Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading on Virgin Australia

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Last time I flew Y on VA they still used *A lounge at LAX. I asked at check-in for a lounge invite. Was not turned down.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Last time I flew Y on VA they still used *A lounge at LAX. I asked at check-in for a lounge invite. Was not turned down.
So they gave you a certificate to enter or something like that?

I use my DL number or VA number on the LAX departures depending on what credit I need (keep status with both). The NZ lounge refused to accept me before I got VA Gold. The VA check in agents told me I 'could try', but I wasn't entitled. Even after I got VA Gold, if my DL number was on the boarding pass, the NZ lounge refused me until they brought my card in (without me) and got my BP reissued with the VA number attached. I had to phone in afterwards and swap it back.

Now that VA uses the EY and EK lounges at LAX, they go off a pre-printed list. if I use my DL number, I don't get on the list. But at EK at least they let me in showing my VA card.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:57 pm

Anyone can give an estimate of how much to upgrade cash at the gate day of flight? Econ to premium eco or business? Will this work on delta award ticket?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Its been almost 2 years -- on 12/30/15, I upgraded a VA PE ticket BNE-LAX for AUD$1000 -- about US$750 or so at the time.
I looked back at my mileage earned for the whole ticket which was DCA-DTW-LAX-NRT-SIN/BNE-LAX-ATL-DCA. Based on my MQM bonuses I think I managed to book split fares -- discounted coach DCA-DTW, discounted business from DTW to SIN. Permium economy (W) from BNE-LAX and discounted FC LAX-DCA. The whole ticket earned $2513 MQDs, of which $865 went for the BNE-LAX leg.
This was a paid ticket on 006 stock -- I think I planned it our using ITA matrix, then called and worked with a agent who was able to make it work. (I transferred Chase Reward points to UA and flew Thai from SIN-BNE.)
tom
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinu11
Anyone can give an estimate of how much to upgrade cash at the gate day of flight? Econ to premium eco or business? Will this work on delta award ticket?
I paid $899 to upgrade Y to PE LAX-SYD. On SYD-LAX they quoted me $2200 to upgrade Y to J IIRC
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:00 pm

Yea... LAX-BNE told at check in desk upgrade from economy to business is $2399
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
ja1

Programs: QFF (Bronze), Velocity (VA WP)
It sounds like UpgradeMe is still possibly a cheaper option than upgrade at the gate, assuming your bid actually wins.

Is there any difference though where an upgrade (through upgrademe) still only earns you the original class of SC/points - but an upgrade at the gate with cash will actually change your booking to give you the new (e.g. Z/J) SC rate ?

I'm looking at SYD-LAX - expertflyer shows a number of seats still open in both J and PE but it's still looking pricey to upgrade (with cash) and of course no points upgrade has been available for a while (didn't worry about getting on the waitlist as that's never worked out for me in the past - though I've seen others who said it has worked..)

It looks cheaper to think about a paid upgrade from LAX-SYD as there's a 20% discount available at the moment on UpgradeMe bids minimum.. the upgrade cost for 2 on the one leg back would still be more than the entire return trip ticket costs currently though :-)
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:05 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
You can only buy up to the seats with extra legroom ($140 or so each leg) which VA can do for you but going to PE is a completely different booking so you'd have to pay the change fee and the fare difference.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ja1
It sounds like UpgradeMe is still possibly a cheaper option than upgrade at the gate, assuming your bid actually wins.

Is there any difference though where an upgrade (through upgrademe) still only earns you the original class of SC/points - but an upgrade at the gate with cash will actually change your booking to give you the new (e.g. Z/J) SC rate ?

I'm looking at SYD-LAX - expertflyer shows a number of seats still open in both J and PE but it's still looking pricey to upgrade (with cash) and of course no points upgrade has been available for a while (didn't worry about getting on the waitlist as that's never worked out for me in the past - though I've seen others who said it has worked..)

It looks cheaper to think about a paid upgrade from LAX-SYD as there's a 20% discount available at the moment on UpgradeMe bids minimum.. the upgrade cost for 2 on the one leg back would still be more than the entire return trip ticket costs currently though :-)
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
You can only buy up to the seats with extra legroom ($140 or so each leg) which VA can do for you but going to PE is a completely different booking so you'd have to pay the change fee and the fare difference.
As ja1 lives in Australia & is a VA ff member (from profile) these posts are more suited to the VA forum. Not the DL forum where where DL freq flyers are asking about upgrades on DL marketed, VA operated DL purchased flights.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:32 am
ja1

Programs: QFF (Bronze), Velocity (VA WP)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As ja1 lives in Australia & is a VA ff member (from profile) these posts are more suited to the VA forum. Not the DL forum where where DL freq flyers are asking about upgrades on DL marketed, VA operated DL purchased flights.
Sorry! Found the thread through the search for VA references and it seemed relevant. You're exactly right as I didn't realise this actual forum was DL - just the specific content was very useful/relevant. I don't know how to move a post to the correct forum though.

In a slightly amusing coincidence, am actually going to be flying DL metal on one of the legs back to SYD in 2 weeks codeshared as VA and had almost the exact reverse of this forum thread (how can a VA FF get DL to do an upgrade based on VA status.. )
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
How soon is the trip? Within about 7 days award seats (Z class) can become available if there are a few seats left - these use the same fare bucket that is used for upgrades.

When (If) you see that, you can call and get upgraded on the spot.

Of course, this is only relevant if you have booked flex/PE.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 23, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.