Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Never seen this: Empty Seat In First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never seen this: Empty Seat In First Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Had to take a trip to DCA this past week. On my outbound flight from MCO-CVG, FC went out with 3 empty seats and my JFK-MCO flight right now currently has 4 empty seats with boarding rapping up. I haven’t had a flight with empty FC seats in quite awhile, let alone 2 in one trip.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Saw it twice more in the last month: A mid-day SEA-YVR E75 that went out with 3-4 empty in F (and close to a completely empty C+), and an evening TLH-ATL 717 that went out with 1D empty.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
LAX-SAT went out with 2 empty in F on Wednesday. I was #2 on the upgrade list. I understand YBYL, but the door closed 6 minutes before scheduled departure. That's plenty of time for the GA to bring new BPs for the top two on the list.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
yeah i don't understand. Im sure there are reasons, but unless there are NO medallions on the flight waiting for an upgrade, regardless of status, FC should never go out empty.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:18 am

It is rare, but it seems this happens during holiday travel. I suspect it is because frequent flyers don't seem to fly as much during the holidays.

I have seen this happen twice now. First time was a couple years ago I was flying Christmas day out of my regional airport on an EM175. there were only 2 people in FC (for 12 seats!), and about 15-20 people total on the flight.

The only other time I have seen this was on an A319 about 6 months ago. I don't remember the leg, but somehow the seat next to me was empty.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
yeah i don't understand. Im sure there are reasons, but unless there are NO medallions on the flight waiting for an upgrade, regardless of status, FC should never go out empty.
Oh I didn’t clarify it in my OP above but there were no elites on the UG list for both flights.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Noticed empty seat in FC on my ATL-TRI flight last week with 30 or so on the UG list. On the return flight the next day noticed empty seats again, and the guy next to me in Y started talking to the FA about not being upgraded despite being no.1 on the list.... turns out same happened to him on my outbound flight! He was a MM and DM, and needless to say he was not a happy camper having this happen on consecutive days/flights!
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Dutch101
Noticed empty seat in FC on my ATL-TRI flight last week with 30 or so on the UG list. On the return flight the next day noticed empty seats again, and the guy next to me in Y started talking to the FA about not being upgraded despite being no.1 on the list.... turns out same happened to him on my outbound flight! He was a MM and DM, and needless to say he was not a happy camper having this happen on consecutive days/flights!
Time to bring back YBYL!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: DL
Just got off a flight from LGA-CVG. 7 of the 16 first class seats were empty and only three passengers were seated in Comfort+. Only about 30 of us on the 738, my most empty flight since I flew on Y2K Day.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:00 pm

I am of the opinion that upgrades should happen prior to boarding or not at all. People paying for F or J don’t want to see upgradees being led up from economy and placed next to them. At least let them pretend everyone is paying a similar price...
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mctaste
People paying for F or J don’t want to see upgradees being led up from economy
they can keep their eyes closed, then.
TetonSig likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
they can keep their eyes closed, then.
What would be nice is if the GA would ask the person sitting next to the empty seat whether he prefers window or aisle, then letting the last minute upgrade take the other seat. While this is less of a big deal in F, I’ve had this happen in C+, where someone was brought up to the empty aisle seat whereas I remained stuck in a middle.
mctaste likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by jj243
What would be nice is if the GA would ask the person sitting next to the empty seat whether he prefers window or aisle, then letting the last minute upgrade take the other seat. While this is less of a big deal in F, I’ve had this happen in C+, where someone was brought up to the empty aisle seat whereas I remained stuck in a middle.
that would probably work in your favor, as many people would not see moving to a middle seat as an upgrade! leaving you in an aisle or window, and nobody next to you...
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mctaste
I am of the opinion that upgrades should happen prior to boarding or not at all. People paying for F or J don’t want to see upgradees being led up from economy and placed next to them. At least let them pretend everyone is paying a similar price...
Yeah I could not care less what other people see. There are two ways to sit up front: pay for it outright (or via FCM) or fly enough so that you occasionally get upgraded to FC. Either way, you earn the right to sit there and the opinion of the other FC passengers matters as much as a hill of beans.
Zorak and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Yeah I could not care less what other people see. There are two ways to sit up front: pay for it outright (or via FCM) or fly enough so that you occasionally get upgraded to FC. Either way, you earn the right to sit there and the opinion of the other FC passengers matters as much as a hill of beans.
Or nonrev

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.