Upgrading on Virgin Australia

Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading on Virgin Australia

I'm flying on Virgin Australia LAX-SYD using a Delta purchased ticket in U class. Can I pay my way to an upgrade to Premium Economy (or use miles or any way whatsoever)? I get an "ineligible" error using UpgradeMe with my confirmation number, so wondering what my options are. Otherwise Space+ may be my only other option? Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Cash is your only option.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm cool with that but when I call Delta they tell me I need to upgrade with VA, and when I call VA they tell me I need to upgrade with Delta. Anyone have experience doing this? Who's right?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a DL or VA flight number?
Non USA based airlines will fly with empty premium economy/business/first class seats having denied upgrades to their own frequent flyers for cash and/or ff miles.
If cash, expect it to be the full retail fare difference.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

The PNR has a DL flight number.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by worldcurious
There's nothing going to be done till day of unless you want to pay full price. DoD you can ask at checkin about a cash upgrade.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So just give DL a big pile of cash when they sell you a PE/Bus seat and cancel your U class economy seat.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
..DoD you can ask at checkin about a cash upgrade.
Unsure if VA do that. If they do expect it will be full retail fare difference

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...r-madness.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:24 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, you can pay for the exit row seats since it's the same cabin. PE isn't really an option for you unless you want to bid on the VA website
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Returning from BNE on VA with a DL issued ticket, I asked at checkin about an upgrade from PE to business. AU$ 1000, which was a great deal.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Cash is your only option.
VA has the "easy upgrade" option.

You simply pay cash for the seat you want.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

How do I do that?

UpgradeMe bidding doesn't seem to work for tickets booked with another carrier unfortunately
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
This is why I avoid the VA bird - which is ironically, usually cheaper than DL metal - for my two hops over the lake per year.
Got IRROPs bump to VA one year - lost SC access in LAX, no option for GUC. Not a bad flight, just not the perks ... just a 'partnership'.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BHammy
This is why I avoid the VA bird - which is ironically, usually cheaper than DL metal - for my two hops over the lake per year.
Got IRROPs bump to VA one year - lost SC access in LAX, no option for GUC. Not a bad flight, just not the perks ... just a 'partnership'.
If you're a DMX then there's lounge access when on VA. No GUC use, but otherwise you get basically the same benefits. Plus you should be able to use the SC under the partnership.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
How do I do that?

UpgradeMe bidding doesn't seem to work for tickets booked with another carrier unfortunately
I've used bidding for a domestic VA flight. For my return BNE-LAX, I asked at checkin if an upgrade was available and was told yes and quoted the price. Also told this was a "new" option for DL issued tickets. Used to be only VA issued. This was December 2015.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
I've used bidding for a domestic VA flight. For my return BNE-LAX, I asked at checkin if an upgrade was available and was told yes and quoted the price. Also told this was a "new" option for DL issued tickets. Used to be only VA issued. This was December 2015.

Thanks, super helpful. I was trying to decide if it was worth buying Space+ now or waiting for the gate to see what my options are. Sounds like it is possible to upgrade at the gate so I'll wait!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.