DL One offer

Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Wink DL One offer

Was checking in for Atl-Lhr (DL metal) I have never received an offer to upgrade to first on an international flight. Go to check my wife in who is a general member and she gets an offer. This was T-24 and I went to recheck myself in and nothing. Do the same on her reservation, offer still there. Just tried again this morning for myself and no offer. Check my wife in again, offer still available and it has switched from use money to use money or miles. What has me perplexed and a bit peeved is the fact that I was always informed that Delta would rather fly Delta one with open seats than "dilute" the experience for those that paid the fare. The part that has me a bit mad is why wasn't I offered the upgrade as a platinum medallion? If this is how it is going to be to pad the bottom line then so be it, at least give your loyal flyers the offer. Now to address any comments that it may have been the fare difference, it was not. The offer was for $799. We had paid $459 and when I inquired about upgrading with miles/money few days before the flight I was told 11k per person one way! I spoke with Delta phone agent who had no answers just a few empty apologies as to why it was only offered to my wife even though flight is showing 4 open DL one. Has anyone ever been offered to buy up to DL one on international flights, or is this the beginning of something new and not so wonderful (only if you have status)
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
Has anyone ever been offered to buy up to DL one on international flights, or is this the beginning of something new and not so wonderful (only if you have status)
There are numerous (and I do mean numerous!) existing threads on this topic.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:56 am

It seems like DL has done this for a while, offering non-elite members a buy up in hopes that they really like DL1 and are perhaps FF's with another airline.

Medallion members know the products offerings for the most part and if they're worth it.

Not saying it's right, just they way it is. (or at least seems to be)
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With four D1 seats available close to travel, DL is probably selling only C or J class fares, which would probably be around $11,000 per person RT, not $11,000 one way. It's business class, not FC. You probably misunderstood the agent when you called.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With four D1 seats available close to travel, DL is probably selling only C or J class fares, which would probably be around $11,000 per person RT, not $11,000 one way. It's business class, not FC. You probably misunderstood the agent when you called.
No, it was one way, I was flabbergasted and asked her several, several times if this was roundtrip. She clearly stated one way. I even had my hearing aid turned up ha. She then checked an earlier flight and it was 4K one way per person.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
There are numerous (and I do mean numerous!) existing threads on this topic.
So you are saying there are numerous threads on this topic? Strange response since I do not remember asking anywhere in my post if there were any threads concerning this. Stay snarky my friend.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
MODS - Please merge...

So you are saying there are numerous threads on this topic? Strange response since I do not remember asking anywhere in my post if there were any threads concerning this. Stay snarky my friend.
MODS - Can you please merge this with the numerous other (merged) threads on this topic?

TFD
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
when I inquired about upgrading with miles/money few days before the flight I was told 11k per person one way!
11k miles or 11k dollars?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:23 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The point being that you could have read those existing threads to find your answer or you could have added new info to an existing thread to keep it all in one place.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it was one way, I was flabbergasted and asked her several, several times if this was roundtrip. She clearly stated one way. I even had my hearing aid turned up ha. She then checked an earlier flight and it was 4K one way per person.
Well, then she was clearly confused as a full J fare is $8.5K one-way. $11K would likely be a roundtrip combination of C and I fares. I fares are pretty readily available for around $8K RT. There's a discount Z fare for $3.2K RT with 50 day advance purchase and Mon-Wed travel.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
11k miles or 11k dollars?
If they would have quoted me 11k miles, I would not have been writing this post. It would have been more along the lines of "Delta is the greatest airline to ever fly this planet". Even the phone agent asked if "I was sitting down" when she told me.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You asked if this happens or is new. You get a response showing that this is nothing new and reply with the snarky reply. Not going to get much love this way.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If they would have quoted me 11k miles, I would not have been writing this post. It would have been more along the lines of "Delta is the greatest airline to ever fly this planet". Even the phone agent asked if "I was sitting down" when she told me.
This is for both of you I guess. Not OW per person.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
The point being that you could have read those existing threads to find your answer or you could have added new info to an existing thread to keep it all in one place.
I am just a flying donkey. I do not know any better. Once I get to post 20 or so I will try harder.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is for both of you I guess. Not OW per person.
The point of the story was that after they quoted me this ridiculous sum of money 2 days pre flight to upgrade, they go an offer my wife an upgrade at check-in for $799. If I was going to pay 11k per person or for the two of us even, which it was not, I sure as heck would not be flying delta. I would be flying business on emirates. D1 on a 76L for anything over about $1800 r/t is just throwing money away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.