FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global upgrade certificate fiasco
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:45 pm
TrojanTraveler

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by emg2919
I have been DM since inception (2010 I believe, charter member?) and I have chosen GUCs every year they have offered them.

They are wildly difficult to get waitlisted properly, and even now in 2016 I have LAX/SYD and SYD/LAX waitlisted, although unaware if done properly.

(I cannot book according to available inventory, business travel)

On my trip to SIN in October, I was waitlisted, never cleared, went to the gate, and the gate agent for the DTW-NRT leg was on the phone with the DM desk as they had coded it as a RUC for some reason. The GA said that "You need to make sure these are coded correctly!" and I said, "Ma'am, I'd love to but I have to call DL DM line and have THEM do it. If I could do it myself, I WOULD LOVE TO, then I know it would be done RIGHT."

Needless to say, whenever I get a DL survey after a flight (any flight, related to GUC usage or not) I always go on and on about how poor the implementation is of the GUC product, how it should be more transparent, and [gasp!] even clear if a SEAT is available, not some ghost fare according to Rev Management.

I realize DL is a business and their primary and only goal is to return capital to shareholders, but if you are going to offer this product, then why not stand by it, promote it, be transparent and show your competitors why DL is better by making this benefit something people LOVE. Right now, I dread trying to use one, as god only knows if it will be done properly or if a NONREV will grab my D1 benefit seat because the DM desk coded it improperly.

I have had issues with 12 out of 12 of these over the past 3 years.
And you would think that a perk that only goes to their highest elite level would work properly, years after they were introduced. Says a lot, doesn't it?