Wiki Posts
Search

GUC to JNB and/or CPT Oct 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
GUC to JNB and/or CPT Oct 2017

I was just able to confirm a conference in CPT for October 11-13, 2017. I thought this might be early enough to get OP for the ATL-JNB-ATL flights but no joy regardless of looking 5 days either way for outbound and return.

It looks like DL will route me through AMS both ways and go with JNB rather than CPT. Apparently AF does CPT and the GUC only puts one in premium economy rather than business class.

Am I missing something there? Preferred dates (start and end in OKC) are October 8-17 or 9-18.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
All of my GUCs cleared for the flights I applied them to between ATL and JNB this year, but none cleared ahead of time. You'll probably have to wait until the gate unfortunately.

I always fly to JNB and then take a domestic carrier to CPT. It's usually pretty cheap, and not too much hassle, and then I'm sure that I get that direct flight from ATL to JNB.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

How far in advance did you purchase your tickets and apply the GUCs?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM
If you have expert flyer, you can search for KLM upgrade space, which if available, a GUC can be used on any fare class on KLM.

So...a super quick search of availability...
Outbound:
10/7 JFK-AMS-CPT
10/8 IAH-AMS-CPT
10/9 JFK-AMS-CPT

Return:
10/16 JFK
10/17 CPT-AMS-SLC/IAH/IAD/JFK
10/18 IAD/JFK
10/19 CPT-AMS-LAX available

Either need to reposition and fly from those cities (JFK and IAD are usually cheap to get to SA) or else make sure you follow those connections.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
KLM operated flights need Z not OP space. Even if it has the DL codeshare number it needs Z. However it a lot of times searches for OP when looking at KLM flights. Point it out to agent.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thepaul500
If you have expert flyer, you can search for KLM upgrade space, which if available, a GUC can be used on any fare class on KLM.

Outbound:
10/7 JFK-AMS-CPT
10/8 IAH-AMS-CPT
10/9 JFK-AMS-CPT

Return:
10/16 JFK
10/18 IAD/JFK

Either need to reposition and fly from those cities (JFK and IAD are usually cheap to get to SA) or else make sure you follow those connections.
Thank you. I do have EF, but am still shocked that 10 months in advance there is no OP for the direct flights to JNB.

The agent claimed she looked at AMS-CPT both ways and came up empty on several dates around my first choices. So it looks like I need to do the spade work since I am based in OKC and do not want a fare higher than the $2.5K that was quoted already.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
KLM operated flights need Z not OP space. Even if it has the DL codeshare number it needs Z. However it a lot of times searches for OP when looking at KLM flights. Point it out to agent.
You are right, of course, and I should have this clear in my memory once I start the EF chases.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Outbound:
10/7 JFK-AMS-CPT
10/8 IAH-AMS-CPT
10/9 JFK-AMS-CPT

Return:
10/16 JFK
10/18 IAD/JFK

I asked the agent about other hubs including JFK and emphasized DTW and EF reveals that DTW will work very well for me if I can get the fare to work.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Xeno
How far in advance did you purchase your tickets and apply the GUCs?
One ticket was maybe 2 months out, and another was a week in advance.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

I am on the phone now with a DL DM agent who is new. She called someone at KLM who insisted I could not take a codeshare out of DTW and they are wanting to route me through Chicago to do a RT to CPT (rather than JNB).

My head is spinning because I thought the JNB ticket I was holding in fact did just KLM codeshare ATL-AMS-ATL even going with DL # for ATL-AMS.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks

Outbound:
10/7 JFK-AMS-CPT
10/8 IAH-AMS-CPT
10/9 JFK-AMS-CPT

Return:
10/16 JFK
10/18 IAD/JFK

This is incorrect. I saw one seat listed a Z for JFK-CPT-AMS. When searching for CPT-AMS on 10/8, there is zero available in Z.

The OP needs to read this thread:

Delta Upgrade Certificate Availability Confusion (KLM Operated)

I had similar problems where I believe there should be some way to upgrade all segments in an itinerary when Z is available via married segments and OP is available on DL operated flights. However, hours on the phone with DL and asking FT did not get me anywhere.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
I've made 4 round trips on DL200/201 in the last year. All the GUCs cleared at the gate and not a minute sooner. One flight, ATL-JNB was booked last-minute business, but all the others were booked within two weeks of travel and GUCs cleared at the gate...including two trips in October.
If I were a betting man, I'd book 200/201 and pack a neck pillow and ambien in my carry-on just in case.

Doesn't Virgin have seasonal LHR-CPT flights?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Due to the last DL DM agent's interpretation - aided by a KL agent - of the language below* about using GUC on KL equipment, I now am holding two tickets to go OKC to CPT and back.

First I have a DL domestic ticket to ORD outbound via MSP and return via DTW. Then I switch to KL flights to CPT via AMS. That puts me on a 747 to AMS and 777 to CPT. All my seats have direct aisle access.

Not sure what kind of lounge I will get at ORD as I am stuck there 4 hours on the outbound. I saw Z inventory on EF going through DTW but this last DM agent said KL would not approve a codeshare.

My first ticket today (to JNB) did have codeshare flights but we did not apply the GUCs so not sure the upgrades would have worked.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html

*REDEMPTIONS ON KLM – ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES
Valid on Delta-marketed, KLM-operated flights for use globally on published Main Cabin fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Business Class.
Valid on all KLM-marketed, KLM-operated flights from published Main Cabin fares in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, or V class to Business Class.
Global Upgrades on KLM flights must be confirmed 24 hours prior to departure.
For flights departing Amsterdam, Global Upgrade Certificates may be applied prior to check-in either with a KLM ticketing agent or at a KLM Crown Lounge.
Global Upgrade Certificates may not be used to waitlist for a KLM-operated flight.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
Not sure what kind of lounge I will get at ORD as I am stuck there 4 hours on the outbound. I saw Z inventory on EF going through DTW but this last DM agent said KL would not approve a codeshare.
https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre..._locations.htm

Destination
Chicago

Lounge owner or operator
Air France-KLM Lounge

Terminal 5 (international flights), between gate M8 and M7
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by airmotive
I've made 4 round trips on DL200/201 in the last year. All the GUCs cleared at the gate and not a minute sooner. One flight, ATL-JNB was booked last-minute business, but all the others were booked within two weeks of travel and GUCs cleared at the gate...including two trips in October.
If I were a betting man, I'd book 200/201 and pack a neck pillow and ambien in my carry-on just in case.

Doesn't Virgin have seasonal LHR-CPT flights?
Around Feb VS stopped flying to CPT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.