Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX BOGO, Cash & Miles now can Medallion upgrade & +1 UG changes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX BOGO, Cash & Miles now can Medallion upgrade & +1 UG changes!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
This is great. Just verified it is updated in an old unused Companion Certificate T&C in my acct. My wife and I don't travel together that often, but this will make me more inclined to use the certificate instead of miles for my wife's seat. Even though the companion certs are eligible for mileage upgrades or Certificate Upgrades, just the possibility of comp upgrades to C+/FC make it worth it to me.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now we just need Delta to add Hawaii as a destination . . .
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yay Delta

So excited about this improvement
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
I still believe when flying with a +1 that the upgrade priority should be at the bottom of the level one is at: DM, PM, etc. The +1 bumps the folks who fly all the time to make a particular level and then get bumped by a flyer who is at a lower level or a general member. Just seems more fair to me!!
+1.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Split Companion Ticket They Are Erroneously Letting Me Upgrade?

I used my Amex Platinum companion ticket for a recent Wisconsin --> Florida itinerary for a friend and me to go to tennis camp. I know that there are no upgrades on these tickets, even to EC+/W. After booking I saw this on the Manage My Trips --> Upgrade Request page when it wouldn't let me do anything.

Today, however, when I went in to that page, the boxes to request upgrades were available. So I checked them all and submitted. The 3 flights with EC+/W seats (4th is CRJ200) immediately upgraded to WU and I confirmed seats there. They also then said that First upgrades were requested.

I doubt I'm going to get upgraded further but my buddy and I are going to be spending 100+ hours together on this trip, so if my odds are higher by splitting this itinerary to improve my upgrade chances, should I request it?

I don't even know if they will split a companion ticket. Probably not. Do people see upgrades to WU on companion ticket? It would not let us do it before but now it does. Maybe the RU will never even possibly happen but figure I'd ask since my first time using this.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
policy change announced last week but lost in the cluster
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Shoot, sorry. Will they let me split so I can get upgraded if not enough seats for both?

Moderator, can you combine my thread with the one jrl767 referenced?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bergamini
Shoot, sorry. Will they let me split so I can get upgraded if not enough seats for both?

Moderator, can you combine my thread with the one jrl767 referenced?
If you split the record, your companion "could" lose his C+ upgrade (not likely at this point) but still possible.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
I would keep your PNR together - you'll clear at your status (not after everyone else any more), and the chance of you losing the upgrade because you are the final spot on the upgrade list (and companion would be -1) are very small. If you find yourself in that exact situation on the day of the flight, let the GA know and ask if you can be split up at that point.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
I had actually sent this email to DL back in February (with a gracious noncommittal response):

>>>Delta has made several changes recently that are customer friendly - and really causes the airline and the award program to have a better reputation. The way that the Delta Comfort cabin selection handles for Medallions has made it a little easier (IMHO) since as Medallions we now know we are in the queue for a seat, and my "success rate" has been good. On the other hand - the handling of seating in Delta Comfort as an UPGRADE has had an (unanticipated?) negative impact for Medallions traveling with non-Medallions on award tickets. It would seem a nice little "compromise" to allow at least ONE companion upgrade to Delta Comfort (if not first class) on these tickets. No reply necessary if you promise to put this suggestion in front of someone who has at least a smidgen of authority to put it on the "consideration plate!" That's all. <<<

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the changed policy which was recently announced...AND with the fact that it now includes the companion certs! Wow!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
I would keep your PNR together - you'll clear at your status (not after everyone else any more), and the chance of you losing the upgrade because you are the final spot on the upgrade list (and companion would be -1) are very small. If you find yourself in that exact situation on the day of the flight, let the GA know and ask if you can be split up at that point.
This. With the new UG priority rules, there isn't a ton of upside (WRT upgrades) to be had from splitting your PNR, and quite a bit of potential downside, especially with the companion tickets.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just booked SEA-MSP-IAD/DCA-JFK-SEA for next month ... I was satisfied with the seat maps, so I checked the "request C+ upgrade" box and picked normal exit row seats on the first three segments plus a random window/aisle pair on the 763 ... got the UG email maybe 5 min after purchase, went back into My Trips, and moved us to front row window/center on the narrow-bodies and exit row window/aisle on the 763

I'm really very pleased that DL and AmEx got their act together on this ... we have a Los Angeles trip coming up in the fall, and were willing to fly SEA<-->SNA/SAN since the standard coach seats in the E75 are perfectly tolerable for 2-1/2 hours
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott PE
Good to hear...thanks for posting!!!!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta PM
Sitting in 1d LGA-MSP, both the wife & I cleared and we are on a amex bogo companion ticket! Keep climbing!!!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Sitting in 1d LGA-MSP, both the wife & I cleared and we are on a amex bogo companion ticket! Keep climbing!!!
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.