Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading on Virgin Australia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by worldcurious
Thanks, super helpful. I was trying to decide if it was worth buying Space+ now or waiting for the gate to see what my options are. Sounds like it is possible to upgrade at the gate so I'll wait!
BNE-LAX I upgraded from PE to Business. Space + is still 3-3-3 across rather than 2-4-2 in PE, I think.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If you're a DMX then there's lounge access when on VA. No GUC use, but otherwise you get basically the same benefits. Plus you should be able to use the SC under the partnership.
Yes, in SYD we get lounge access for shower and brekky. But on the layover in LAX, no access as VA is not a SkyTeam member.
My Amex Plat gets me in, but we were with another couple. Luckily, when I showed them the original booking as DL (marketed, bought and birds), they let us all in without paying.

And there is no thing as EC/C+ on VA. PE is a different cabin booking. While we got to choose a row in front of exit that was only two seats, it was regular economy - not benefited rows as it is on DL equipment.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BHammy
Yes, in SYD we get lounge access for shower and brekky. But on the layover in LAX, no access as VA is not a SkyTeam member.
My Amex Plat gets me in, but we were with another couple. Luckily, when I showed them the original booking as DL (marketed, bought and birds), they let us all in without paying.

And there is no thing as EC/C+ on VA. PE is a different cabin booking. While we got to choose a row in front of exit that was only two seats, it was regular economy - not benefited rows as it is on DL equipment.
You should have been granted acess as a DM to SC in LAX if you had a continuing DL flight. Doesn't matter if it was operated by DL/VA, it's part of the agreement between the two.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DMs get a SC membership. With it, you're not required to be flying DL.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DMs get a SC membership. With it, you're not required to be flying DL.
Wasn't a DM at the time, just a PM.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:23 am

You should have been granted acess as a DM to SC in LAX if you had a continuing DL flight. Doesn't matter if it was operated by DL/VA, it's part of the agreement between the two.
"Should have"...correct.

At the time, the "seamless partnership" between DL and VA was only priority check in, baggage and boarding.
But flying twice a year to SYD, it's been anything but seamless. EVERY year, I have an issues with baggage allowance when coming back.

That year of getting bumped to a VA bird, lounge access was not available to VA pax - though now I see that has been added to both Delta's and VA's web site, even though we've never had a problem getting into the VA lounge when we had a layover in SYD.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by BHammy
... But on the layover in LAX, no access as VA is not a SkyTeam member...
My experience has varied. May 2015: no access as GM on international itinerary. (Yes, my ongoing flight to BOS was on DL.) Paid the $29 reduced fee; worth it. August 2016: waved right in. Perhaps the policy change suggested by a post a bit past the quoted post happened in between, perhaps they were being extra-nice because it was during the computer meltdown, or perhaps it depends to some extent on the agent. I expect to be there again next month. We'll see what happens.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:15 am
mmc

Programs: DL Diamond, QF Gold
The VA/DL "alliance" is an odd one - certainly VA and DL don't play completely nicely with each other. I often have issues with getting points/mqms from VA flights, as others point out the major inconsistency with lounge access etc. The VA Premium Economy product is pretty darn nice and the Business class is a step up from the old DL product on DL40/41.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So just give DL a big pile of cash when they sell you a PE/Bus seat and cancel your U class economy seat.

Unsure if VA do that. If they do expect it will be full retail fare difference

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...r-madness.html

To answer my own question, you can indeed upgrade at the VA ticket counter on day-of. It is not cheap but you can do it (it was much cheaper than when I called DL and finally got someone on the phone who was willing to upgrade the ticket). The ticket agent at LAX said you can do it in advance at the ticket counter (i.e. for my return trip) but that it will be more expensive - it will be discounted on day-of. FWIW, my outgoing flight was very empty but it still was $$ to upgrade.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer my own question, you can indeed upgrade at the VA ticket counter on day-of. It is not cheap but you can do it (it was much cheaper than when I called DL and finally got someone on the phone who was willing to upgrade the ticket). The ticket agent at LAX said you can do it in advance at the ticket counter (i.e. for my return trip) but that it will be more expensive - it will be discounted on day-of. FWIW, my outgoing flight was very empty but it still was $$ to upgrade.
So did you pay the $$$ and upgrade?

Non USA based airlines will fly with empty premium economy/business/first class seats having denied upgrades to their own frequent flyers for cash and/or ff miles.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you're a DMX then there's lounge access when on VA.
Incorrect. You get access to VA lounges within Australia (which are only in domestic terminals), that's about it.

At LAX you will not be able to access any TBIT lounges as a DL status pax flying VA (unless you are flying business).
Old May 22, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Incorrect. You get access to VA lounges within Australia (which are only in domestic terminals), that's about it.

At LAX you will not be able to access any TBIT lounges as a DL status pax flying VA (unless you are flying business).
DM, PM, GM get lounge access per the partnership. FO don't. VA should issue a lounge invite. However as another user posted this has been less then a seamless partnership. I've had agents correctly give me one and I've had them deny me.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So did you pay the $$$ and upgrade?

Non USA based airlines will fly with empty premium economy/business/first class seats having denied upgrades to their own frequent flyers for cash and/or ff miles.
Yes, I did.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Yes, I did.
Do you mind sharing the route and cost to upgrade? I think some data points would help shed some light on what to expect.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
DM, PM, GM get lounge access per the partnership. FO don't. VA should issue a lounge invite. However as another user posted this has been less then a seamless partnership. I've had agents correctly give me one and I've had them deny me.
You are wrong, please stop posting incorrect information

The lounge partnership is reciprocal. VA GLD/PLT get lounge access to Skyclubs and DL GM/PM/DM get access to VA lounges.

VA lounges only exist in Australia, in domestic terminals. VA does not offer lounge access to DL members for their international partner lounges. I've lived it, and it is the policy. So please stop saying otherwise.

The only time you get international lounge access when flying VA is when your itinerary includes a DL flight (for example flying DL metal LAX-SYD and onwards SYD-DPS you are entitled to Skyteam lounge access, but this is from the DL metal flight and has nothing to do with VA).

I have never, ever seen VA issue a lounge invite, you just go to the partner lounge (Singapore, Etihad, Air NZ) and show your VA card. They will quickly reject any Delta membership as they are not partnered with DL, only VA. So if you indeed received an invite somewhere, please post the details.

Last edited by CPMaverick; May 23, 2017 at 6:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.