Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL One offer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
My opinion is the only one that matters.
WELP. Guess we should just go ahead and turn off the internet, then.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
My opinion is the only one that matters. ...
You'll fit in great over at OMNI/PR!

Last edited by GuyverII; Mar 24, 2017 at 11:01 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by bubbashow
ATL-LON is 6.75 hours eastbound, about an hour more westbound.

You'd turn a 7 hour flight into 18 hours over hard product? At what amount do you value your time?
For leisure travel, not to much. All factored in. Have 14 weeks vacation. I have to use it, so why not take my time and travel in style? Plus a nice stopover in beautiful Dubai is not really a bad thing.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
WELP. Guess we should just go ahead and turn off the internet, then.
Post on a discussion board, but doesn't care what others think? Love the irony.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:10 am

My opinion is the only one that matters. If I was in a rush to get to London for business etc, then yes, direct from Atl works, but when flying for leisure I would rather have a nice experience and there are many aviation publications/blogs that agree with my opinion on Delta not even coming close to having the same hard product on international routes as middle eastern airlines. We shall see if the A350 changes this.
While I agree that the DL hard product is nothing special, EK business class isn't that amazing either. No need for the detour to Dubai in any case. If we're talking about paying $11K one way, doing BA F from ATL to LON would be a step up for either DL or EK business ("BA First--the best business class in the skies"), and if you're willing to make a connection in FRA could do LH F which is a serious step up in quality from any business class product and much more direct.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
If the OP would have removed his elite FF number from the booking, is there a chance he also would have been offered the buyup?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Has anyone ever been offered to buy up to DL one on international flights, or is this the beginning of something new and not so wonderful (only if you have status)
Was offered buy up (iirc was under $700) to D1 during OLCI earlier this year out of MSP, declined as had an entire C+ row to myself. Have also down miles at gate to D1 at other US departure points to Europe.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
More data on this. My non-status wife flew solo from SEA-LHR this month and when we repeatedly checked her in, a $799/79.9K miles upgrade offer would appear intermittently. When we actually tried to use it, it would not go through. I called in and after about 20 minutes, they actually got it to go through.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jordyn
While I agree that the DL hard product is nothing special, EK business class isn't that amazing either. No need for the detour to Dubai in any case. If we're talking about paying $11K one way, doing BA F from ATL to LON would be a step up for either DL or EK business ("BA First--the best business class in the skies"), and if you're willing to make a connection in FRA could do LH F which is a serious step up in quality from any business class product and much more direct.
This is actually a really good point. I've done EK J on their 777. It was fine, actually nice to have 2-2-2 seating since I was with Mrs. Lee.

But if flying on my own for business, I'd actually very much prefer a DL 1-2-1 setup. I'd even consider a DL 767 a better hard product than the EK flight I took (granted, I'm apparently one of the few that doesn't have a problem with the 767 footwell).

Soft product between the two was basically the same IMO.

Aside from direct aisle access when flying alone, I don't feel like there's enough of a difference between the flat-bed J offerings on various airlines to justify a significant price difference. Certainly not enough of a difference to justify added connections or significantly longer travel time. I enjoy great flights in F/J as much as the next guy, but I also very much enjoy getting to my destination and doing whatever it is I'm travelling for in the first place.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:45 pm

Lightbulb

If they would have quoted me 11k miles, I would not have been writing this post. It would have been more along the lines of "Delta is the greatest airline to ever fly this planet". Even the phone agent asked if "I was sitting down" when she told me.
HUACA
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:01 pm

Question

My opinion is the only one that matters.
Donald?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by GuyverII
You'll fit in great over at OMNI/PR!

settle down now. When I say "my opinion"
i am relating to the fact that I am paying for this trip so my opinion on the "hard product" is the only one that matters.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AF offers DoD upgrades for all their flights. It doesn't matter who ticketed your tickets. Go into the SC at MSP/ATL/etc and you'll see signs hawking the upgrades.
Thanks for the outstanding advice! Does that apply also to KLM? Maybe I thought it was not generally offered because I did not routinely receive paid upgrade offers on AF at internet check-in until I had started booking on AF ticket stock.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by bubbashow
ATL-LON is 6.75 hours eastbound, about an hour more westbound.

You'd turn a 7 hour flight into 18 hours over hard product? At what amount do you value your time?
Good point bubba-- I have a close friend who is flying with a group from the East Coast to VIE in April on a vacation trip. I searched fares, suggested that she have the whole group book IAD-IST-VIE roundtrip, because the Turkish Airlines fare is $2200 roundtrip in business class and it is hard to obtain four award tickets together in business class. I also suggested that the group make a free sightseeing stopover in IST on the return. She came back to me and said that her friends had already booked, IST appeared dangerous and that it was a roundabout way to travel to VIE. Thus, for her pleasure trip, I recently learned that she booked the $8K roundtrip non-stop on Austrian Air in biz to save the four to six hours extra in each direction on Turkish Air. You are right, some people do value their time! Her whole group could have booked biz together on Turkish for nearly the same price as her single vacation ticket on Austrian!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
settle down now. When I say "my opinion"
i am relating to the fact that I am paying for this trip so my opinion on the "hard product" is the only one that matters.
Fair enough, but as you have already been willing to accept input from unknown internet bloggers on the subject, you will be forced to read my comment :-)

Once you get to lie flat, direct aisle access C product, there really is not that big of a difference. Yeah, many will ..... about the DL767. Or love the old 747 upstairs. Or wait eagerly for the 350.

But in reality the difference is not that big compared to the friggen huge difference between Y and C.

On a 0 to 10 scale, Y is 0, F on a ME3 or SQ is a 10. All the "modern" Cs are 7.9 to 8.1

On service, they all bring me my food and drinks. Don't know what else they are supposed to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.