Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Urgent trip to restroom gets man kicked off Delta flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

The way Kima Hamilton sees it, his urgent need to visit the restroom as a Milwaukee-bound Delta jet awaited takeoff was a misunderstanding blown all out of proportion.

In fellow passenger Krista Rosolino's view, it was outrageous that Hamilton was kicked off the flight and that everyone else was forced to exit the plane when it returned to the gate in Atlanta. She took to social media to defend this man she didn't know.

The Delta Air Lines quick take on this incident is that federal law requires passengers to comply with crew instructions, or run the risk of being seen as a security threat. A spokesman promised to get back to me Tuesday with a more detailed response but did not.
Is it too hard for some FAs to use a little common sense? The below is the outcome that should have occurred in this situation...

A passenger from a different Delta flight told Krista Rosolino two passengers needed to use the restroom while the plane prepared to taxi, and in that case the flight attendant simply told the pilots to wait until they were done.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National Executive
What would they have done if he urinated himself at his seat with other passengers around him? This was a no-win situation.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta gold, United silver
Several years ago, my potty-training toddler started calling out "I need to go potty" as we taxied to the runway. I told her to just go in her pull-up b'c we couldn't get up. A flight attendant overheard, radioed the pilots, and they pulled the plane over and stopped so she could make a bathroom run and not soil herself.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I was on flight out of JFK which was sitting on the tarmac for over 30 minutes. A woman got up and headed for the lavatory and the FA told her to sit back down. She told the FA she couldn't wait any longer so the FA called the pilots then lets her proceed into the restroom.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Another example of something that could and should be handled with common sense.

Statistically, occasionally folks are going to have an urgent need to go at an inconvenient time. It's going to happen - whether because of meds, gate delays, whatever.

This must happen to flight crew, even if only very rarely. I wonder what an FA does if s/he is in the jump seat and suddenly has an urgent need during taxi or even takeoff. Do they stay seated, mess themselves, and then clean up as soon as it's safe? Or do they take a chance and use the facilities?

(I have heard a war story from a very old friend of a military flight crew member who did have to soil himself because he had gotten into green beer the night before the mission and he wasn't able to leave his position to go to the toilet. Crew members aren't uniquely immune to this issue).
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:58 am

Common sense thing to do if I were that guy, would be to ring the call button and politely ask permission, but people seem to be forgetting to pack their common sense before they depart for their trip these days.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
Common sense thing to do if I were that guy, would be to ring the call button and politely ask permission, but people seem to be forgetting to pack their common sense before they depart for their trip these days.
Or they rang the call bell and the FA refused to respond. Saw that happen once, and it was a medical emergency, not an urgent request for a PDB refresh.

Some people are innocent first-time flyers. Particularly when they see FAs standing and walking around, they assume it's safe for everyone to do so. They don't realize how dangerous it is for the FAs.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chollie
Or they rang the call bell and the FA refused to respond. Saw that happen once, and it was a medical emergency, not an urgent request for a PDB refresh.

Some people are innocent first-time flyers. Particularly when they see FAs standing and walking around, they assume it's safe for everyone to do so. They don't realize how dangerous it is for the FAs.
or used to flying on MU where they rarely make you sit down during taxi.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
You can't get out of your seat while the plane is on an active taxiway for any reason. It's the rules.

I would also think that the last part of any pre-flight routine is to use the toilet one last time to clear any liquid that remains in your bladder.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:27 pm

For the record, not all emergencies are the result of a stressed bladder or careless timing.

Explosive diarrhea, regardless of cause, can strike anyone at any time, despite the best precautions.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:03 pm

So Delta should risk a huge fine because of "common sense" Sorry Delta's not the one that made up this rule and they shouldn't be expected to risk a fine so......

And he was told "no" decided "the rules didn't apply to me" and headed in anyway. Then he refused to comply with the order to leave resulting in everyone else having to get off, once again "the rules don't apply to me". I expect there's more here than we are getting including his interactions with the FA especially since he took pains to point out that he expected to be abused. Wonder how he reacted to the FA saying "sir you can't do that'? Hmmm.....
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
So Delta should risk a huge fine because of "common sense" Sorry Delta's not the one that made up this rule and they shouldn't be expected to risk a fine so......

And he was told "no" decided "the rules didn't apply to me" and headed in anyway. Then he refused to comply with the order to leave resulting in everyone else having to get off, once again "the rules don't apply to me". I expect there's more here than we are getting including his interactions with the FA especially since he took pains to point out that he expected to be abused. Wonder how he reacted to the FA saying "sir you can't do that'? Hmmm.....
Exactly right. I'm getting a little tired of these stories where everyone thinks the world revolves around them and that the $79 they paid for a flight entitles them to break rules and do whatever they want. Whether it is getting up to use the bathroom while on an ACTIVE RUNWAY or refusing to listen and bringing your stroller on a plane.

and of course - no story would be complete without this classic gem: "Krista Rosolino, in her lengthy open letter to Delta on Facebook, questioned if the color of Hamilton's skin led the airline to mistrust him"
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
For the record, not all emergencies are the result of a stressed bladder or careless timing.

Explosive diarrhea, regardless of cause, can strike anyone at any time, despite the best precautions.
+1
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:57 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

I was on an antibiotic because of a root canal that messed up my insides something crazy....I was on a SW flight earlier this year where I was inside the plane lav until the door closed and then I was stressing until 10,000ft....stuff happens!

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Apr 27, 2017 at 6:30 am Reason: removed attempt to bypass FT's profanity filter
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Exactly right. I'm getting a little tired of these stories where everyone thinks the world revolves around them and that the $79 they paid for a flight entitles them to break rules and do whatever they want. Whether it is getting up to use the bathroom while on an ACTIVE RUNWAY or refusing to listen and bringing your stroller on a plane.

and of course - no story would be complete without this classic gem: "Krista Rosolino, in her lengthy open letter to Delta on Facebook, questioned if the color of Hamilton's skin led the airline to mistrust him"
There are numerous examples of planes being held for a passenger toilet stop.
The whole "rules is rules" argument collapses when you have to add "except when they isn't...my choice."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.