Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you repeatedly looked at your PNR on the DL app to see whether an "upgrade" offer will appear?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by milohoss
Okay, so I see now in another thread that at some point Delta offers you the option to switch to Main Cabin for a fee. Does this only happen at Check In? Some other time? Right now the fare difference is a mere $50 - well worth it IMHO, but I'm guessing I won't be given the chance until it's a lot more expensive than that. Anyone know when these offers typically appear?
You can switch from BE to MC anytime by calling DL and asking to upfare to a main cabin fare class. Generally in these cases they will not charge you a change fee, but you may have to HUACA a couple times if you get the wrong agent.

If your ticket was originally booked with a travel agent or 3rd party, you may be asked to pay a $50 "agency takeover" fee, which they say basically enables DL to make direct changes to the ticket w/o contacting the agent. I've never been successful getting this waived, even as a PM.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
You can switch from BE to MC anytime by calling DL and asking to upfare to a main cabin fare class. Generally in these cases they will not charge you a change fee, but you may have to HUACA a couple times if you get the wrong agent.

If your ticket was originally booked with a travel agent or 3rd party, you may be asked to pay a $50 "agency takeover" fee, which they say basically enables DL to make direct changes to the ticket w/o contacting the agent. I've never been successful getting this waived, even as a PM.
Note, this isn't actual documented policy. The "upfare" policy only applies when going between main cabin, C+, PE, and F/J. It does not apply to BE fares, which according to the policy library are supposed to be completely unchangeable (even for a fee). So any of the above actions would entirely be a favor.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html

Note the nuance in policy for long-haul international upfares -- "Collect either the fare difference or the Main Cabin fare change fee, whichever is greater"
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
VICTORY!!!

I called Delta and they were happy to let me simply pay the fare difference to switch from a BE fare to a Main Cabin fare. It was only $50. This might be because I'm still within the 24 hour booking window, but I didn't ask. This seems like a very sensible policy. After all, it wasn't my fault that this BE thing happened, and it kinda splits the difference between the bureaucracy of employer booking and doing it myself. For once I say, thank you Delta!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milohoss
VICTORY!!!

I called Delta and they were happy to let me simply pay the fare difference to switch from a BE fare to a Main Cabin fare. It was only $50. This might be because I'm still within the 24 hour booking window, but I didn't ask. This seems like a very sensible policy. After all, it wasn't my fault that this BE thing happened, and it kinda splits the difference between the bureaucracy of employer booking and doing it myself. For once I say, thank you Delta!
The Risk-Free Cancellation policy still applies to BE fares, so it wasn't really much of a favor. They could have technically required you to cancel and rebook to meet the rule requirements, so I wouldn't count on this always working.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
The Risk-Free Cancellation policy still applies to BE fares, so it wasn't really much of a favor. They could have technically required you to cancel and rebook to meet the rule requirements, so I wouldn't count on this always working.
Yeah, often they won't make changes, only cancellations, within the window. I suspect that wouldn't have really helped the OP given the corporate booking situation. Glad it worked out for him/her.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, often they won't make changes, only cancellations, within the window. I suspect that wouldn't have really helped the OP given the corporate booking situation. Glad it worked out for him/her.
<br /><br />What are you talking about? The Risk Free Cancel policy allows 1 free change or free cancellation until midnight the following day.<br /><br />They did zero favors. They milked the poster for $50 that they usually only charge to takeover the ticket from the agency, after the Risk Free Cancel period expires.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
<br /><br />What are you talking about? The Risk Free Cancel policy allows 1 free change or free cancellation until midnight the following day.<br /><br />They did zero favors.
Where does it say that?

Not here:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...cellation.html
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I saw Delta twice at JFK yesterday make exceptions to E tickets for passengers who came up to the Need Help service center (I was also there receiving assistance).

One said the TSA line was long and he missed his flight. The agent looked for E availability and said if it was available on his new flights, she would rebook him right then and there (as she said she had done for other passengers earlier in the day). It wasn't, so she sent him to the telephones.

He came back a few minutes later added to the standby list for the next flight. She printed him new standby BPs and told him he had a decent shot of clearing.

Another was two international passengers who didn't speak much English on an E fare. They had missed their flight and I didn't hear the agent say anything about fare class...different agent than the first one, but she just rebooked them on the next flight.

I was on a main cabin award ticket and was rebooked in Y class by the same group of agents for my new flights...more flexibility with E fares than I thought. Also, neither of the two anecdotes I presented above are with passengers with status (aka they had no status).
Old May 4, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Nice! Good to know. If you have status, you should top the UG list with a B fare. And, you will probably earn 150% MQMs on it (but hard to say as sometimes DL's system is good at reading the original ticket info).
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I bet you won't get the 150% MQMs for a B fare.
I just completed my trip last week and it actually looks like I got 150% MQM's. I flew Ottawa (YOW) to Maui (OGG) roundtrip, paid $185 USD return taxes included and got 14,549 MQM's for the trip. For someone who just created an account with Delta, I'm over halfway to silver status. Kinda tempting to do a mileage run or two just to reach silver, but since I'm based out of Ottawa Canada I hardly ever use Delta. Not too bad though for someone who originally book a E Fare, possibly a mistake fare roundtrip ticket to Maui lol
Old May 4, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think you're responding to the "1 free change" until midnight the following day comment?

It's a matter of semantics, but technically the policy allows a free cancellation rather than a change. However, in practice, most agents are willing to simply change the flight because changing it does not extend the risk-free cancellation period.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I think you're responding to the "1 free change" until midnight the following day comment?

It's a matter of semantics, but technically the policy allows a free cancellation rather than a change. However, in practice, most agents are willing to simply change the flight because changing it does not extend the risk-free cancellation period.
It does extend it. Changing a ticket means a new ticket. I've done this numerous times, when I kept getting job location changed each day. Longest was four days.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Oj778
I just completed my trip last week and it actually looks like I got 150% MQM's. I flew Ottawa (YOW) to Maui (OGG) roundtrip, paid $185 USD return taxes included and got 14,549 MQM's for the trip. For someone who just created an account with Delta, I'm over halfway to silver status. Kinda tempting to do a mileage run or two just to reach silver, but since I'm based out of Ottawa Canada I hardly ever use Delta. Not too bad though for someone who originally book a E Fare, possibly a mistake fare roundtrip ticket to Maui lol
Don't forget the MQD (revenue) requirement for Silver. You'd need some pretty expensive tickets, given how many MQMs you earned for such a cheap fare, or $25K spend on a DL AmEx credit card.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't forget the MQD (revenue) requirement for Silver. You'd need some pretty expensive tickets, given how many MQMs you earned for such a cheap fare, or $25K spend on a DL AmEx credit card.
non-U.S.-residents are exempt from the MQD requirement, right?
in the post you quoted ...
Originally Posted by Oj778
... I'm based out of Ottawa Canada ...
Old May 4, 2018, 6:52 pm

Yes, you're right. I missed that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.