Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by HDQDD
And the rest of the Southeast. This line could prove much worse than the one Monday.
Many of the public schools in North Alabama are closed for the day. Even my dentist's office is closing early.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
My MCI-ATL was supposed to depart at 12:30pm today, it's now scheduled for 3:06pm (earlier they had it at 2:02pm). Everything ATL-RDU is booked pretty solid. I wonder when I'll get home today. If.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
My MCI-ATL was supposed to depart at 12:30pm today, it's now scheduled for 3:06pm (earlier they had it at 2:02pm). Everything ATL-RDU is booked pretty solid. I wonder when I'll get home today. If.
Can you rebook to RDU through MSP or DTW (or even CVG, but avoid all those CRJ-200s, especially in windy weather) to avoid trying to connect in ATL? Even routing through LGA/JFK could be well worth the hassle today.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
You may have just gotten a little bit of good fortune. When I checked a little earlier (but didn't get time to post because I got sidetracked), your inbound plane wasn't supposed to even arrive MCI until 3:11pm (plane was sitting out a delay at CMH). But since then, an ATL-BHM flight got canceled and your flight took that plane. That's moved your estimated departure from MCI up to 2:36pm.

Of course, your plane still has to get out of ATL.....
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you rebook to RDU through MSP or DTW (or even CVG, but avoid all those CRJ-200s, especially in windy weather) to avoid trying to connect in ATL? Even routing through LGA/JFK could be well worth the hassle today.
I would route through RDU with caution. The same severe storms are headed our way later today. Not expected until later in the evening but if alternatives exist through MSP/DTW I'd grab those.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
I would route through RDU with caution. The same severe storms are headed our way later today. Not expected until later in the evening but if alternatives exist through MSP/DTW I'd grab those.
IIRC RDU's is the OP's destination as it seems to be his/her home airport.

I guess this is an argument for trying to get there as soon as possible today. It might be worth rushing to the airport early and trying to standby for flights.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by apodo77
Thankfully connecting through LGA and not ATL today.
How often does anybody say this?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
They just had another one right near the southern edge of ATL from just south to southeast of it:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=GAZ055&warncounty=GAC063&fi rewxzone=GAZ055&local_place1=2%20Miles%20SSW%20Riv erdale%20GA&product1=Tornado+Warning&lat=33.5661&l on=-84.4082
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
ATL has transition to a ground delay program with delays *averaging* almost 3 hours. Avoid ATL at all costs today.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by HDQDD
ATL has transition to a ground delay program with delays *averaging* almost 3 hours. Avoid ATL at all costs today.
Another wave of storms looks to be passing through in the next hour or so as well...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wheeeee, sitting in the BOS skyclub after the initial rebooking, then another, now another delay, and protected on later flight. Borderline zoo here full of pax trying to get to ATL...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Today's ATL news:
Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines has cancelled about 300 flights in the Southeast due to the thunderstorm hitting the area.

Delta typically has roughly 1,000 peak-day departures a day from Atlanta.

Flights at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport are being significantly delayed due to the thunderstorms, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
Link: AJC - Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm (8:51 a.m. Wednesday, April 5, 2017)
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
SAV awaiting my JFK flight. SKD was 12:20pm, now 2:08pm, but no way that's happening. There's literally no gate space available so they're holding the inbound that landed a while ago on the apron. All the DL gates are ATL bound for now, assuming they're gonna get em out as soon as they're released. Tons of pizza out in the terminal. Still sitting at a two hour connection if we get hit with another hour delay, so for me, I feel okay.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC RDU's is the OP's destination as it seems to be his/her home airport.

I guess this is an argument for trying to get there as soon as possible today. It might be worth rushing to the airport early and trying to standby for flights.
Yes, RDU is my final.

Everything is already overbooked, even going MCI-SCL-RDU is impossible. Just bad luck.

I wonder if they can put me on UA via IAH/ORD/whatever. I'll ask, can't hurt.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
ATL-SNA around 5pm was canceled.
App booked me ATL-MSP-SNA - It was severely delayed out of ATL and likely miss connection.

Medallion line got me booked on the 817 flight and upgraded to FC.

E Concourse SkyClub for the next 5 hours... and possibly more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.