Wiki Posts
Search

Do you avoid short connection times?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Duplicate post
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:19 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
The availability of backup plans is my main criterion for when to stretch a connection, though the urgency of the trip also kicks in. (If getting there even a bit late makes me miss something important, I want more cushion even if the backup plan is the 1 hour later flight; if a delay/reroute means I get home the next day but it's a weekend day, I don't care much.)

My shortest (as booked) connection on DL: a BOS-IND-MSP routing (was $100+ cheaper than the nonstop) with a 23 minute connection. MCT was 20 min, and DL only had three gates at IND (two adjacent, one across from them) so the gate to gate time was minimal. Worst case, I'd catch the next IND-MSP and miss the first couple hours of a get-together with friends. (In reality, we got in ~10 minutes early.)

Making a critical international connection at JFK to a 1/day onward flight? I'll take 2.5 hrs as my "No Stress Connection Time" and spend extra time in the Sky Club if my inbound is early or on time.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I frequently book sub-one hour connections. In over 15 years of frequent travel I've been burned by this policy only a few times. Once at MIA on AA, once at MAD on IB and I was going to be burned two weeks ago at ORD but I rebooked in advance. With an airline like Delta and so many alternatives with different airports and the ability to rebook yourself on DL.com or at a kiosk, I'm happy to take the risk.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
There are a lot of interesting perspectives.

I see a lot of love for the Skyclub. As someone who travels every other week for work, I just can't share that love. They are nicer than waiting in the gate area, but if I have enough time to eat a meal, I would rather sit at a bar get some decent food and maybe have a conversation with someone (if I am in the mood.) The club doesn't really do much for me. Too sterile, too quiet, food not good enough. It's not really somewhere I WANT to spend time. Sure, I'll run in and grab a drink if I have time, but by no means would I arrange my plans around it. In my mind it is a place to do work, not a fun place to hang out. I would rather be on my flight working and getting to where I need to go.

Also, I don't fear IROPS or losing a seat. Those things happen and I know the system well enough to fix them relatively stress free when I can. The risk of being stuck in a middle seat on that 1 out of 20 times I miss a connection, is worth the 19 out of 20 times I get home sooner.

That's just me though.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I like quiet and out of the hubbub and having better bathrooms Also I am more of a snacker and am never looking for a full meal substitute so the soup and tuna salad and some popcorn is fine. I like also the Premium Bar selections.

That said, if I was traveling for work several times a week instead of mostly on my time and my dime once a month or so (and had associated status to get me through IROPS the best) I would not be so leisurely in the connections
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
If I'm traveling in coach by myself with one small carry-on I'm all for short connections. 30-45 min and of course an easy re-routing if I miss a flight.

However if I'm traveling with my wife in first then I want less chance of a missed connection since Delta will have all kinds of excuses why they cant find us a reasonable reroute in first class.

Then with my lounge privileges longer connections times are far easier to take with drinks and food.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I'm retired and a leisure traveler. I prefer longer layovers for many of the reasons already stated as well as a couple of different ones.

1. I like the process of traveling, as well as the destination and enjoy hanging out in airports. I don't want the travel process to include stress and rushing because of a tight or missed connection.

2. I am usually able to select C+ bulkhead seats. I don't want to risk a misconnect and rebooking into a middle seat at the rear of the plane.

3. I walk a lot, for enjoyment (including walking trips in Europe) and fitness. In airports I avoid using the moving sidewalks or trams/trains. Short connections are more likely to force me to use some kind of transportation between gates.

4. I am at an age (70s) of higher risk for DVT. I want to have time to move around between flights.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Domestic - Sure. I am always more worried about my bag making it when it is a work trip.

Domestic to International - Try not to do that. I've done it on a MR with a sub hour and made it fine but again as others have said it's a bit risky.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Depends on the airport, routing, and my flexibility for travel on that particular trip.

Domestic I definitely accept shorter connections, but for some airports like ATL and JFK I like a bit more time so book in the 60 min+ range. DTW and SLC I'll go closer to 45 or less if I'm going to a regional where I'm going to planeside check anyway.
I prefer not to book a connection where my next flight would be already boarding while I'm waiting to get off the first flight, especially with overhead space considerations.

International I always leave more room. I'd rather take the earlier flight with a 2hr stop and wait in the lounge, particularly if missing that intl flight means I lose 24hrs waiting for the next one.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
With only 3 flights a day out of PHF, I envy all of you that have choices on connection times! My choices are usually whether to take the first or second connecting flight...which would generally add hours to the trip. Occasionally I book RIC if the layover gets much over 2 hours.

If I had a choice, I'd avoid MCT connections to avoid the all too real possibility of having to check my carry on, I guess.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rcurry01

I see a lot of love for the Skyclub. As someone who travels every other week for work, I just can't share that love.
I agree. For the few years that PM was the top status and didn't include the then Crown Room, I hardly missed it at all. I will take it for free but the amount I would pay for it is crazy low. I doubt I would pay for a year the amount that it costs for a single day pass.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I love short connections. The shorter the better. And being the lucky guy I am, for the past two years, I have never missed a MCT connection in that time. It helps always being up front.

Now, if I was traveling with my grand kids I would alter that. Short, but not MCT. They would have to hustle. Do them good. Builds character.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I avoid a short connection onto anything with a middle seat or where the next flight has a middle seat. A 40 minute connection to a CR9 with a CR9 as the backup flight? Sure. To a 757? Not a chance. It has been over 1500 flights and 23 years since I've had a middle seat, and I don't plan on starting now, it's one of the main reasons I fly enough to stay elite.

My general rule for domestic or Canada is to have at least 30 minutes over MCT on any outbound legs, and 20 minutes over MCT heading home if I don't have anything critical the next morning.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I sat in a middle seat earlier this year. It was "only" a 2.5 hour flight but amazingly I survived. FWIW I am 6'4" 260lbs. Granted, it was a C+ middle, but still.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I avoid the shortest connection times in MSP and ATL, anything under 45 minutes just isn't comfortable in my opinion, no margin for error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.