Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Upgrade Certificate Availability Confusion (KLM Operated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:40 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I searched JFK-BKK...the KL KL segments are showing available in Z...but I am wondering if I have to book it as DL (operated by KL) on both segments to apply the GUC. Is it required for them to be DL-coded? I wish there were a clear guide for us to follow.
You do have to book as DL-coded (unless you want to buy one of the most expensive coach fare buckets). That part is clearly spelled out in the T&Cs, which is the closest thing we have to a guide to follow.

I would suggest requesting your GUCs, then once they arrive, booking the coach ticket and immediately calling to request the upgrade be processed (and HUCAing if necessary). That way at least you would have the option to do a risk-free cancel on the underlying coach ticket if something doesn't go as planned.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This is so confusing...so JFK-AMS-CPT requires only one GUC, right? Does it definitely have to be booked as KL segments both ways? and Z inventory?

The last time I tried what I recommended above, agents said that Z inventory on KL is not upgradable, but we all know agents aren't that skilled with these.

I am trying to book JFK-AMS-BKK on all KL segments...hoping to use one GUC in each direction since there is Z inventory on both segments.
if the flight is a KLM coded then it must be YBM fare class. If its DL coded, KLM operated, then any fare class. Regardless Z on the KLM flight number must be available to upgrade. It also need to be Z usibg narried fliggt segments. Thus you need Z to appear on both flights when searching JFK-BKK. Just havin Z appear for JFK-AMS alone isnt eniugh.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
if the flight is a KLM coded then it must be YBM fare class. If its DL coded, KLM operated, then any fare class. Regardless Z on the KLM flight number must be available to upgrade. It also need to be Z usibg narried fliggt segments. Thus you need Z to appear on both flights when searching JFK-BKK. Just havin Z appear for JFK-AMS alone isnt eniugh.
Thanks...that's really a very helpful way of stating it. problem is, I can't get AMS-BKK to price as a DL-coded flight.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Thanks...that's really a very helpful way of stating it. problem is, I can't get AMS-BKK to price as a DL-coded flight.
I think this is going to be the routing problem. Delta doesn't like routings to SE Asia over Europe, so DL does not put their code on most of the KL and AF routes to the region.

There are a few though: it looks like DL does put its code on KL's SIN-AMS flights, which may be your best best to get to the region and then hop on a cheap coach connecting flight on another airline.

DL also puts its code on AF's CDG-BKK flight but the GUC opportunities on AF are far less comprehensive and less appealing than on KL.

Only other via-Europe option is DL code on KL SIN-KUL flight but connecting in SIN is easier than connecting in KUL.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
I think this is going to be the routing problem. Delta doesn't like routings to SE Asia over Europe, so DL does not put their code on most of the KL and AF routes to the region.

There are a few though: it looks like DL does put its code on KL's SIN-AMS flights, which may be your best best to get to the region and then hop on a cheap coach connecting flight on another airline.

DL also puts its code on AF's CDG-BKK flight but the GUC opportunities on AF are far less comprehensive and less appealing than on KL.

Only other via-Europe option is DL code on KL SIN-KUL flight but connecting in SIN is easier than connecting in KUL.
DL has a codeshare on AMS-BKK. Theyve added it in last year. However there no DL or KLM fares that seem to use it. In fact DL codeshares on most KLM flights, but theyre not always loaded into system and made available gor booking. Theres a codeshare on KL AMS-KUL, but its not loaded iinto reservations system. I know because they used it to get a GUC to apply for my YYZ-AMS-KUL flight.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Here is one story about USA to CPT using KLM from ORD onward:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ct-2017-a.html
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
I was hoping to get input from those who successfully used a GUC on KLM before I book anything or make any calls to DL. I am new to EF (just signed-up yesterday!) so I want to make sure I am good to go before booking. Planning to send my family (5 of us) from YYZ-NCE, and the best option looks like YYZ-AMS-NCE - looking at July 2018 dates for two weeks. Anyhow, on EF, I see Z inventory as 8 or 9 for each segment for the dates I like - Z if 8/9 for all 4 flights, both there and back...

I am a DM, wife is GM, kids have no status. So, I was wanting to buy 3 J's and 2 cheap Y's and use GUC's to upgrade the Y's to J. So, here are my questions...

1. Can I interpret the EF results as the GUC will clear on ticketing since Z shows 8/9?
2. A non-related KM GUC question, can I use the GC to upgrade the kids so that I can take advantage of the MQM/MQD/Miles bonus for paying for the J ticket? So, I wouldn't be the one using the GUC but we would all be on the same PNR?

Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by rileydogmi
I was hoping to get input from those who successfully used a GUC on KLM before I book anything or make any calls to DL. I am new to EF (just signed-up yesterday!) so I want to make sure I am good to go before booking. Planning to send my family (5 of us) from YYZ-NCE, and the best option looks like YYZ-AMS-NCE - looking at July 2018 dates for two weeks. Anyhow, on EF, I see Z inventory as 8 or 9 for each segment for the dates I like - Z if 8/9 for all 4 flights, both there and back...

I am a DM, wife is GM, kids have no status. So, I was wanting to buy 3 J's and 2 cheap Y's and use GUC's to upgrade the Y's to J. So, here are my questions...

1. Can I interpret the EF results as the GUC will clear on ticketing since Z shows 8/9?
2. A non-related KM GUC question, can I use the GC to upgrade the kids so that I can take advantage of the MQM/MQD/Miles bonus for paying for the J ticket? So, I wouldn't be the one using the GUC but we would all be on the same PNR?

Thanks for the input!
By the official T&Cs I think you as the DM need to be one of the people using GUCs. You might find an agent who will let you interpret the rules differently, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also make sure you are able to book the flights you want on DL flight numbers. If you can only book them on KL flight numbers, you would have to book in an expensive coach fare class to be able to use the upgrades. But if you can book DL flight numbers you should be okay to get the upgrades cleared. (Also make sure you are searching YYZ-NCE in ExpertFlyer, not YYZ-AMS and AMS-NCE separately, since what shows up for YYZ-NCE is the important part for being able to use GUCs.)

That said, in the past people have earned 150% MQMs for upgraded KLM flights since they rebook into Z, which is also a regular business class fare class. But there was a report in another thread that someone recently lost the extra 50% bonus MQMs, so it's not clear if Delta has closed that loophole or not.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
So, I was wanting to buy 3 J's and 2 cheap Y's and use GUC's to upgrade the Y's to J.
Originally Posted by bgriff
By the official T&Cs I think you as the DM need to be one of the people using GUCs. You might find an agent who will let you interpret the rules differently, but I wouldn't count on it.
My recollection is similar, that people have reported success when buying a ticket and using a GUC to upgrade a Y companion. I don't have a sense for how "automatic" this is (as compared to, say, the unpublished co-terminal SDC benefit which is basically a gimme).

But the other issue you're likely to run into is "Only one companion per Medallion Member may be upgraded on each flight segment."

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
Thanks for all the help - I gave up and used them on a DL metal flight without issue but I do appreciate the input!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Angry WOW...Using GUC on KLM-operated flight

This is more of a rant (with a happy ending) than anything else: I recently applied a GUC for my trip to Europe, and the transatlantic portion (operated by DL) cleared. For the past several months, I have been calling to see if I could clear the intra-European segment operated by KL. I've followed the terms and conditions of the GUC: the KL-operated segment is DL-marketed and issued on DL ticket stock. Each time that I've called, Z space is open. Per terms and conditions on the DL website, "For travel on KLM-operated, Delta-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class. For travel on KLM-operated, KLM-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, or M class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class." I should've been able to clear, and each time, the DM agent said that Z was available but KLM kept rejecting the request to book me into Z class.

I called today and was again transferred to International Reissue/Ticketing. Agent called Global Ticketing Support (GTS), and then returned after a lengthy wait and insisted that this segment first needed to be converted over to a KLM flight and that I also needed to have a Y, B, or M fare.

I gently asked her to go to the T&C on the GUC page, and I pointed to section that I quoted above. If Z is available, then I should be able to clear, right? She agreed, re-contacted GTS, went to bat for me, and then was able to get this segment. When I asked what I should do in the future when something like this arises? She said that I should just point the agent to the T&C and that's all I can do. She admitted that some GTS agents (or agents in general) are willing to go the extra mile. Most, however, are not. She also said that some KLM agents at the desk aren't willing to help. I just sighed. No one should have to spend this much time jumping through hoops for a benefit that one has earned. Aside from the time spent calling the DM desk before this conversation, I spent over an hour today on the phone with this agent.

So, here's my take away: You have to be persistent when trying to use GUCs on KL-operated flights. I also gave a JWD certificate to the agent, and she was incredibly happy.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 16, 2017 at 4:27 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Yep. I had the same experience: At first the agent claimed there was no inventory, but I pointed out the Z availability. She was then able to apply the GUC by reissuing on KL stock. Fortunately, she knew that I didn't need YBM class.

Happy ending: Just got back from my upgraded flight last weekend.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Your experience pretty much mirrors that of many who have tried.

Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:45 am

I've experienced numerous agents on the DM line who are unaware that Z rather than OP inventory is required to confirm upgrades on KL-operated flights. But by knowing and being able to explain the rules, I usually get the correct result.

Differences in product aside, I still much prefer the upgrade process for KL flights to DL flights. At least I can search for and KNOW if there is Z inventory easily before booking or while waitlisted.

One final piece of advice: the twitter team seems to be very good with GUCs.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Typically in the past the twitter team has been great, though recently they have returned no availability even with Z open. I am attributing this to the recent IT enhancement which in sure only made things easier to say no to upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.