Wiki Posts
Search

AC power unit out of gas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:47 pm
AFW
Original Poster

AC power unit out of gas

Last Wednesday I was on a flight from Orlando to Atlanta that was delayed about 5 hours because of the weather stop in Atlanta. After about 5 or 6 of us had boarded, the captain came out of the cockpit and said something to the FA's. The FA's then stopped people boarding. The captain then came into the cabin and announced that the power unit for the outside AC unit had run out of gas and that he was stopping boarding so that the additional bodies would not be heating up the cabin even more. He was very apologetic (and seemed to be a little embarrassed that someone would let the unit run out of gas). I jokingly asked how many Sky Miles we would get. He remarked that I should write Delta just so someone in operations would have a record of the gas situation. Boarding started again about 15-20 minutes later, so it was not a very long delay.

I wrote Delta, mentioning the delay and the AC power unit. However, I emphasized that the primary purpose of my email was to commend the captain for the action he took and for letting the passengers know what was happening. (I had gotten his name and employee number.)

I just received a phone call from Delta, apologizing for the delay and the AC problem and thanking me for my comments about the captain. She also said that she was depositing 10,000 Sky Miles into my account.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:01 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
How late did your flight arrive at the gate at your destination?

What's your status level?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Since when do they run on gas? They're all electric AFAIK. Never seen/heard of a gas powered a/couple unit. They're normally connected to the same power as the jet bridge.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:21 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Since when do they run on gas? They're all electric AFAIK. Never seen/heard of a gas powered a/couple unit. They're normally connected to the same power as the jet bridge.
I think that OP means the auxiliary power unit which was powering the climate systems ran out of fuel.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:22 pm

Portable heater and AC carts run on gasoline. They typically get a pre-use inspection every morning and checking for fuel is one item. Some jetways come with power sources so that carts aren't needed.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:23 pm
AFW
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
How late did your flight arrive at the gate at your destination?

What's your status level?
I don't know exactly how late we were, since Atlanta was my final destination and the arrival time was of no consequence to me.

I am a Platinum this year (after two years as a Diamond).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:48 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by AFW
I wrote Delta, mentioning the delay and the AC power unit. However, I emphasized that the primary purpose of my email was to commend the captain for the action he took and for letting the passengers know what was happening. (I had gotten his name and employee number.)

I just received a phone call from Delta, apologizing for the delay and the AC problem and thanking me for my comments about the captain. She also said that she was depositing 10,000 Sky Miles into my account.
Professionally handled by both you and Delta, I would say. Kudos.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Widgets
Portable heater and AC carts run on gasoline. They typically get a pre-use inspection every morning and checking for fuel is one item. Some jetways come with power sources so that carts aren't needed.

If the air on the jetway was inoperative, that would explain why a portable one was used.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow you got a response already? When did you send in a complaint to DL?
Figured they'd be backed up for a while getting through all of the emails from last week and weekend.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:59 am
AFW
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Wow you got a response already? When did you send in a complaint to DL?
Figured they'd be backed up for a while getting through all of the emails from last week and weekend.
I sent the email the day after the flight, Thursday, April 6.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by C W
I think that OP means the auxiliary power unit which was powering the climate systems ran out of fuel.
If you're referring to the on-board APU, they use jet fuel from from the same fuel tanks the engines use, so you won't be traveling far if the APU runs out.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:04 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by djk7
If you're referring to the on-board APU, they use jet fuel from from the same fuel tanks the engines use, so you won't be traveling far if the APU runs out.
Thanks! Widgets set me straight

Originally Posted by Widgets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.