Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global upgrade certificate fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Yet there is no evidence that DL is losing any. Again...I feel sometimes like I fly a different airline than some of you. I literally never have trouble.
Fly some more out of AMS using GUC's..issued solved
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And you would think that a perk that only goes to their highest elite level would work properly, years after they were introduced. Says a lot, doesn't it?
I chose them for the first time this year and just used the last one. All worked fine for me. The first cleared at time of application. The other three were waitlisted and cleared at the gate.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
I chose them for the first time this year and just used the last one. All worked fine for me. The first cleared at time of application. The other three were waitlisted and cleared at the gate.
Good that you have had no problems. I and others have. One thing DL has gotten better at is reinstating certs that they should not have taken, e.g. I was a waitlist, did not clear, and they closed the out GUC anyway. In previous years they made it very painful to get it back. This year (September), they took it away, and when I called they put it back in my wallet asap. Yet it still happened, and I needed to spend the time checking/monitoring to see what they did with my certs and then call them to fix it.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Tried to apply RUC today (stuck on ground @MSP)... 20 minute plus call... got to gate, not waitlisted... another 15 minute call which ended with "the waitlist is closed..."
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kthomas
Tried to apply RUC today (stuck on ground @MSP)... 20 minute plus call... got to gate, not waitlisted... another 15 minute call which ended with "the waitlist is closed..."
Did you ask for a supervisor, redcoat, or even approach the GA about the situation. Presumably the waitlist wasn't closed when you first requested that the RUC be applied, so it seems only fair that you be manually added to the closed list.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Yet there is no evidence that DL is losing any.
*raises hand*
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps this was the problem --

"Waitlist or upgrade requests should be made prior to check in and at least three hours prior to departure by contacting the Platinum or Diamond Medallion line. 24 hours prior to departure is recommended."
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Well, in better news, when I called just now I was able to confirm LAX->HNL tomorrow with a GUC, which is more than satisfactory.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:36 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Well, in better news, when I called just now I was able to confirm LAX->HNL tomorrow with a GUC, which is more than satisfactory.
If you could confirm it tomorrow with a GUC, you could have also confirmed it with a RUC, and most likely could have confirmed it with a complimentary medallion upgrade. Me thinks you probably overspent by burning a GUC on that one.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Why use a GUC? A RUC would've done the same job.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
If you could confirm it tomorrow with a GUC, you could have also confirmed it with a RUC, and most likely could have confirmed it with a complimentary medallion upgrade. Me thinks you probably overspent by burning a GUC on that one.
+1

5 hours on a domestic 753 or 739 = perfect use for an RUC. But a GUC? Only if it was otherwise about to expire unused...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Plus it's low season in the days between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays in the Islands; it doesn't get more low season than that. It's a great time to go though, as there are fewer people around.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
Smile GUC worked well for us

Wife & I took a quick trip DTW-VIE, return MUC-DTW a few weeks ago. Only routing a could get for GUC's to clear w/o waitlist (for over-the-water leg) was DTW-ATL-PAR-VIE. Waitlisted only on the DTW-ATL portion, and that cleared a few weeks ahead of flight. Everything went smoothly, and we arrived in PAR early so had no trouble making connection to the Schengen flight to VIE.

On the return, we were MUC-ATL-DTW, with an arrival into DTW that was much later than the wife would have liked. So she had me call to switch to an earlier flight. First try, was told "you can't change a GUC" itinerary in progress.

After a 2nd try, was able to confirm on MUC-AMS-DTW, getting back home 4 hours earlier than we would have if we'd stuck with the original. Took about a half-hour of reticketing, but DONE.

My experience is it's (almost) always a matter of WHO you talk with, and how nice you are.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Happened again

would you believe it!!! I had two global certificates for myself and wife (applied for a flight from Budapest to NYC, those certificates cleared months before the flight, they gave me choice to select business class seats. upon checkin at KLM at BUD, they downgraded both of us back to economy (random seats not next to each other) when I contacted delta, they told me that delta representative made a clerical mistake. they applied an expired certificate not a valid one they didn't apologize or offer anything, one supervisor offered me $100 dollars, and said that this was probably my fault anyways, she said that I probably gave them the wrong certificates (which I didnt, I didnt ask them to pick any specific certificates) !!! I would do 30- 40 return trips a year with delta not anymore!!! I am done with delta!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.