Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you avoid short connection times?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I am not afraid of short connections. I have transited at SIN a few times with a 0:50 connection because the alternatives are very long layovers.

But if there is a good lounge at the connecting airport, I don't really mind sticking around an extra hour. So I don't book close connections (less than an hour) unless there is a real solid benefit.

Sure you can say Delta will take care of you, and they will. But it does add a bit of stress when you need to decide if you are going to run or not.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:19 am

For me it totally depends on the alternative options and what I'm going for.

If I have a very important meeting, or if I'm going to be on the last connecting flight, or the next connecting flight isn't for many hours I'll try for the longer layover.

If the meeting is the next day, or the connection city has a lot of flights afterwards if I miss my connection, I'll chance the short connection.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:27 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yes, OBVIOUSLY there are cases where it makes sense to bake in extra slack. OP's point was that a lot of people do this indiscriminately without thinking about the particular situation. And honestly, that's not a bad strategy for an infrequent traveller. But the more frequently you fly the more you stand to gain from thinking about when it makes sense to be aggressive with scheduling.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I always book the shortest connection possible (that also works for my schedule) when on domestic itineraries.

Why? Because I would rather have my confirmed upgrade on earlier flights. If DL screws up, it's on them, and they will likely reaccom me well. I disagree with injera saying to standby on the earlier flight if you get there early, because then you potentially lose an upgrade and have to fret about seats and getting luggage on without checking it. No thanks.

PLUS - with any sort of delay that makes the connection impossible - I get free reign to change to ANY flight I want regardless of fare class etc. This is a major benefit to me because its basically SDC without the restrictions.

As someone else said - DL is on time 80+% of the time. So its rare any of the above happens. But, when it does - I'd rather have it be on DL and with upgrades etc. confirmed (and with free reign as to new schedule) versus me having to spend extra time on almost every itinerary as an insurance policy against this.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I avoid connections like the plague. But, if I have to connect, I like a little extra time
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH DM, National Exec Elite, SPG, Hyatt Plat
For me, it's about avoiding stress.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by pvn
I can't ever remember an agent getting annoyed with me for wanting to know the details of an itinerary. Are you sure they weren't annoyed with you for some other reason?
This is wildly inappropriate to say of MSP and not pertinent to the thread. I, too, have found agents bound by the clock not willing to be forthcoming in revealing data that inform choices I make about complex trips.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:21 am

I'm a neurotic mess.
I avoid short connections - otherwise I worry when we depart late, worry when we have to wait for an arrival gate, etc.
In general I will hunt for a connection time of 90 minutes to 2 hours.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Some of us can work where-ever we are. Have laptop and cell phone - check. OK then, I'm at the office.

For me I'd rather deal with an hour and half layover then a 35 minute layover and miss the flight then spend 8 hours waiting around until the next flight that has space. Plus I hate running through an airport and getting all hot/sweaty, etc, then barely able to board and find out there's no overhead space, etc. Just not worth it to me.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rcurry01
I understand that, and honestly agree. But in those cases you would normally be stuck for a full 24 hours, so the risk/reward trade off is different.
Generally the short connections that I try to avoid are the ones where a miss would force me into a next-day flight, however, those are often the sorts of flights for which no good alternatives exist. I'd certainly prefer a 1.5-3 hour connection when going overseas to a 30-45 minute "legal" connection where missing it would make me have to wait until the next day to connect. But sometimes, there is no plausible 1-3 hour connection at a similar fare basis available. My worst experience in a bad connection was a flight on AA from SAN to DFW to SCL, which connected to LAN to MDZ. The AA flight from San Diego to DFW was delayed an hour, which made me miss DFW to SCL, and have to overnight in DFW. The next DFW-SCL flight was delayed 6 hours due to mechanical issues, which forced me to overnight in SCL. Instead of arriving in MDZ late on a Thursday, I arrived early on a Saturday, losing a day and a half.

The only bright spot was, I did get into MDZ early enough on Saturday to change some money, otherwise I would not have been able to get any local currency until Monday - except at the hotel at the official rate - which would have been about 60% of the real blue rate.

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Mar 28, 2017 at 3:36 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:38 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Generally I agree, but a lot depends on the purpose for the trip, next flight, lounge options in the airport, time of year, and connection airport. Some specific comments below:

1) If I miss my connection because of delays, that is Delta's problem, not mine. They still need to get me to my destination. Yes, but it's still my problem from a time perspective.
2) With an 80% on time record, things will usually work out just fine. Why would I plan to spend an extra hour or two in an airport when I don't need to 80% of the time. That is a lot of wasted time planning for something that is not likely. For the 20% of time I do need it, I will likely get on the next flight or at worst be stuck for 3-4 hours.International itineraries and domestic segments without a lot of frequency would result in longer than 3-4 hours waiting.
3) When their are delays they are most likely due to weather. Weather impacts incoming and outgoing flights equally. If my first flight is delayed, my connection likely will be too.Not all flights are treated the same from a weather perspective. If your inbound is on a Delta connection carrier, they are more likely to be delayed for weather than mainline, especially in the airports you reference (NYC/ATL/LAX).
4) If it looks like I will miss my connection before I depart, Delta has always accomidated me through a different connection city if possible before I leave my origin.They are very good about being proactive with rebooking, which I appreciate.
One final consideration is comfort on your second leg. For example, if I am flying RDU-ATL-LAX and my RDU-ATL is delayed so that I miss the ATL-LAX flight. The rebooked flight might mean a middle seat in the back vs. a C+ aisle on the originally booked flight. For a midcon or longer that may be worth taking a little longer connection.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Domestic flights (my life) basically as short as possible. Delta's early percentage is much higher than their late percentage.

Yes, seats can be a problem on a missed connection but Viper makes a pretty good effort in booking you in first if you had already cleared the original flight.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I frequently read statements here like, "I never book the 45 minute connection at LGA, JFK, or ATL. If something goes wrong I want to make sure I can make my connection." It seems like this type of statement comes out most frequently for NYC airports and ATL. I understand when those airports have weather/ATC issues things turn into a mess rather quickly, but I just don't understand this logic for avoiding short "legal" connections at any airport. Here is why:

1) If I miss my connection because of delays, that is Delta's problem, not mine. They still need to get me to my destination.
2) With an 80% on time record, things will usually work out just fine. Why would I plan to spend an extra hour or two in an airport when I don't need to 80% of the time. That is a lot of wasted time planning for something that is not likely. For the 20% of time I do need it, I will likely get on the next flight or at worst be stuck for 3-4 hours.
3) When their are delays they are most likely due to weather. Weather impacts incoming and outgoing flights equally. If my first flight is delayed, my connection likely will be too.
4) If it looks like I will miss my connection before I depart, Delta has always accomidated me through a different connection city if possible before I leave my origin.

I can understand avoiding specific airports altogether because of general delays or a bad experience, but I can't understand purposefully lengthening connection times for an ablebodied person. Even if it is the last flight of the day, I would rather try to get home that night and take an overnight in a connection city if something got messed up, rather than stay at my origin "in case" I miss my connection. My time is worth too much. I do 125k+ BIS miles per year, so maybe this is just me as a road warrior.

"If you have never missed a flight, you are spending too much time in airports."

Thoughts?
As they say, "to each their own". As others noted, it comes down to preferences. I'll respond to each of your points with my own preferences:

1) If I miss my connection because of delays, that is Delta's problem, not mine. They still need to get me to my destination.
Except it does become my problem in many ways. First, seat assignments. Yea, I'll likely be able to get a seat on a later flight but it will likely be a terrible (middle) seat. Even regular economy aisle (non-exit row) is very uncomfortable for me at my height. By padding my connection times, I do a better job of making my connections and thus protecting my seats that make flying tolerable. Also, it becomes my problem if the delay (and missed connection) comes down to weather, and there are no seats later that day - DL then tells me I have to pay a hotel out of my own pocket. If I'm traveling for work, they would at least pick up that tab but still annoying.

2) With an 80% on time record, things will usually work out just fine. Why would I plan to spend an extra hour or two in an airport when I don't need to 80% of the time. That is a lot of wasted time planning for something that is not likely. For the 20% of time I do need it, I will likely get on the next flight or at worst be stuck for 3-4 hours.
You view being at an airport waiting on your next flight as "wasted time". Not everyone else does. Some of us enjoy being at the airport, going to the lounge, watching/spotting planes, etc. Having time to grab something to eat is a worthwhile benefit too. Flying East Coast to Seattle via JFK/ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC means a good 7-9 hours (sometimes more) in the air between both flights. Total transit time even with a short layover can be 8-10 hours sometimes. That's a long time to go without eating. Yes, there are Buy-On-Board options but they're limited, overpriced, and mediocre, and it doesn't take many flights to grow tired of the limited options.

3) When their are delays they are most likely due to weather. Weather impacts incoming and outgoing flights equally. If my first flight is delayed, my connection likely will be too.
That's true if the bad weather is at the hub you're connecting through; that's not true if the bad weather is at your origin while the weather at the hub is just fine. Then it's only your flight that is affected.

4) If it looks like I will miss my connection before I depart, Delta has always accomidated me through a different connection city if possible before I leave my origin.
This is true and I haven't had a problem with DL re-accommodating me on alternate routes and such when delays will impact me. But again, that doesn't mean DL is able to re-accommodate me in a seat that's comfortable and flying ATL or JFK to SEA in a non-exit row, middle seat is not where I want to be for 5 to 6 hours.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by kop84
For me it totally depends on the alternative options and what I'm going for.

If I have a very important meeting, or if I'm going to be on the last connecting flight, or the next connecting flight isn't for many hours I'll try for the longer layover.

If the meeting is the next day, or the connection city has a lot of flights afterwards if I miss my connection, I'll chance the short connection.
Same here. As well as it being somewhat route dependent.

First flight of they day in to a hub with 20 different possible later flights? Sure, book that MCT connection, I'll risk it.

Mid-day flight that catches the last flight of the day or a once daily connection? Lets pad that out a bit.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by indufan
Domestic flights (my life) basically as short as possible. Delta's early percentage is much higher than their late percentage.

Yes, seats can be a problem on a missed connection but Viper makes a pretty good effort in booking you in first if you had already cleared the original flight.
This hasn't been my experience at all with VIPR, including on G A P and international Z fares. Every time I've been VIPRed, at least one of the new segments has been booked in coach, including when FC or business class was available on the new flight that was selected for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.