Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Prologue

In an effort to keep fellow Flyertalker's updated through the ongoing hurricane, this wiki has been formed to keep track of new developments and continuing delays and cancellations.

Feel free to post further information as well as we go.

If you are in an effected county, please evacuate immediately or find a shelter bringing along 3 days worth of food, water as well as a pillow and blanket for each person.

If you intend to stay put, please note power outages will occur and may last for extended amounts of time. Utilities may also periodically cut out as well. EMS also will not be able to save you as well, and severe damage is to be expected. Again, three days worth of resources is reccomended, and having a generator helps as well.
__________________________________________________ ____________

October 6th, 2016 | Thursday

6:00PM EST // Delta plans to restart operations from MIA and FLL tomorrow as scheduled, however flights have been scaled back statewide in FL, with all flights after 5:30PM today being cancelled from MCO. Over 240 flights on both mainline and regional carriers have been canceled, of which 45 are from affected areas in GA, most notably Savannah on Saturday as the category 4 hurricane heads northbound.

2:14PM EST // Gov. Rick Scott: "We cant save you"
Residents of affected counties are urged to leave now and not wait to leave after a power outage
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Matthew Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I'm not sure you know PBI or how these storms work very well.

1. PBI closes at 40 MPH.

2. They are predicting 60-70 MPH winds in the PBI area for most of the day Thursday and into Friday AM. The storm is so large and so strong, it doesn't have to be that close for the impact to affect air travel.
I know everything about everything bro.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by fastflyer
How far in advance will AA cancel its affected flights? I am ticketed on 2322 on Thursday October 6 (DFW-PBI) at 8pm. No way is that flight going to operate. I doubt they'll operate the October 5 either, as the plane overnights at PBI.

I won't be returning to Palm Beach again 'til the following weekend and I already have that ticket, so I'd prefer a refund in order to ticket and fly elsewhere. But AA requires a cancellation for a refund.
I expect they will wait for further confirmation on track (it can change) before canceling.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEUS777
What, was that from 3 days ago? Troll on sir.

Here's a current one:

Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Hurricane Matthew Waivers in VA

I'm presently set to fly PHF-ATL-SEA on Monday (10/10); however, with a hurricane in the region it's looking quite likely that waivers will be creeping into VA tomorrow for the weekend (they've been creeping up the Eastern Seaboard over the last 24 hours...FL went in first, followed by GA/SC/NC late yesterday), possibly spilling into Monday. If waivers go out and cover Monday, what is going to be involved into switching to a Friday flight? I can't really push this trip back (I'm only in Seattle for about 22 hours at present before boarding a train to Sacramento and then Denver for a conference, so a pushback becomes a pain) but moving the flight forward is actually a desirable option [1]. I'm mostly worried about "indirect interference" (e.g. the storm frakking DL's equipment positioning so that my 0545 flight out of PHF suddenly does not have a plane).

So...let's presume I do this. It's close to a last-minute switch (hurricanes are not in the habit of giving advance notice) and I'm getting worried the fare on the relevant flights is going to spike: It's presently only about $50 more than it was when I booked, which I won't have a cow over, but there are only 10 F seats left on the ATL-SEA leg and I'm worried that this could cause a shoe to drop in terms of price...and $50 might not be an issue but $500 would be, and the other two flight options I'm inclined to look at out of PHF are simply obscene ($2400 vs $750). So...will the original fare likely be honored on such a switch? For the record, I'm dealing with DL2039 for my T-Con leg.

Also...were ORF a co-terminal there's a (somewhat more expensive) JFK routing I'm not opposed to (PHF doesn't fly to JFK direct while ORF-JFK flights often don't have F...which is an annoyance in terms of status-chasing), but relative cost is an issue there as well if I have to pay the "new" fare.

[1] After sitting through a near-two-week power outage after Isabel in 2003, I started making a habit of going to FL when a hurricane bears down on VA. Aside from being a bit of a running joke for obvious reasons, it generally saves me the hassle of dealing with the power being out.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
1)Already a thread about Matthew and DL waivers

2)A waiver won't happen till theres a nearly guaranteed likelihood of it hitting/impacting the area. Generally 24-72 hrs out.

3)No changes to origin/destination allowed. Date changes within what is given without chg fee and fare difference. Outside the dates given for reschedule, chg fee waived, but fare difference applies.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm presently set to fly PHF-ATL-SEA on Monday (10/10); however, with a hurricane in the region it's looking quite likely that waivers will be creeping into VA tomorrow for the weekend (they've been creeping up the Eastern Seaboard over the last 24 hours...FL went in first, followed by GA/SC/NC late yesterday), possibly spilling into Monday. If waivers go out and cover Monday, what is going to be involved into switching to a Friday flight? I can't really push this trip back (I'm only in Seattle for about 22 hours at present before boarding a train to Sacramento and then Denver for a conference, so a pushback becomes a pain) but moving the flight forward is actually a desirable option [1]. I'm mostly worried about "indirect interference" (e.g. the storm frakking DL's equipment positioning so that my 0545 flight out of PHF suddenly does not have a plane).
Are you new to this?

If you need to be in Seattle, go early. Without a waiver in place you will pay fare difference and change fee, if any.

If your priority isn't to get to Seattle but instead to avoid travel hassles you have three primary mechanisms to avoid financial loss:

1. Wait for a waiver.

2. Look for a delay of 90 minutes or more and demand a refund according to contract of carriage for any unflown segments.

3. Look for a delay arriving into SEA and ask for courtesy in declaring trip in vain if you would miss the primary purpose for travel.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: dl plat
Is this wx waiver particularly restrictive?

If I remember correctly, weather waivers often allow for full refund. With this (significant) storm that is not happening.

One can cancel and have future change fees waived (with $ staying as Delta Dollars), but not simply cancel and refund to credit card.

I have a meeting that can now not happen, that the client paid for by check ahead of time. I now need to refund client, but now have no need to go visit them. It was a high fare so I am annoyed I now have to pay for it, waiting to use the value on future trips(s) to recover my expense.

Is this a more restrictive waiver than usual for this type of wx event?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by SEUS777
There is almost zero chance that PBI will be closed on Thur or Friday. And that goes for ALL Florida airports. Every single model/ensemble has the storm off shore. And the Florida peninsula will be on the "good" side of the storm...the west side. Windy (30 - 40 mph) and some rain? Sure, but nothing to close an airport.
The airports might not be closed, but Delta has almost no flights going in or out of PBI tomorrow.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
FLL is closing at 10:30 am tomorrow
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Are you new to this?

If you need to be in Seattle, go early. Without a waiver in place you will pay fare difference and change fee, if any.

If your priority isn't to get to Seattle but instead to avoid travel hassles you have three primary mechanisms to avoid financial loss:

1. Wait for a waiver.

2. Look for a delay of 90 minutes or more and demand a refund according to contract of carriage for any unflown segments.

3. Look for a delay arriving into SEA and ask for courtesy in declaring trip in vain if you would miss the primary purpose for travel.
Effectively new. This was (prior to the storm taking a U-turn) my first probable advance-notice trip interruption, and almost all previous travel has been on VX in paid F with their CC, which basically meant that I never had to worry about change fees to begin with.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NYC123
If I remember correctly, weather waivers often allow for full refund. With this (significant) storm that is not happening.

One can cancel and have future change fees waived (with $ staying as Delta Dollars), but not simply cancel and refund to credit card.

I have a meeting that can now not happen, that the client paid for by check ahead of time. I now need to refund client, but now have no need to go visit them. It was a high fare so I am annoyed I now have to pay for it, waiting to use the value on future trips(s) to recover my expense.

Is this a more restrictive waiver than usual for this type of wx event?
Nope. They only allow the refund if your flight gets cancelled or delayed over 90 minutes. Otherwise it's a credit if you don't rebook at the time. Does the customer agreement require a refund, or can you simply leave it as a credit for future flight to see customer?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:03 am

I have an ATL - MCO flight tonight at 10. I am 90% Sure it won't go..... I can't go earlier today due to work and "dog sitter" issues. I just wish Delta would cancel the thing so I could get my refund.

If they do cancel do I have to call for the refund/credit? I don't mind having the credit, but since the flight was only about $100 I don't want it to disappear into the "change fee abyss"
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I have an ATL - MCO flight tonight at 10. I am 90% Sure it won't go..... I can't go earlier today due to work and "dog sitter" issues. I just wish Delta would cancel the thing so I could get my refund.
Orlando International Airport to shut down at 8 p.m. Thursday

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weath...006-story.html

(DL has not canceled your flight yet, but appears they will have to cancel)
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by ty97

All MCO flights from ATL arriving after around 7PM have been cancelled since they do not want them to sit on the ground and not return to ATL. The 10:20 PM flight I assume you are on now shows as cancelled.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by ty97

Originally Posted by kss5555
All MCO flights from ATL arriving after around 7PM have been cancelled since they do not want them to sit on the ground and not return to ATL. The 10:20 PM flight I assume you are on now shows as cancelled.

Yes just got the notice. Now to deal with Delta.

(I actually have another flight booked for tomorrow night that I think has a good possibility of actually flying. When I booked these I wasn't sure what my plans were and it was during some incredibly cheap sale so I booked a throw away ticket! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.