Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Prologue

In an effort to keep fellow Flyertalker's updated through the ongoing hurricane, this wiki has been formed to keep track of new developments and continuing delays and cancellations.

Feel free to post further information as well as we go.

If you are in an effected county, please evacuate immediately or find a shelter bringing along 3 days worth of food, water as well as a pillow and blanket for each person.

If you intend to stay put, please note power outages will occur and may last for extended amounts of time. Utilities may also periodically cut out as well. EMS also will not be able to save you as well, and severe damage is to be expected. Again, three days worth of resources is reccomended, and having a generator helps as well.
__________________________________________________ ____________

October 6th, 2016 | Thursday

6:00PM EST // Delta plans to restart operations from MIA and FLL tomorrow as scheduled, however flights have been scaled back statewide in FL, with all flights after 5:30PM today being cancelled from MCO. Over 240 flights on both mainline and regional carriers have been canceled, of which 45 are from affected areas in GA, most notably Savannah on Saturday as the category 4 hurricane heads northbound.

2:14PM EST // Gov. Rick Scott: "We cant save you"
Residents of affected counties are urged to leave now and not wait to leave after a power outage
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Matthew Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Hurricane Matthew Master Thread

How long before Delta posts a bulletin on South Florida for Matthew? I am flying into PBI on Thursday and it almost certainly looks like flights will be affected for all of South Florida on Thursday.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 5, 2016 at 5:58 am Reason: Made into a master thread on the hurricane
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:35 am

The National Hurricane Center puts out advisories at every 3 hours, with the next one due at 5am. The models have been moving the storm closer to the Florida coast. If that holds, South Florida (including PBI) will likely be placed under a Hurricane Watch. At that point, Delta will probably issue a bulletin.

If it doesn't happen at 5am, check back at 8am Eastern time.

For hurricane information (without the hyperbole of local TV), visit the NOAA/National Hurricane Center website: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Edit: The 5am update did not include Hurricane Watches for South Florida. Check again after 8am for the next advisory.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Oct 4, 2016 at 3:07 am Reason: Added information.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's is one that has been posted. It doesn't include FL, only Caribbean islands.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Hopefully by the 11 AM advisory the NHC would have posted something for south Florida, and definitely by 2 PM because of the "required" notice for Hurricane Watches/Warnings
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I live in Jensen Beach (on the coast 40 miles north of PBI) and am monitoring this closely.
Currently out of town and not due back until 10/11 but monitoring closely.

No watches or warnings are issued yet but are expected later today (my guess is the 11am update). It's not supposed to effect the area until Thursday evening and into Friday.

My amateur guess is once a watch and/or warning is issued a waiver will be put out for MIA, FLL and PBI. One was not issued at the 8am update.

Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Also waiting for the travel waiver for PBI... can't believe they have to wait for the hurricane watch. It's so obvious that PBI will not be open Thursday or Friday...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Also waiting for the travel waiver for PBI... can't believe they have to wait for the hurricane watch. It's so obvious that PBI will not be open Thursday or Friday...
With all due respect I really don't think you have the necessary degrees to make this call. If the storm veers to the far East track of its path I doubt it will be so "obvious". But again, I dont have the necessary certifications to make that call
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by DLATL777
With all due respect I really don't think you have the necessary degrees to make this call. If the storm veers to the far East track of its path I doubt it will be so "obvious". But again, I dont have the necessary certifications to make that call
There are literally ZERO models showing the storm turning east... plus, with a storm of this size and intensity, it only has to be within 100 miles of the east coast of Florida of all the airports to be closed due to wind.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:31 am

There is almost zero chance that PBI will be closed on Thur or Friday. And that goes for ALL Florida airports. Every single model/ensemble has the storm off shore. And the Florida peninsula will be on the "good" side of the storm...the west side. Windy (30 - 40 mph) and some rain? Sure, but nothing to close an airport.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Wasn't Hurricane Matthews a moderately successful welterweight back in the day?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Airlines
Matthew

I've called Delta Diamond Medallion desk and they say if there is not an official warning, Delta will have to charge a fee for changing flights ($150) and another fee on top of the first one for the price difference on the tickets.

I think it is outrageous! Delta knows that South Florida will be impacted and they will have to reschedule flights. I am only trying to avoid trying to get a hold of an agent later on today to change the departure time on my ticket.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ximenilla
I've called Delta Diamond Medallion desk and they say if there is not an official warning, Delta will have to charge a fee for changing flights ($150) and another fee on top of the first one for the price difference on the tickets.

I think it is outrageous! Delta knows that South Florida will be impacted and they will have to reschedule flights. I am only trying to avoid trying to get a hold of an agent later on today to change the departure time on my ticket.
I've tried to do the same previously. DL will only waive the fee if there is an advisory in place. For all they know, the hurricane could veer back out into the Atlantic and miss FL completely. Your best bet is to call the instant the advisory posts.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Nothing is certain yet, which is why they haven't issued a waiver yet.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
There are literally ZERO models showing the storm turning east... plus, with a storm of this size and intensity, it only has to be within 100 miles of the east coast of Florida of all the airports to be closed due to wind.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

They know nothing at this point for sure about FL. When it comes to tropical storms, anything over 48-72 hours is just pure speculation.

Why should DL waive fees/fare differences until they know that it's really going to effect their operations? I'm not Bubba, but even as a non-stock holder I'd have to say it'd be bad business to do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.