Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Purchasing Multiple Tickets under same name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles member

So I originally purchased 2 award tickets (for me and my wife) from LAX-OGG, and we are planning to take our 1 year with us on this trip. The plan was to have her seat on one of our laps. But lately my daughter has a hard time sitting on anyones lap, and does well sitting on a high chair on her own. So I purchased myself a ticket with cash, and now I have 2 tickets under my name, and the other under my wife's name. I didn't put any tickets under my daughter's name.

I lost status since i didn't travel much when we first had a child last year--so hold time to get an agent is always north of an hour--and these agents are not like the platinum desk. They usually don't know what they are doing, and i have a problem understanding their heavy accents.

Anyways, is there a problem with what i did? Can I buy two tickets (under my name), and have my daughter sit in one of them? and will i earn MQM's and miles on the money purchased ticket? I couldn't purchase a ticket just for my daughter online, so i did it this way. Plus I'd rather earn the MQMs and miles myself.

Any advice would help, thanks a bunch
Old May 18, 2017, 6:19 pm

No, your daughter must have a ticket in her own name. Sign her up for SkyMiles and she'll earn her own miles too. This situation is similar to what happened recently out of Maui with the family who got kicked off for trying to make a non-transferable ticket transferable after boarding.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Widgets
No, your daughter must have a ticket in her own name. Sign her up for SkyMiles and she'll earn her own miles too. This situation is similar to what happened recently out of Maui with the family who got kicked off for trying to make a non-transferable ticket transferable after boarding.
+1

Hopefully the second ticket was purchased recently and you can do a risk free cancelation. Otherwise expect to pay a change fee to cancel it and rebook in your daughter's name. Technically, you might not even be able to do that since the credit from the cancelled ticket will be tied to your name.

You definitely want to fix this now, we'll ahead of your day of travel. Also, AFAIK Delta does not take nicely to people attempting to earn twice on the same flight. Even COS buying an extra seat for comfort are only allowed to earn miles on one of the tickets.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles member
Originally Posted by gooselee
+1

Hopefully the second ticket was purchased recently and you can do a risk free cancelation. Otherwise expect to pay a change fee to cancel it and rebook in your daughter's name. Technically, you might not even be able to do that since the credit from the cancelled ticket will be tied to your name.

You definitely want to fix this now, we'll ahead of your day of travel. Also, AFAIK Delta does not take nicely to people attempting to earn twice on the same flight. Even COS buying an extra seat for comfort are only allowed to earn miles on one of the tickets.
2 of the 3 tickets are award tickets--so i am not trying to double dip. I am just trying to book my daughter a flight, but their wait times to do so is outrageous and i cannot do it online (as a stand alone ticket).
Old May 18, 2017, 6:53 pm

Say I wanted more room and bought two tickets just me travleing. Can I do that? Don't they make very overweight people do that?

If I can buy two tickets for me and I have a lap child can I decide to sit her down in my extra seat?

Isn't that what the OP is basically doing?

He has two seats for him and infant in arms.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jon_R
Say I wanted more room and bought two tickets just me travleing. Can I do that? Don't they make very overweight people do that?

If I can buy two tickets for me and I have a lap child can I decide to sit her down in my extra seat?

That is possible if the child is under 2, but Delta still needs to know that the second ticket is for an extra seat. I think that would be a good workaround.

It's preferred to have the child with her own ticket so she can earn her own SkyMiles and start the journey to Million Miler.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jon_R

Yes, passenger of size are encouraged to get seats up front or if in economy, two seats. However, they are supposed to call in and I think the ticket is issued not as 2 x Pax but differently. This also ensures the two seats are never separated (which defeats the purpose for extra space). OP is buying two tickets under his name on the same flight. One ticket could be cancelled by the system since it is clearly the same pax with the same SM account.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...eat-space.html
Old May 18, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by i2ad10head
So I originally purchased 2 award tickets (for me and my wife) from LAX-OGG, and we are planning to take our 1 year with us on this trip. The plan was to have her seat on one of our laps. But lately my daughter has a hard time sitting on anyones lap, and does well sitting on a high chair on her own. So I purchased myself a ticket with cash, and now I have 2 tickets under my name, and the other under my wife's name. I didn't put any tickets under my daughter's name.

I lost status since i didn't travel much when we first had a child last year--so hold time to get an agent is always north of an hour--and these agents are not like the platinum desk. They usually don't know what they are doing, and i have a problem understanding their heavy accents.

Anyways, is there a problem with what i did? Can I buy two tickets (under my name), and have my daughter sit in one of them? and will i earn MQM's and miles on the money purchased ticket? I couldn't purchase a ticket just for my daughter online, so i did it this way. Plus I'd rather earn the MQMs and miles myself.

Any advice would help, thanks a bunch
Given your scenario, 2 x award tickets + 1 x cash ticket, I think it would be better to change 1 of your award tickets to your child (wife + child on award) and leave the cash ticket as yourself. This allows you to earn SkyMiles / MQM / MQD. Call up and explain the situation and you might get lucky in having fees waived for changing the award ticket to your child.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not leave this as is. You cannot have two tickets in the same name on the same flight. That is a direct violation of the COC and one or both of the tickets will wind up be cancelled with or without notice.

Change the award ticket to your daughter and be done with it. She doesn't need the SM and you do.

The situation with a passenger who wants or needs an extra empty seat is entirely different. In that case, you call in and DL issues a separate ticket under a dummy name associated with your ticket.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Why not let DL call you back so you don't have to wait on hold that should be an option you are prompted with when you call in.

​​That what I've been doing recently when encountering long wait times and have had no issues (even last week when overseas).
Old May 18, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Yes, passenger of size are encouraged to get seats up front or if in economy, two seats. However, they are supposed to call in and I think the ticket is issued not as 2 x Pax but differently. This also ensures the two seats are never separated (which defeats the purpose for extra space). OP is buying two tickets under his name on the same flight. One ticket could be cancelled by the system since it is clearly the same pax with the same SM account.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...eat-space.html
Don't even have to call. Just use the DL naming convention for the second ticket and can purchase online.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I wasn't suggesting that OP was *trying* to do anything wrong, just noting that DL's systems may interpret the current reservations as such and that is likely to cause issues. In fact, OP is attempting to do exactly what most of us would prefer - booking three seats for three human beings.

Hold times or not, OP needs to call DL to let them know what's going on and get the tickets reissued accordingly.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
[QUOTE=Jon_R;28330805]Say I wanted more room and bought two tickets just me travleing. Can I do that? Don't they make very overweight people do that?

[QUOTE]

Just adding my two cents on this question from experience. I used my Amex companion ticket to get an empty seat next to me since I didn't have any trips with a companion scheduled. I booked it with the same last name but the first name "EXTRASEAT". It seemed to go through fine, with the exception of some odd looks from the GAs, and a FA who thought a seat was empty and tried to seat upgrade a nonrev on one leg. Once I explained, it was fine.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by i2ad10head
2 of the 3 tickets are award tickets--so i am not trying to double dip. I am just trying to book my daughter a flight, but their wait times to do so is outrageous and i cannot do it online (as a stand alone ticket).
------
You can book her as a stand alone ticket....(as an adult). Put in your date of birth and it can be fixed at the airport at check-in back to her d.o.b.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.