Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pilot hits passenger during fight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pilot hits passenger during fight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: none
So the alternate headline would be something like this:

"Passenger assaulted on Delta flight. Crewmember stands by and does nothing to help."
or
"I was assaulted on a flight right in front of a pilot who ignored the whole incident.":
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
From TMZ: (excerpt):

The Delta pilot who smacked a passenger and then walked away delivered the punch to get the woman to release a choke hold she had on the woman she was fighting ... at least that's what the airline concluded.

When you watch the video, it's confusing. It appears the pilot almost gratuitously delivers the punch out of frustration and then walks away. But a Delta official tells TMZ the video doesn't show everything, and based on interviews with the pilot, eyewitnesses and information from cops ... the pilot saw the woman in question choking out the other woman. And the pilot did what he could to release the dangerous grip.

Neither of the women wanted to press charges against anyone. "
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Have to agree after watching the video that its good eyewitnesses said there was more to pilots actions. Agree that it looks like he walks over and slaps the lady on the ground, while doing nothong to the one that appears to be hitting her. Then the other woman sits on the slapped woman and it appears he does nothing except say something.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
The problem IMHO is not just airports, it is humanity (at least in the USA) in general, we tolerate more than we ever have before and we have let our standards down to a point where stuff like the fight is ok if it happens.

While working in the ER treating a stabbing victim involved in a gang fight, some of the gang members came in to be with the gang member I am guessing. In the waiting room they got into it with rival gang members waiting for their member who was being treated by a different MD.

Nobody seemed to understand that they were in a hospital and certain level of decorum is required. When a nurse asked then to be quiet, F this and F that and I had enough and asked the Police Officer to step in and only after cuffing two of them did they settle down.

The pilot did nothing wrong it seems, I myself might have simply called the Police and reported a fight to avoid and liability, but the Pilot felt differently and who am I to question his judgement.
I wouldn't tar all of humanity with that brush. Most people act better than gangbangers and their groupies. Most of the time.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Have to agree after watching the video that its good eyewitnesses said there was more to pilots actions. Agree that it looks like he walks over and slaps the lady on the ground, while doing nothong to the one that appears to be hitting her. Then the other woman sits on the slapped woman and it appears he does nothing except say something.
He was so brave to take on those two crazy women..and to put them in their places. He has shown we won't stand for this kind of stupidity and this kind of american gangsterism.

He did the right thing and should be commended.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wolf72
He was so brave to take on those two crazy women..and to put them in their places. He has shown we won't stand for this kind of stupidity and this kind of american gangsterism.

He did the right thing and should be commended.
However thats the one issue legally with what he did. It wasn't his place to put them in their places. A cop has immunity and the duty to do so, you, me, the pilot, not so much.

I'm glad he stepped in. However i dont think slapping one, and then walking away while the other holds them down was the correct method. If going to intervene then get between them and don't let one continue.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:25 pm
Suspended

However thats the one issue legally with what he did. It wasn't his place to put them in their places. A cop has immunity and the duty to do so, you, me, the pilot, not so much.

I'm glad he stepped in. However i dont think slapping one, and then walking away while the other holds them down was the correct method. If going to intervene then get between them and don't let one continue.

That's true. Wondrr if anytjokg will happen to him for saying "i won't stand for this anymore!"
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
" At one point, one of the fighters takes the other woman to the ground, then wraps her legs around her neck and head in an apparently choke hold. That is when the pilot, clad in his white shirt and pilot’s cap, walks over and tries to intervene. He grabs the woman’s wrist and strikes her, although it’s unclear whether he does it with an open or closed fist."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2ea35e4bd847

^ to the pilot.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It's not just people flying but how people react to others in their daily lives. How many angry drivers do you see, people who simply don't extend common courtesy to others and such. Two ladies fighting on the jet bridge says something about our society.
+1
In my opinion, there is no such thing as "Air Rage". Anyone who works in retail, especially in lower income areas, has had to deal with the same stuff. I know from experience. In addition to breaking up fights and dealing with drunks and shoplifters, I have seen people peeing in the aisles, and twice defecating in the retail area. Also had a gun pulled on me once. It does say something about our society and it ain't good.

Last edited by bigbuy; May 1, 2017 at 4:40 am
Old May 1, 2017, 5:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigbuy
+1
In my opinion, there is no such thing as "Air Rage". Anyone who works in retail, especially in lower income areas, has had to deal with the same stuff. I know from experience. In addition to breaking up fights and dealing with drunks and shoplifters, I have seen people peeing in the aisles, and twice defecating in the retail area. Also had a gun pulled on me once. It does say something about our society and it ain't good.
That's america for you today. Sad state. But there is hope...I have hope....that there still are good people. The pilot did what was right.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait - the video doesn't tell the entire story?
Old May 1, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
Maybe I don't know how good it used to be as a relatively new flyer, but I think Main Cabin travel on most airlines is overall enjoyable. It's a matter of setting proper expectations and having a good attitude. Even Spirit is good if you know what you pay for.
Originally Posted by rickg523
Couldn't agree more. But at least in the States, airlines advertise the Premium experience but sell steerage. The dissonance between travel as advertised and travel as experienced sends some people off. This applies to life at large in America. The image of the American lifestyle presented in advertising (particularly) is so at odds with the reality that many Americans live through each day, the dissonance sends some people over the edge eventually.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It's not just people flying but how people react to others in their daily lives. How many angry drivers do you see, people who simply don't extend common courtesy to others and such. Two ladies fighting on the jet bridge says something about our society.

Some things have gotten better over the years, some things have gotten worse. I think the experience today is better overall than in the '90s when I began flying. I disagree that they are advertising a premium experience, but selling steerage - you get what you pay for, and you aren't paying that much. Biggest cause of the lack of decorum on flights is that air travel has become so cheap, anyone can afford it. In the 90's, I was paying $400RT for flights on my TCON. That route is still the same price (and sometimes less). That behavior has always existed - it was always present where I grew up...boys will be boys as they say, but because of the media and travel becoming so cheap, we have more exposure to it so it just seems like it has gotten worse.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Why is the DL (unclear, incomplete) video exempt all of a sudden ? In all cases, Dao's video on UA and the stroller woman on AA we see the video rolling AFTER the supposed "assaults".
With Dao I'm not defending the guerrilla tactics of the airport police pulling him off but did anyone actually see Dr. Dao being pushed into or knocked into the armrest by the goon squad? They're just going to stick to their story and say he "fell" into it.

As far as the stroller women, she was probably annoyed, embarrassed and very angry that she wasn't getting her way. The FA came close but did NOT hit her or the baby with the stroller (obviously he had to struggle with it in the aisle with her and other people getting on and she probably hung right on top of him without having enough sense to move away) and no doubt she then used that close (near) encounter as a way to attack AA by sobbing and faking a near-miss. She gets her rear end wiped with her tickets refunded and an upgrade to F-class and still will sue AA.

Back to Delta, they need to get their dose of a strong lawsuit - because we can guess that one or both of these fighting cats will want to sue them. The pilot should have just kept walking as it appears he showed some hot-headed reaction by that body slamming punch (not that they didn't deserve it). I wouldn't have wanted to see him walk onto another airplane to fly it that day......Sorry, my point is we never really see complete videos, what happened before the video started rolling ?....that's why people grabbing their phones and filming is dangerous if we don't get the before, during and after (verbal, eyewitnesses etc). Mystery solved.

Last edited by FlyingNone; May 1, 2017 at 11:22 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 3:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Why is the DL (unclear, incomplete) video exempt all of a sudden ? In all cases, Dao's video on UA and the stroller woman on AA we see the video rolling AFTER the supposed "assaults".
With Dao I'm not defending the guerrilla tactics of the airport police pulling him off but did anyone actually see Dr. Dao being pushed into or knocked into the armrest by the goon squad? They're just going to stick to their story and say he "fell" into it.

As far as the stroller women, she was probably annoyed, embarrassed and very angry that she wasn't getting her way. The FA came close but did NOT hit her or the baby with the stroller (obviously he had to struggle with it in the aisle with her and other people getting on and she probably hung right on top of him without having enough sense to move away) and no doubt she then used that close (near) encounter as a way to attack AA by sobbing and faking a near-miss. She gets her rear end wiped with her tickets refunded and an upgrade to F-class and still will sue AA.

Back to Delta, they need to get their dose of a strong lawsuit - because we can guess that one or both of these fighting cats will want to sue them. The pilot should have just kept walking as it appears he showed some hot-headed reaction by that body slamming punch (not that they didn't deserve it). I wouldn't have wanted to see him walk onto another airplane to fly it that day......Sorry, my point is we never really see complete videos, what happened before the video started rolling ?....that's why people grabbing their phones and filming is dangerous if we don't get the before, during and after (verbal, eyewitnesses etc). Mystery solved.
Very quickly..

1-Dr Dao was a 68 yr old grandfather who was not only mistreated but then essentially dragged off the plane and badly injured. Settled. UA learned a lesson.

2-Mom and babies-we don't know if she got accidently hit or didn't get hit and just over reacted because she was having a bad day and was fustrated leaving the FA innocent but was angry he was being blamed for something he may or may not have done. The chicken is in the pot on this one.

3-Pilot did the right thing breaking up a stupid fight that should not have happened. What happened to security at the gates?
Old May 2, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by wolf72
What happened to security at the gates?
has there ever been consistent security at gate area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.