FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Never seen this: Empty Seat In First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1820371-never-seen-empty-seat-first-class.html)

Ryno1234 Feb 7, 17 4:49 pm

Never seen this: Empty Seat In First Class

I fly weekly for my job and am lucky enough to be upgraded a good portion of my trips. Today from LAX to MSP, there was an empty seat next to me in First for the entire flight. 757, flight left LAX around 1:15 PM in the afternoon.

I got upgraded at the gate around 30 min prior to boarding. I was #1 on the list of about 25.

The FA was just as surprised as i was. She said that she had seen the list too and that she also had several non revs on board. No one ever sat in the seat. It was seat 6C. Empty seats in first are kind of pointless. You can only stretch out so much! I felt bad for whoever was on the upgrade list behind me.

To the best of my recollection: I have never seen an empty seat in first class, especially on a flight of some length.

Thoughts?

KDCAflyer Feb 7, 17 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ryno1234 (Post 27879077)
I fly weekly for my job and am lucky enough to be upgraded a good portion of my trips. Today from LAX to MSP, there was an empty seat next to me in First for the entire flight. 757, flight left LAX around 1:15 PM in the afternoon.

I got upgraded at the gate around 30 min prior to boarding. I was #1 on the list of about 25.

The FA was just as surprised as i was. She said that she had seen the list too and that she also had several non revs on board. No one ever sat in the seat. It was seat 6C. Empty seats in first are kind of pointless. You can only stretch out so much! I felt bad for whoever was on the upgrade list behind me.

To the best of my recollection: I have never seen an empty seat in first class, especially on a flight of some length.

Thoughts?

Sounds like another lovely LAX GA not doing their job.

FAs should really be able to view the upgrade list on their digital manifests.

Ryno1234 Feb 7, 17 5:04 pm

I thought she could too. But she seemed as baffled as I was.

Bowgie Feb 7, 17 5:07 pm

Possible

It can happen. I'm flying MSP-LAX on Monday as a follow-on from HND. That ex-MSP flight shows 9 seats available in First, and I fully expect Delta to wait until the gate to upgrade me on the GUC.

I've seen three and four seats empty in First multiple time last year on EMB-175 aircraft flying up and down the west coast.

Oops!! I didn't read the OP''s statement that the upgrade list was 25 people long.
Bad Gate Agent!!!

WidgetKid Feb 7, 17 5:10 pm

While uncommon, it's certainly been known to happen! Granted, this seems like it shouldn't have happened, but it does happen legitimately every now and then! I flew DTW-RDU just this past Saturday that left with 2 open in F on a CR9 (totally legitimately mind you).

Jaimito Cartero Feb 7, 17 5:15 pm

Never seen it? Have you been flying long? I've been the only passenger in FC, even. Might have been a NW flight, or just after the merger. DTW-ATL, DC9, if I recall right.

KDCAflyer Feb 7, 17 5:16 pm

I've been on a few. JFK-SJU both ways, DTW-CVG, DCA-JFK.

Ryno1234 Feb 7, 17 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 27879180)
Never seen it? Have you been flying long? I've been the only passenger in FC, even. Might have been a NW flight, or just after the merger. DTW-ATL, DC9, if I recall right.

Yep million miler on delta. Maybe I've just not paid attention. Maybe I should look up every now and then.

C W Feb 7, 17 5:54 pm

I saw a number of empty seats in 1st on Christmas Day 2016, PDX-SEA 737. A senior non-rev and his family took up 5 or 6, there was me, and still a few empties. Not analogous to OP's 25 on the upgrade list of course, but it still happens legitimately.

fpmurphy Feb 7, 17 6:47 pm

Thoughts?
Rare but it happens. For example, I had an empty FC seat beside me last week MCO-DTW

NoStressHere Feb 7, 17 8:05 pm

Rare... but it happens.

If I was a FA, screw the rules.. Move somebody up.

Then again... somebody will yell that they were next on the list.

If the FA can not see the list, ask somebody with the app to help them... after the door closes.

Such a shame that the GA blew it.

FlyFromDTW Feb 7, 17 8:39 pm

Yesterday, there were 4 of 12 first class seats empty on JFK - DTW around 6pm. I was upgraded off the list. There were 5 people on UG list with 9 seats available so no GA issue there.

AANYC1981 Feb 7, 17 8:43 pm

When I see UPG lists over 20 people I don't even bother asking the GA and just board in my YC seat......maybe everyone else did it assuming the GA would UPG the 1-2 lucky souls but they too like me didn't bother thinking it would never happen?

dEagleS Feb 7, 17 8:48 pm

I had an empty FC seat next to me two week's ago on a Sunday morning AM flight - out of ATL no less! This was on a B717

Eddie98 Feb 7, 17 8:52 pm

This happened to me today. Flew from ATL to MLI and there were 2 seats in FC not filled. I did not pay attention to the list since I was upgraded at booking but I'm sure there were some on the list.
I always watch the list if I'm not upgraded