Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:37 pm
tmf

Programs: DL PM | Kimpton IC | IHG RA | HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hotturnip
SOS, people. A friend has been stuck 12 hours at ATL waiting for her flight to Albuquerque, and NOW they've cancelled. She says there are literally 1,000 people in the re-book line, the phone line is busy, and the app isn't working for her. She has no status.

Is she screwed? Anything you'd suggest for her? (She's not a frequent flyer.)
Send her to a hotel.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
She lives in the area, so a hotel isn't needed. It's that she can't get re-booked.

She says the app isn't working for her. If she gives me her info, can I re-book for her?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Looking forward to my flight at 10:10 Am out of MSP to LGA tomorrow, just when the storm is supposed to hit the NY Metro area.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Total operational meltdown today across the board. Website and app issues loading itineraries. Phone line busy and can't get through. 4 hr delay leaving Boston and then diverted to gsp because they waited so long in Boston. Now ground stood because they can't handle the traffic. Absolute mess
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
SOS, people. A friend has been stuck 12 hours at ATL waiting for her flight to Albuquerque, and NOW they've cancelled. She says there are literally 1,000 people in the re-book line, the phone line is busy, and the app isn't working for her. She has no status.

I'm very surprised! Thought DL was always good and reliable in IRROPS. Can't she see any GA or a red coat? Why wait in the rebook line? I'm shocked to see that there are 1,000+ people in the rebooking line... doesn't sound like DL to me. AA/UA, sure, but not DL.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:54 pm

Send her to a kiosk and try to rebook there. They're in every concourse.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Kiosk as someone said. Don't need a person.

My SNA flight is now delayed waiting for crew. Departs at midnight they claim. This puts it into SNA well past the allowed curfew but seems WX/MX can allow airlines to ask for approval and almost always granted.

So maybe I can still get in 'today'. What a mess now. If it does it canceled there is very little available for tomorrow which will be bad news for me.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
kiosk as someone said. Don't need a person.

My sna flight is now delayed waiting for crew. Departs at midnight they claim. This puts it into sna well past the allowed curfew but seems wx/mx can allow airlines to ask for approval and almost always granted.

So maybe i can still get in 'today'. What a mess now. If it does it canceled there is very little available for tomorrow which will be bad news for me.
lax lgb ont san...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
We are stuck in LGA and there are several flights to ATL that are severely delayed. 2 cancelled flights too.

Everything pushed back to depart to 10pm
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, she hasn't responded in a while--maybe she figured something out? Or her phone died?

I'll mention the kiosk to her before I sign off (we're doing this via Facebook), but the website now only shows availability tomorrow night. I've suggested she could get a "trip in vain" refund. I imagine there are huge lines at the kiosks as well, considering the large number of displaced passengers. I think her only hope, however, is if DL would consider putting her on UA or AA tomorrow, and they probably won't, and she'd have to stand in line forever to find out. Bad situation all the way around.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Well, she hasn't responded in a while--maybe she figured something out? Or her phone died?

I'll mention the kiosk to her before I sign off (we're doing this via Facebook), but the website now only shows availability tomorrow night. I've suggested she could get a "trip in vain" refund. I imagine there are huge lines at the kiosks as well, considering the large number of displaced passengers. I think her only hope, however, is if DL would consider putting her on UA or AA tomorrow, and they probably won't, and she'd have to stand in line forever to find out. Bad situation all the way around.
DL can't put her on AA - they have no interline agreement. It is extremely unlikely that they would rebook someone with no status to UA in a weather situation, but there is no harm in asking. It's best though if she asks about specific flights, rather than just asking if they will rebook on AA.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
A fellow FTer @jackal is on DL1757 SNA-ATL.

They just diverted to DFW:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...000Z/KSNA/KDFW

I'm guessing this is due to wx.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
2075 got eventually cancelled due to the crew timing out, so I got me a hotel room for the night.

The crew timed out probably due to weather, so I'm not sure I can blame Delta for this, thus this room will likely be on my dime.

Ah well. There are worse problems to have. Like a 5:40am departure tomorrow.
Make that 08:10 departure. I guess the ripple effects will continue for a while.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
She lives in the area, so a hotel isn't needed. It's that she can't get re-booked.

She says the app isn't working for her. If she gives me her info, can I re-book for her?
Exit the secure area and go to the departure area where the lines will likely be shorter. Or have her call you, conference her in, call your medallion number, although even medallions will likely have a long wait right now. Or do both and just use whichever of the two you get served at first.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
My SNA flight is now delayed waiting for crew. Departs at midnight they claim. This puts it into SNA well past the allowed curfew but seems WX/MX can allow airlines to ask for approval and almost always granted.

So maybe I can still get in 'today'. What a mess now. If it does it canceled there is very little available for tomorrow which will be bad news for me.
I feel like your flight is now cancelled

There are just so many storms moving through the area, it gets hard to move flights in and out of ATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.