Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Urgent trip to restroom gets man kicked off Delta flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent trip to restroom gets man kicked off Delta flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
I believe these incidents have been going on for some time, but now are starting to get more attention on social media - albeit the UA incident was definitely an extreme.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
I don't know about Delta... but I was on United sitting in the dreaded aisle seat where the electronic/media box was located. If someone sitting in that seat was not permitted to use the lavatory and ended up peeing all over the seat, wouldn't the liquid cause problems for the electronic box?
1) Those seat cushions are extremely absorbent.

2) I'm not a design engineer but I would have an extremely hard time believing that electronic/media boxes on aircraft haven't been designed to withstand fluids spilled on them. What if you spilled your Mai Tai on the way to Hawaii on the electronic/media box?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
I believe these incidents have been going on for some time, but now are starting to get more attention on social media - albeit the UA incident was definitely an extreme.
Similar incidents have happened since the first airline tickets were sold almost 100 years ago (human nature). With the combination of high quality video capabilities on cell phones along with brain dead news programs, these viral videos are getting more common.

(Completely off topic: now that everyone has video on cell phones, why aren't there any UFO videos? )
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by itsallgood
I figure they would somehow be able to deal with the liquid if they are meant to be used as flotation devices.

Similar incidents have happened since the first airline tickets were sold almost 100 years ago (human nature). With the combination of high quality video capabilities on cell phones along with brain dead news programs, these viral videos are getting more common.

(Completely off topic: now that everyone has video on cell phones, why aren't there any UFO videos? )
Also, my personal opinion is that flyers (and people in general) are feeling more entitled and/or rebellious, so they don't want to follow the rules set forth.
(And I'm pretty sure none of us want cell phone video of an alien getting dragged off a UFO )
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:32 pm

2) I'm not a design engineer but I would have an extremely hard time believing that electronic/media boxes on aircraft haven't been designed to withstand fluids spilled on them. What if you spilled your Mai Tai on the way to Hawaii on the electronic/media box?
True... but I once killed the SQ Spacebed(their older business class on a 777 flight from SFO to ICN) by spilling an entire glass of orange juice. It got stuck in the sleeping positing and I had to move to another seat. (fortunately, I never got the repair bill from SQ)
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:15 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Just watched two videos on You Tube. I am not sure where Corboy & Demetrio
are going to put all the money they are going to make representing passengers.
To me the best video would be of the FBI agents listening to the story and saying " you want him arrested for a federal crime because he had to pee?".
At least they had some common sense.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Hi Pilot
Stop for the following reasons

I must have coffee now.
I need to stretch my legs.
I forgot to say hi to my friend in 30J
I need a snack- my stomach is growling
I think I left my phone in the lounge in another terminal.
I don't like this plane.
Is there an emergency chain to pull to stop the plane? I want to get down.
It is your fault- you shouldn't have served coffee. Coffee always makes my bladder sensitive,
If I can't go to bathroom, can I have an empty cup?
It is unfair- you allowed another body function during take off.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Some of you people are such jerks. 99.99...% of people don't get up to use the lav during taxi.

Do you really think people are going to get hurt if someone uses the lav while the plane is moving 10 MPH or, even better, zero, while waiting for takeoff?

Use some common sense for crying out loud.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by theddo
It doesn't matter if he wins or not, or if it is thrown out of court or not. Anybody actually thinks the doc who was thrown out of the UA flight has a legitimate gripe with UA? For the money offered they had a legal right to refuse to fly him to his destination, they called the cops (who he probably has a legal basis to sue) who evicted him from the plane after he was trespassing.

Does it matter? It has cost UA hundreds of thousands of dollars and they've lost hundreds of millions of dollars in stock value.
Incorrect. In the UA incident, Dr Dao had already boarded so IDB didn't apply. He didn't satisfy any of the listed conditions for removal from the aircraft according to UA's CoC.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Aisle surfing on a 747 on take-off - YouTube

Aisle surfing; Google and check out for yourself. Many of the people who made these laws about standing during taxi and take off do not follow the law themselves.
I know aisle surfing has occured on 747 charters for military personnel overseas.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I repeat - if too much alcohol or coffee or whatever one can't assume flying is perfect and everything will go as expected. So, be conscious of other people and if one is incapable of flying because of bladder issues or alcohol be respectful of others to avoid causing their delays.
I doubt the remaining passengers didn't have one person who also wanted to use the restroom and we ALL know - if you allow one person to go, it will mushroom to 5 and on an active taxi awaiting clearance you don't want to lose your place in line or hold up the busy airport in the USA because you had a beer too many.
The crew doesn't know when clearance will be given to take-off and illegal/unsafe for them to have someone in the restroom so unless the engine is OFF - all passengers must remain in seats with seatbelt.
So, I go back to the passenger - learn to fly.
Why is your assumption/assertion that this person "had a beer too many"?

Learn to fly?

Learn to fly = staying hydrated, and the advice is to drink plenty of water/non-alcoholic fluids while flying/travelling. I won't even get into all the possible medical reasons why someone might have to go urgently after a lengthy delay.

If the aircraft is not actively taxiing, the FA could intercom the pilot and request whether a very quick emergency bathroom visit for one pax was possible, let pax know to go as quick as possible, and then intercom the pilot back when pax is back in their seat. Yes, there is a sterile cockpit policy that prohibits non-safety related communications once the aircraft has pushed back, but a pax being out of their seat is definitely a safety issue that could justify a quick intercom to the flight deck.

It is not "illegal" for a passenger to use the washroom while the engine is running. One engine could be running while the aircraft is stationary in the penalty box area as an example, but pax can use the washroom if a pilot gives the OK.

It's not usually possible while actively taxiing/moving, but there are definitely ways to handle this without going back to the gate and deplaning everyone.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Some of you people are such jerks. 99.99...% of people don't get up to use the lav during taxi.

Do you really think people are going to get hurt if someone uses the lav while the plane is moving 10 MPH or, even better, zero, while waiting for takeoff?

Use some common sense for crying out loud.
You could make the same case for not wearing seat belts in a car. It's the law.

What is it about FAR 121.311 that you don't understand? It's Federal law that passengers must be seated with seat belts fastened while on active taxiways.

Your solution is that airlines should break federal law? That's somehow common sense to you?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
... However, some of the rules are just nuts. I have never understood the whole restriction against being out of one's seat while on a taxiway. You have a plane on a smooth surface moving at 3-5 mph. There is no reason one could not be up at that time. We demand that people remain strapped in the seat on a plane creeping along a ramp or taxiway, but then throw the same person on the airport train or Hertz bus and require them to stand as those transport vehicles rock back and forth or apply sudden brakes.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So you think people should just wander around the cabin during taxiing. What about during take-off? Do you think that is fine and safe, too?

And if not, do you think the average pax knows how much time they will have to wander around until taxi turns into take-off?
Please show me where in his post Robert Leach advocated that "people should just wander around the cabin during taxiing."

Striding with purpose to address an urgent biological need is not "people ... just wander[ing] around the cabin during taxiing."

Do schools even teach logic and debate anymore?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I figure they would somehow be able to deal with the liquid if they are meant to be used as flotation devices.
Ah, yes... the water-absorbing personal flotation device.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
From the blog post by the busy-body who recorded the videos, the "concerned passenger" said she observed that he was on the phone when the FAs performed the safety instructions. Might this be why he wasn't given the benefit of the doubt when he had to use the bathroom. Could some common sense have been applied? Yes.

Both on the part of the FA but also on the part of the pax. Why wait until you're #3 for takeoff? Might you have been able to use the bathroom had you not been talking on the phone before? Is it possible that the FA was on a power trip, sure.

Lastly, I do not find the pax sympathetic because his whole attitude is that I needed to pee so I should be able to do whatever I want. He made no attempt to explain that it was an emergency beyond, I just had to go. And during both conversations he claimed to have done nothing wrong. Fact is he broke the rules. Whether or not you think he should have gotten an exemption isn't the issue as far as his attitude goes. Also, I wish people would own up to the consequences of their actions. Had it been me, I was have gotten off and likely would have been rebooked on the next flight instead of being refunded.

From the video, DL staff did what they were supposed to do. They tried to talk him off and then we when wouldn't go, shut off the engines and deboard everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.