Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-service bag drop coming to MSP

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Self-service bag drop coming to MSP

http://news.delta.com/delta-testing-...ce-bag-drop-us

Delta is introducing four self-service bag drop machines at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport this summer, a $600,000 investment that allows customers to quickly, securely and easily check their own bags. One machine will be equipped to test facial recognition technology to match customers with their passport photos through identification verification, a first for U.S. carriers.

Self-service bag drop“We expect this investment and new process to save customers time,” said Gareth Joyce, Delta’s Senior Vice President – Airport Customer Service and Cargo. “And, since customers can operate the biometric-based bag drop machine independently, we see a future where Delta agents will be freed up to seek out travelers and deliver more proactive and thoughtful customer service.”

The airline’s introduction of self-service bag drops and facial-recognition technology is a natural next step in its work to streamline airport processes and is complimented by Delta's industry-leading radio frequency identification technology. Previous self-service innovations like ticketing kiosks and check-in via the Fly Delta Mobile app have transformed congested lobby areas and drastically improved customer satisfaction scores.

Delta also worked with the Transportation Security Administration to implement the first automated screening lanes in the U.S. at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Other innovations include developing a groundbreaking app that helps pilots avoid turbulence for a more comfortable flight, launching the industry’s most interactive airport wayfinding maps on the FlyDelta mobile app and strategically enhancing its boarding process.

“This is the next step in curating an airport experience that integrates thoughtful innovation from start to finish,” Joyce said. “We’re making travel easier than ever for our customers and continuing to deliver a leading customer experience.”

The airline will collect customer feedback during the trial and run process analyses to ensure that this lobby enhancement improves the overall customer experience. Studies have found that self-service bag drops have the potential to process twice as many customers per hour.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: DL FO
I have used the self-serve system with Southwest - it was very easy, and definitely better than waiting in line for a human to tag the bag and put it on the conveyor.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by mpheels
I have used the self-serve system with Southwest - it was very easy, and definitely better than waiting in line for a human to tag the bag and put it on the conveyor.
How does Southwest verify ID?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Widgets
How does Southwest verify ID?
It's been 12 months, but IIRC, I scanned my driver's license.

Edit to add - I also may have shown ID to the person at the bag drop?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by mpheels
It's been 12 months, but IIRC, I scanned my driver's license.

Edit to add - I also may have shown ID to the person at the bag drop?
I think self-tag and personal ID verification would be the next natural step systemwide instead of facial rec... but this would put Delta ahead of all the self-tag airlines if it goes to every airport. It sounds expensive but compared to high labor costs it's probably worth it.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I have used this with UA and in Australia with QF.

With UA the kiosk prints the bag tag and gives instructions on how to apply. You then bring the bag to a person (usually contractor) that checks ID, confirms the weight, and scans the tag.

With QF you bring the bag to a machine that does the weight and size checking automatically before conveying the bag away.

The DL system looks to be a lot more like QF.

I think the ID check is worthless. The bag is getting screened regardless and the people checking the IDs are unlikely to be trained to do much besides glance at the ID and maybe make sure it matches the tag.

Old May 15, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
This will be nice.

Nothing more frustrating than all I want to do is check my bag and instead I have to wait 5-10-15 minutes, even in SkyPriority because of the people ahead of me in line having to rebook, change flights, or check an inordinate amount of oversize/overweight international bags.

If I can do it myself, I can be through that process in under 2 minutes.

The current system holds up many to mange the exceptions.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Jetblue does this at JFK. But they simply have an agent near the drop area that verifies your ID, the bag's weight and destination. Hope this makes it way to NYC soon!
Old May 15, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
This will be nice.

Nothing more frustrating than all I want to do is check my bag and instead I have to wait 5-10-15 minutes, even in SkyPriority because of the people ahead of me in line having to rebook, change flights, or check an inordinate amount of oversize/overweight international bags.

If I can do it myself, I can be through that process in under 2 minutes.

The current system holds up many to mange the exceptions.
Sorry, buddy, but I'm calling you out for Stockholm Syndrome.

Delta could staff baggage check lines adequately and chooses not to. Their solution is to have us do more work ourselves. There may be a place for that - getting your own drink at McDonald's - but there's just so much they can demand while claiming to be in a service business.

In the U.S., this feature debuted with Alaska Airlines five years ago.

https://splash.alaskasworld.com/News...522_053107.asp
Old May 15, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Delta could staff baggage check lines adequately and chooses not to. Their solution is to have us do more work ourselves. There may be a place for that - getting your own drink at McDonald's - but there's just so much they can demand while claiming to be in a service business.

No that's different. This is like at YYZ for transborder flights. You scan ID, print out tags, apply, and take bags to station where you place on belt, scan your BP and it takes it away. What has been done so far you tag and then still hand off to an agent.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Will these new machines also issue a priority tag for those of us who are meet the needed criteria to have one of those tags?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Stockholm

I experienced self baggage check in ARN last week taking a SAS flight to CPH. It was an easy process, other than getting the hang of attaching the tag properly to the bag and remembering to take my claim check. It certainly was quicker than waiting in a line of people who had more to do than check their bags.

Also, interestingly, no one checked my ID at any point in the process. I boarded the flight without proving my identity at anytime between arriving at the airport and boarding the plane. I simply used the boarding pass that I printed at my hotel to check my bag and enter security.

Old May 15, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles

--------
But nobody seems to want to use the expression "customer service" anymore. Instead it's now the "customer experience" which pretty much puts it all on the customer to make it a good experience for themselves - no other humans necessary, or so they would have us believe.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The facial recognition part of DL's system will require a passport.

However, how many people traveling domestic carry their passport book if they even have one? I do and I suspect the same is more likely to be true for elites, but many USA citizens don't even have a valid passport, although it wouldn't surprise me if the percentage were slightly higher in MN.

For international trips, most people need to show the passport to a DL agent, so I don't see how this will save passenger time, as opposed to DL staff time.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
--------
But nobody seems to want to use the expression "customer service" anymore. Instead it's now the "customer experience" which pretty much puts it all on the customer to make it a good experience for themselves - no other humans necessary, or so they would have us believe.
Many people like not having to deal with anyone. Look at online ordering for restaurants/pizza. It's just as easy and often even faster to call, but people will order online all the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.