrivals only.

1400L to 2200L daily runway 4R will be available for departures and category I arrivals.
2200L to 1400L daily runway 4R will not be available for arrivals or departures.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well yesterday must've been the one anomaly since this cluster* started 5 weeks ago ... today BOS is back to running ground delays again... I'm sure Friday will be horrible again with increased traffic as well.

Due to RWY-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport, Boston, MA (BOS). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 48 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott PE
Any updates on the flight delays? I am traveling to SNN via JFK and have a 4 hr layover instead of the 1.5 hr. I hope this extra time is enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.