Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Never seen this: Empty Seat In First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle

I fly weekly for my job and am lucky enough to be upgraded a good portion of my trips. Today from LAX to MSP, there was an empty seat next to me in First for the entire flight. 757, flight left LAX around 1:15 PM in the afternoon.

I got upgraded at the gate around 30 min prior to boarding. I was #1 on the list of about 25.

The FA was just as surprised as i was. She said that she had seen the list too and that she also had several non revs on board. No one ever sat in the seat. It was seat 6C. Empty seats in first are kind of pointless. You can only stretch out so much! I felt bad for whoever was on the upgrade list behind me.

To the best of my recollection: I have never seen an empty seat in first class, especially on a flight of some length.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
I fly weekly for my job and am lucky enough to be upgraded a good portion of my trips. Today from LAX to MSP, there was an empty seat next to me in First for the entire flight. 757, flight left LAX around 1:15 PM in the afternoon.

I got upgraded at the gate around 30 min prior to boarding. I was #1 on the list of about 25.

The FA was just as surprised as i was. She said that she had seen the list too and that she also had several non revs on board. No one ever sat in the seat. It was seat 6C. Empty seats in first are kind of pointless. You can only stretch out so much! I felt bad for whoever was on the upgrade list behind me.

To the best of my recollection: I have never seen an empty seat in first class, especially on a flight of some length.

Thoughts?
Sounds like another lovely LAX GA not doing their job.

FAs should really be able to view the upgrade list on their digital manifests.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
I thought she could too. But she seemed as baffled as I was.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Possible

It can happen. I'm flying MSP-LAX on Monday as a follow-on from HND. That ex-MSP flight shows 9 seats available in First, and I fully expect Delta to wait until the gate to upgrade me on the GUC.

I've seen three and four seats empty in First multiple time last year on EMB-175 aircraft flying up and down the west coast.

Oops!! I didn't read the OP''s statement that the upgrade list was 25 people long.
Bad Gate Agent!!!
kthomas likes this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Feb 7, 2017 at 5:11 pm Reason: Did not read
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL, UA
While uncommon, it's certainly been known to happen! Granted, this seems like it shouldn't have happened, but it does happen legitimately every now and then! I flew DTW-RDU just this past Saturday that left with 2 open in F on a CR9 (totally legitimately mind you).
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Never seen it? Have you been flying long? I've been the only passenger in FC, even. Might have been a NW flight, or just after the merger. DTW-ATL, DC9, if I recall right.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I've been on a few. JFK-SJU both ways, DTW-CVG, DCA-JFK.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Never seen it? Have you been flying long? I've been the only passenger in FC, even. Might have been a NW flight, or just after the merger. DTW-ATL, DC9, if I recall right.
Yep million miler on delta. Maybe I've just not paid attention. Maybe I should look up every now and then.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:54 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I saw a number of empty seats in 1st on Christmas Day 2016, PDX-SEA 737. A senior non-rev and his family took up 5 or 6, there was me, and still a few empties. Not analogous to OP's 25 on the upgrade list of course, but it still happens legitimately.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:47 pm

Thoughts?
Rare but it happens. For example, I had an empty FC seat beside me last week MCO-DTW
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Rare... but it happens.

If I was a FA, screw the rules.. Move somebody up.

Then again... somebody will yell that they were next on the list.

If the FA can not see the list, ask somebody with the app to help them... after the door closes.

Such a shame that the GA blew it.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yesterday, there were 4 of 12 first class seats empty on JFK - DTW around 6pm. I was upgraded off the list. There were 5 people on UG list with 9 seats available so no GA issue there.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
When I see UPG lists over 20 people I don't even bother asking the GA and just board in my YC seat......maybe everyone else did it assuming the GA would UPG the 1-2 lucky souls but they too like me didn't bother thinking it would never happen?
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
I had an empty FC seat next to me two week's ago on a Sunday morning AM flight - out of ATL no less! This was on a B717
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
This happened to me today. Flew from ATL to MLI and there were 2 seats in FC not filled. I did not pay attention to the list since I was upgraded at booking but I'm sure there were some on the list.
I always watch the list if I'm not upgraded

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.