Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global upgrade certificate fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
I have been DM since inception (2010 I believe, charter member?) and I have chosen GUCs every year they have offered them.

They are wildly difficult to get waitlisted properly, and even now in 2016 I have LAX/SYD and SYD/LAX waitlisted, although unaware if done properly.

(I cannot book according to available inventory, business travel)

On my trip to SIN in October, I was waitlisted, never cleared, went to the gate, and the gate agent for the DTW-NRT leg was on the phone with the DM desk as they had coded it as a RUC for some reason. The GA said that "You need to make sure these are coded correctly!" and I said, "Ma'am, I'd love to but I have to call DL DM line and have THEM do it. If I could do it myself, I WOULD LOVE TO, then I know it would be done RIGHT."

Needless to say, whenever I get a DL survey after a flight (any flight, related to GUC usage or not) I always go on and on about how poor the implementation is of the GUC product, how it should be more transparent, and [gasp!] even clear if a SEAT is available, not some ghost fare according to Rev Management.

I realize DL is a business and their primary and only goal is to return capital to shareholders, but if you are going to offer this product, then why not stand by it, promote it, be transparent and show your competitors why DL is better by making this benefit something people LOVE. Right now, I dread trying to use one, as god only knows if it will be done properly or if a NONREV will grab my D1 benefit seat because the DM desk coded it improperly.

I have had issues with 12 out of 12 of these over the past 3 years.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by emg2919
I have been DM since inception (2010 I believe, charter member?) and I have chosen GUCs every year they have offered them.

They are wildly difficult to get waitlisted properly, and even now in 2016 I have LAX/SYD and SYD/LAX waitlisted, although unaware if done properly.

On my trip to SIN in October, I was waitlisted, never cleared, went to the gate, and the gate agent for the DTW-NRT leg was on the phone with the DM desk as they had coded it as a RUC for some reason. The GA said that "You need to make sure these are coded correctly!" and I said, "Ma'am, I'd love to but I have to call DL DM line and have THEM do it. If I could do it myself, I WOULD LOVE TO, then I know it would be done RIGHT."

Needless to say, whenever I get a DL survey after a flight (any flight, related to GUC usage or not) I always go on and on about how poor the implementation is of the GUC product, how it should be more transparent, and [gasp!] even clear if a SEAT is available, not some ghost fare according to Rev Management.

I realize DL is a business and their primary and only goal is to return capital to shareholders, but if you are going to offer this product, then why not stand by it, promote it, be transparent and show your competitors why DL is better by making this benefit something people LOVE. Right now, I dread trying to use one, as god only knows if it will be done properly or if a NONREV will grab my D1 benefit seat because the DM desk coded it improperly.

And you would think that a perk that only goes to their highest elite level would work properly, years after they were introduced. Says a lot, doesn't it?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ubw117
sorry don't understand do you mind explaining what that means?
DL AMS departures: At approximately T-24, Delta sends a copy of every flight to KLM. At that point, KLM is in control, and only KLM systems have the current seat map and seat inventory - data in DL systems related to AMS departures is "stale". After the flight departs AMS, then KLM sends Delta the results, and at that point Delta systems are current as to what happened.

After T-24 and before departure, if a Delta agent looks at their Delta system, the information they see is "stale" and does not reflect the reality actually shown in KLM systems. Same with DL.com and the DL app - their data source is Delta's systems, and information is stale - not current.

The only current source of information for flights departing AMS day of departure is KLM computer systems.

AMS has worked this way ever since NW and KLM partnered many years ago - long before the NW/DL merger.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by suvayanr
yup, the T&Cs specifically state no waitlisting out of AMS
oh those pesky little things. Who needs to read the ACTUAL rules when we can whip up pages of conspiracies on how DL 'done did 'em wrong!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can't even trust the DL app exAMS for flight status of DL departures. I almost missed a TATL flight because I was in the lounge waiting for boarding to start and the app kept saying that the flight was on time but not yet boarding.
Yes. I had the same experience this summer.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I've never had a GUC work smoothly with KLM (or even on DL metal out of AMS as KLM handles that). Best bet is to hope for advance clearing, otherwise head to the ST lounge in AMS and find a helpful agent.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grouchy
AMS = KLM, KLM = AMS. If you are AMS based and you want results aka want to be upgraded you don't waste time with anything called 'Delta' on the DoD.
Honey Badger Don't Give a ....! if you are A DM 360 MM Corporate traveler with a Delta reserve CC waitlisted for 2 months already currently in transit from PRG to AMS.
They are however very efficient upgrading anyone approaching them if they see the inventory @ Z=6 on a DL flight.
3 minutes after you appear you will have that upgrade. No need to bother with Delta, or such nonsense as waitinglists.
Yep, thats the truth! I hope delta representatives or their training managers are reading these
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:06 am
Original Poster

that really sucks, you shouldn't have to feel annoyed when using one of their "perks" it should pleasant
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
DL AMS departures: At approximately T-24, Delta sends a copy of every flight to KLM. At that point, KLM is in control, and only KLM systems have the current seat map and seat inventory - data in DL systems related to AMS departures is "stale". After the flight departs AMS, then KLM sends Delta the results, and at that point Delta systems are current as to what happened.

After T-24 and before departure, if a Delta agent looks at their Delta system, the information they see is "stale" and does not reflect the reality actually shown in KLM systems. Same with DL.com and the DL app - their data source is Delta's systems, and information is stale - not current.

The only current source of information for flights departing AMS day of departure is KLM computer systems.

AMS has worked this way ever since NW and KLM partnered many years ago - long before the NW/DL merger.
Thank you for explaining this! makes perfect sense.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
oh those pesky little things. Who needs to read the ACTUAL rules when we can whip up pages of conspiracies on how DL 'done did 'em wrong!
Thank you for replying back bubbashow but I really disagree with you here, delta's ticketing product couldn't be easier to use, you need to book a ticket in three short easy steps they get your credit card number, they make it really easy to get your money. However when it comes to use an upgrade certificate, they make it really hard, for example you can't apply it yourself through the site or the app, you have to call them, and you have no idea whether you are on the list or not, and where you are on the list, and I got extremely different answers from all delta people who didnt understand that the KLM system takes over the flight including upgrade certificates.

You can't blame the customer for a bad product!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by ubw117
[snip intro]

You can't blame the customer for a bad product!
You also can't blame the customer, when DL agents typically don't know the reality either. And that *is* something DL could and should get right, at lower operational cost than the current mess.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by jztelemark
Heck things where so messed up I wasn't even on the upgrade list for the domestic flight out of SEA. Before you ask it was a different flight number than the international flight. Delta told me it was an IT glitch.
Frustrating to have "Not Upgrade Eligible" sitting there for a final domestic leg, isn't it, as C+ inventory shrinks? We're 90 minutes out of ATL with 6 seats left ATM, waiting to see if anyone on the ground or at the gate can sort it out...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:00 am

[snip intro]

I realize DL is a business and their primary and only goal is to return capital to shareholders, but if you are going to offer this product, then why not stand by it...

Everything you have written makes me question the value of the additional spend on my part necessary to maintain Diamond. Medallion membership is in the end no different than membership at the Oxford & Cambridge, nothing is free, we pay for the benefits, and if those benefits don't deliver, its not worth it and customers will purchase fewer items.

Unless GUCs are smooth and easy-to-use, DL is failing to deliver a value that could be delivered at very low cost to DL. As a shareholder, that's a problem and a lost opportunity.

At least on today's flight I wasn't offered a ham sandwich in place of the Kosher meal they couldn't order "because IT" "sorry to disappoint." If I treated my customers with this kind of "can't do" attitude, I'd lose many of them pretty quickly.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Something sort of like this happened to me in SIN. Was sitting at #1 on wait list SIN-NRT night before flight only to find I had dropped to 4 at time of check in because they processed UG based on check-in time, not priority. Pretty crummy but at least I still cleared!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kthomas
If I treated my customers with this kind of "can't do" attitude, I'd lose many of them pretty quickly.
Yet there is no evidence that DL is losing any. Again...I feel sometimes like I fly a different airline than some of you. I literally never have trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.