Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Better Business Class: Delta One 747 vs MU777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

i have an award flight booked for Japan later this year with MU on their new 777 for 160k skymiles. Unfortunately the timing may not work and I need to do it later this fall. Unfortunately partner awards are now 190k but I found delta one flights from DTW on the 747-400 for the same 160k price and the best part is the flight times are significantly shorter too (15hrs total vs 22).

Was wondering whether id be missing out on a better overall experience by switching to all delta metal vs the MU? I've never flown on a 747 but have been in the delta one 777-200 lie flats a few times. I hear the MU 777 is a great hard product but is lacking in the soft product side.

Would love everyones thoughts!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Take the 747 hands down. I find the MU 777 and service decent, but nothing going out there beats the DL 747. Especially on the UD, 1-1 makes for a very private, almost private plane like cabin.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Agree with flyerco. Delta's 747 upper deck configuration (1-1) is the last of its kind, and will be retired here shortly. The space is second to none.

Only quibble is that the overhead lockers on the upper deck are slightly smaller than the lower deck due to the curvature of the airframe, but it's no issue--FAs will usually be happy to put your carry-on in a closet by the galley.

Delta's 747 1-1 upper deck configuration is also superior to their 777 product. I'm not a fan of their 777 product; it feels cramped and I don't like looking out onto the aisle. It definitely feels less private.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
+1 on the 747 UD. The others don't even compare... Best flights I've ever had. Not even close.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I wouldn't fly MU again for free, even in First.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: DL-G, UA,Hilton,Hertz
Originally Posted by Goduke15
Hi guys,

i have an award flight booked for Japan later this year with MU on their new 777 for 160k skymiles. Unfortunately the timing may not work and I need to do it later this fall. Unfortunately partner awards are now 190k but I found delta one flights from DTW on the 747-400 for the same 160k price and the best part is the flight times are significantly shorter too (15hrs total vs 22).

Was wondering whether id be missing out on a better overall experience by switching to all delta metal vs the MU? I've never flown on a 747 but have been in the delta one 777-200 lie flats a few times. I hear the MU 777 is a great hard product but is lacking in the soft product side.

Would love everyones thoughts!
"QUEEN OF THE SKIES" better Exp all the way around^
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Awesome thanks so much for the responses!! Look forward to changing my flights then!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
We have to start a FT kickstarter campaign to buy an old 747 from DL - Make the whole cabin 1-1 D1
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:52 pm
Suspended

It seems everyone in the blogosphere feels that the reverse herringbone seat design, used by Delta on the A330 and 747 jets, is considered the best. Let’s see if that is in fact the case and you can start a full screen slide show by clicking any photo or just watch on the clip below:

I was really looking forward to this flight as I have flown just about every Delta One seat,One the A330-200 the Delta One cabin is broken down into two sections with a mini cabin toward the back with a galley in-between. including this one on a 747, but not on the A330.

One the A330-200 the Delta One cabin is broken down into two sections with a mini cabin toward the back with a galley in-between.

Bedding is Westin “Heavenly” and you get a large and small pillow to enjoy. On Asian routs like mine you also get slippers and Delta One branded jammies.

Ethan Stark
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EthanStark
It seems everyone in the blogosphere feels that the reverse herringbone seat design, used by Delta on the A330 and 747 jets, is considered the best. Let’s see if that is in fact the case and you can start a full screen slide show by clicking any photo or just watch on the clip below:

I was really looking forward to this flight as I have flown just about every Delta One seat,One the A330-200 the Delta One cabin is broken down into two sections with a mini cabin toward the back with a galley in-between. including this one on a 747, but not on the A330.

One the A330-200 the Delta One cabin is broken down into two sections with a mini cabin toward the back with a galley in-between.

Bedding is Westin “Heavenly” and you get a large and small pillow to enjoy. On Asian routs like mine you also get slippers and Delta One branded jammies.

Ethan Stark
I have flown the LAX-NRT-MNL a few times since 2014, some of which were in D1. I really did like the upper deck on the 747. However, I didn't get any of the magic jammies. I only got them on LAX-SYD.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
UD on a 747, no question.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Also, Delta is retiring the 747, a real classic. Enjoy the trip, because the next time you see a 747 could very possibly be in a museum.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Also, Delta is retiring the 747, a real classic. Enjoy the trip, because the next time you see a 747 could very possibly be in a museum.
+1 on that.
Actually jealous you get to fly it ... enjoy!

(also I'm a massive MU basher - but the 744 chance here is what got me to pile on here)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.