FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   AMEX BOGO, Cash & Miles now can Medallion upgrade & +1 UG changes! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1834950-amex-bogo-cash-miles-now-can-medallion-upgrade-1-ug-changes.html)

Renes Points Apr 6, 2017 8:11 am

AMEX BOGO, Cash & Miles now can Medallion upgrade & +1 UG changes!

From Delta.com: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...d-updates.html

“Now traveling with your companion is even better. Starting April 6, 2017, companions traveling with Medallion Members will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades not only on paid tickets but Award Tickets, Miles + Cash tickets, and Pay with Miles tickets. Companions traveling with a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Member on a SkyMiles Companion Certificate will also be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades. Here’s what Medallion Members need to know:A Medallion Member and a traveling companion may both enjoy a Complimentary Upgrade to First Class, Business Class or Delta Comfort+® when traveling on Delta and Delta Connection carriers, as long as that companion is a General SkyMiles Member or a Medallion Member in the same reservation.Complimentary Companion Upgrades must be requested at delta.com during the booking process*, afterwards in My Trips, or during check-in prior to departure. To easily update your upgrade request preferences for an individual flight through My Trips:Log into delta.com
Select Trips from the drop down menu under your name
Click “Details” on the trip you want to update
Select/Unselect the cabins you would like to be upgraded to in the Upgrade Request section
Click “Confirm” For more information, please visit Complimentary Upgrades.*Requesting companion upgrades through the booking path will be available for Pay with Miles tickets and SkyMiles Companion Certificates beginning April 6, 2017 and for Award Tickets and Miles + Cash tickets by July 1, 2017.”

So what do we think? I know the no +1 fans will cry more but I love these changes! You?

SeaHawg Apr 6, 2017 8:14 am

So in plain English, my AMEX DL platinum companion passes are now upgradeable at my status level? My +1 is a GM, and I'll be DM next month FWIW

SeaHawg Apr 6, 2017 8:16 am

Furthermore, does this open the door to be able to apply GUC/RUC on PWM tickets?

pitpit Apr 6, 2017 8:21 am

I assume everything still has to be under the same PNR for all this? While I love that my gf can get upgraded with me, it's annoying that if she meets me places and then we fly back together, we can't get upgraded!

Renes Points Apr 6, 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by SeaHawg (Post 28137602)
Furthermore, does this open the door to be able to apply GUC/RUC on PWM tickets?

My guess is no as normally only one "type" of Skymiles item per ticket.

DiamondInTheRough Apr 6, 2017 8:27 am

This is great news. Too bad I just returned from the trip I used companion certificate for. Oh well, maybe next time.

iflyalexair Apr 6, 2017 8:29 am

This is amazing.

lov2fly Apr 6, 2017 8:31 am

Just tried to request an existing reservation for May - not available for me. Does the fine print say this is forward going for reservations booked starting today?

gooselee Apr 6, 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by lov2fly (Post 28137656)
Just tried to request an existing reservation for May - not available for me. Does the fine print say this is forward going for reservations booked starting today?

Same here. This is awesome news, and will make the Plat cert useful for me beyond <2 hr flights.

iflyalexair Apr 6, 2017 8:45 am

Interestingly, I looked at one of my upcoming trips on which I used a companion certificate and the "Request Complimentary Upgrade" link was there. I clicked on it, and it brought me to the bottom of the page with the upgrade box. It didn't work, and now that link and box are gone. Looks like it hasn't been fully rolled out yet.

gooselee Apr 6, 2017 9:08 am

I just tried it within the app and it worked. WU both directions now for me and Mrs. Lee. Woohoo!

BenA Apr 6, 2017 9:13 am

Wow, suddenly the companion certificate is actually valuable. ^

Renes Points Apr 6, 2017 9:15 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 28137832)
I just tried it within the app and it worked. WU both directions now for me and Mrs. Lee. Woohoo!

Well I don't know if I would ever call C+ "Woohoo!" worthy but a 1st class UG next would be :D

bretthexum Apr 6, 2017 9:18 am

No luck here yet, but it appears C+ and first are already full... good to see though

gooselee Apr 6, 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Renes Points (Post 28137861)
Well I don't know if I would ever call C+ "Woohoo!" worthy but a 1st class UG next would be :D

Considering we're flying for leisure on an evening flight where I'll have a drink, exit rows were booked, and I was stuck in a middle vs. now we are able to get the 2-seat C+ pair on a 75D, this particular trip qualifies as a "Woohoo!" in my book. :)

Relevant to others, I can also confirm that my itinerary now shows confirmed in WU and UG to FC requested for both of us (same as it does for our other PNRs that are plain ol' paid-with-cash tickets).