Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL fully moving to T3 at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
What about that snazzy upper level check-in area for flights on VS metal when traveling in Upper Class. Am I correct in assuming that DL metal flights have a separate check-in area, even if in Delta One/Biz?

The T4 check-in area for DL was abysmal, so I can't imagine this could possibly be worse.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by atl runner
What about that snazzy upper level check-in area for flights on VS metal when traveling in Upper Class. Am I correct in assuming that DL metal flights have a separate check-in area, even if in Delta One/Biz?

The T4 check-in area for DL was abysmal, so I can't imagine this could possibly be worse.
IIRC the VS and DL check-in areas are together, and VS staff handle DL check-in.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:05 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

If departing T3 in VS or DL business class and arriving by car you are entitled to use the Upper Class Wing check-in, which is mostly style over substance but can still be a nice little touch. It is especially nice if traveling with checked bags, as the bags are taken out of your car by a porter and brought to the check-in desk hotel-style and you never have to handle them at the airport at all.

If arriving by public transit or not caring to bother, and for elite members, there is a priority check-in line on the ground floor. VS has a dedicated area that is shared by DL that is relatively nice by LHR standards, but not really anything to write home about. Business class passengers and PMs/DMs are still able to use the private security channel, which is the nicest part of the Upper Class Wing experience. (Despite what Virgin's marketing heavily implies, the Upper Class Wing and private security channel do not connect directly into the Clubhouse.)

If I was traveling on a business trip without checked bags, even if arriving by car I wouldn't bother to use the Upper Class Wing, but it is fun to experience once.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by bgriff
If departing T3 in VS or DL business class and arriving by car you are entitled to use the Upper Class Wing check-in, which is mostly style over substance but can still be a nice little touch. It is especially nice if traveling with checked bags, as the bags are taken out of your car by a porter and brought to the check-in desk hotel-style and you never have to handle them at the airport at all.

If arriving by public transit or not caring to bother, and for elite members, there is a priority check-in line on the ground floor. VS has a dedicated area that is shared by DL that is relatively nice by LHR standards, but not really anything to write home about. Business class passengers and PMs/DMs are still able to use the private security channel, which is the nicest part of the Upper Class Wing experience. (Despite what Virgin's marketing heavily implies, the Upper Class Wing and private security channel do not connect directly into the Clubhouse.)

If I was traveling on a business trip without checked bags, even if arriving by car I wouldn't bother to use the Upper Class Wing, but it is fun to experience once.
We've used it and loved it, and will use it again in the future.^ We have a totally great driver we have used for years to get us to/from LHR.

The porter was great, the check-in and security calm and quick. From our perspective, it was a total winner. Compared to the T4 DL check-in we did this year, the same difference as any of us running 200 meters against Usain Bolt.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Checking in yesterday at T3 there were 3 sets of counters, Economy, Sky Priority and Upper Class. The latter two had no line so I went to the Sky Priority section -- not sure if as a DM I could use Upper Class but it didn't matter this time.

I had a non-status friend with me (we had just done a bicycle tour together) and he was on the non-stop LAX VS flight (with a DL ticket) and I was on DL metal thru JFK. They had no problem with him using the Upper Class security line with me, but when we got to the Clubhouse they wouldn't let me guest him in -- said my guest had to be on the same flight. He is a very good friend -- but not that good -- I went in and left him to the joys of the concourse.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:54 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Apparently more of an acquaintance
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

said my guest had to be on the same flight. He is a very good friend -- but not that good -- I went in and left him to the joys of the concourse.
Yes that's been the VS rule for a while now.

Guest has to be on the same flight as the host whereas it used to be as long as the guest was flying VS that day.

Probably done to reduce some of the numbers in the CH and stop some of the shenenigans re guesting that have occured in the past (if not with VS then certainly with other airlines)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by bgriff
I think it was a matter of the VS arrivals lounge getting overcrowded, and presumably there wasn't really any way to make it bigger, so DL just added its own to create more capacity for the partnership.

Though I think the DL arrivals lounge is quite a bit smaller than the VS one, so the additional DL flights in T3 may raise concerns about the capacity of the DL arrivals lounge. Presumably, since moving the other DL flights to T3 has been the end plan for quite a while now, the DL arrivals lounge was built with the full schedule in mind, but who knows. Perhaps if the DL lounge does get overcrowded they can set up an arrangement to send individual overflow passengers back up to the VS lounge as needed and when the VS lounge has capacity. (The VS arrivals lounge managed to handle reasonably well when it was doing VS + some DL before the DL arrivals lounge opened, so presumably now that it is doing VS only, it has at least a bit of excess capacity.)
It's been a few years (2? 3?), but my recollection of the VS arrivals lounge is that it was not larger than the DL arrivals lounge, and maybe even smaller. At the time I used it, there were only a couple of other pax there.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:14 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
It's been a few years (2? 3?), but my recollection of the VS arrivals lounge is that it was not larger than the DL arrivals lounge, and maybe even smaller. At the time I used it, there were only a couple of other pax there.
Well the important part of an arrivals lounge's capacity is the number of shower rooms, since most people don't stay long otherwise so the seating area isn't usually a constraint (the only time I've seen seating full at the VS revivals lounge was when people were waiting for showers).

DL has 11 showers: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ls-lounge.html

I am not sure but I'm pretty sure I've had shower room number 17 or 18 in the VS revivals lounge, which was down near the end, so I would guess there are a total of 18-20ish showers in the VS lounge.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
DL is apparently closing its LHR Arrivals Lounge on Sep 20 and will send arriving passengers to the VS Revivals Lounge instead. While the VS Revivals Lounge is very nice, it is too small to accommodate arriving DL passengers in addition to the arriving VS passengers. (The overcrowding issue was the very reason that DL opened its own Arrivals Lounge next door.)

Closing the DL Arrivals Lounge feels like a mistake on the part of DL management -- they spent a small fortune developing the Arrivals Lounge, and now that there will be more DL passengers arriving at T3 than ever before, they decide to close it! I hope there is more to the story, like an imminent expansion of the VS Revivals Lounge, but somehow I doubt it.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah I don't understand this move at all. DL consolidates all arrivals into T3, but closes their arrival lounge at the same time? Seriously DL this is a big boner move.

Sounds like they don't want to bother with the expense at all, so by making the VS lounge way overcrowded they'll have less pax able to utilize it and so less entrance fees charged to DL from VS.

Way to have a 'premium' D1 experience into LHR.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Maybe they're just going to knock through and merge the two lounges?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
They will expand the VS revivals lounge, I'm sure!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:36 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Maybe they're just going to knock through and merge the two lounges?
I was thinking that as well, the VS revivals lounge is directly above the DL arrivals lounge, so it might be possible to build a staircase to connect the two. Hopefully that's the plan, or else revivals will be very overcrowded at peak times.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718
DL is apparently closing its LHR Arrivals Lounge on Sep 20 and will send arriving passengers to the VS Revivals Lounge instead. While the VS Revivals Lounge is very nice, it is too small to accommodate arriving DL passengers in addition to the arriving VS passengers. (The overcrowding issue was the very reason that DL opened its own Arrivals Lounge next door.)

Closing the DL Arrivals Lounge feels like a mistake on the part of DL management -- they spent a small fortune developing the Arrivals Lounge, and now that there will be more DL passengers arriving at T3 than ever before, they decide to close it! I hope there is more to the story, like an imminent expansion of the VS Revivals Lounge, but somehow I doubt it.
Where did you hear this from? It would seem nuts to close it just after having opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.