Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Regulation (EC) 261/2004 Delayed flight - Delta Air Lines Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regulation (EC) 261/2004 Delayed flight - Delta Air Lines Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by exwannabe
My understanding is that a WX inbound is not IN ITSELF sufficient to deny compensation. The basis for that rulling was that often an airline could reasonably have ability to handle it by swapping equipment.. An obvious example would be at a major hub.

I assume in this case DL would have had a single flight in/out. So could not reasonably be expected to have a backup. And thus no soup for OP :-)

[Sorry OP, but you you might as well submit and see if it works. Likely to get some happy miles even if they deny it]
EC261 to my knowledge does not differentiate with regards to having a backup plane. They could have rebooked the passenger on another airline at no charge.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
EC261 to my knowledge does not differentiate with regards to having a backup plane. They could have rebooked the passenger on another airline at no charge.
Wholly incorrect. There is no such requirement to rebook. A simple search will show what the above poster you quote is correct.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Wholly incorrect. There is no such requirement to rebook. A simple search will show what the above poster you quote is correct.
I was under the impression that the Montreal Convention would force the airline to rebook you on another airline at no charge or at least have to pay for a rebooking due to Article 19.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I was under the impression that the Montreal Convention would force the airline to rebook you on another airline at no charge or at least have to pay for a rebooking due to Article 19.
Article 19 imposes no such duty. In fact the airline only must show it took reasonable steps to avoid a delay. No court has ruled this means booking on OAL.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:58 pm

Article 19 imposes no such duty. In fact the airline only must show it took reasonable steps to avoid a delay. No court has ruled this means booking on OAL.
True, but Quebec Courts have ruled in favour of passengers based on Article 19 of the Montreal Convention. "The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay.." Rebooking on another airline has been ruled in Quebec as a 'damage' or an 'expense' that the airline had to pay back. Of course, this is after going through Small Claims Court.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

True, but Quebec Courts have ruled in favour of passengers based on Article 19 of the Montreal Convention. "The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay.." Rebooking on another airline has been ruled in Quebec as a 'damage' or an 'expense' that the airline had to pay back. Of course, this is after going through Small Claims Court.
Small claims court rulings generally don't establish precedent. Also a lot of times it's cheaper to just pay a small claims case then it is to fight it, even if case was clearly ruled wrong under binding precedent. In some case not even replying and jist paying a default award is the cheapest route as long as it doesn't establish precedent.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:20 am

Small claims court rulings generally don't establish precedent. Also a lot of times it's cheaper to just pay a small claims case then it is to fight it, even if case was clearly ruled wrong under binding precedent. In some case not even replying and jist paying a default award is the cheapest route as long as it doesn't establish precedent.
Which is exactly my point.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
Thanks for the heads-up! Let's see what happens. Getting €800 in credits for staying by the pool all morning while waiting for the flight would be the cherry on top of the cake!
It’s been 30 days since I filled the claim no response from Delta. Is there a time limit that the airline has to respond to my claim? If so, how should I proceed?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by boboqui

It’s been 30 days since I filled the claim no response from Delta. Is there a time limit that the airline has to respond to my claim? If so, how should I proceed?
30 days is what I as a DM am having it take. Wait till 45 and call customer service with your case number. There's no deadline AFAIK.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:24 pm

I filed a EC 261 claim with Delta for a flight at the beginning of August. I submitted the claim online and received a "canned" email with a case number. As it had been approximately 28 days I called today to check on my claim and after being transferred 2 or 3 times I finally spoke to a knowledgeable agent about my claim. She informed me my wife and I (both GM) were due compensation under the rules as our delay was +12 hours to our final destination. In addition I informed her of the out of pocket expenses I incurred (hotel, food, taxi) and she mentioned these would also be covered at a standard reimbursement rate (I believe $200 for the hotel, $100 for the taxi, and $100 for the food). Unfortunately they couldn't just credit my card however they're sending us a check (takes up to 30 days) for the EC 261 and additional expenses.

In terms of background on our claim it was due to a maintenance delay out of NCE that caused us to miss our connection at JFK.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:38 pm

Eu261 response times?

Any recent experiances with delta paying out EU261?

Was on last sunday's DL 11 which arrived in MSP over 4 hours late, logged and raised a compliant via the website.

Just curious if anybody has any recent experience with timelines or difficulty with getting the 600 Euros compensation
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by SW7London
Any recent experiances with delta paying out EU261?

Was on last sunday's DL 11 which arrived in MSP over 4 hours late, logged and raised a compliant via the website.

Just curious if anybody has any recent experience with timelines or difficulty with getting the 600 Euros compensation
I give any complaint these days about a month or more (even as a DM) for a response. I filed an EU261 claim a little over a year ago and got a personal phone call about a month later saying my compensation was on the way.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm going to move this into a big EU261 discussion thread.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta, AA
How do I file EC 261 Claim

This is my first post and I'm hoping for help. I was on a Delta flight from BRU to JFK which was delayed 4+ hours due to mechanical issues. The flight was delayed over two hours then allowed boarding. While on the plane they determined there was an other issue, about an hour and half later the flight was cancelled and returned to the gate. The next flight was the following day. I received an email with 12,500 skymile compensation but I'd like to file a EC 261 claim. Is there a specific form? Where to I file this, by mail or is there a place on there website to request this. I believe I am allowed 600euros.

Last edited by seas; Apr 21, 2019 at 1:33 pm
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:15 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Welcome to FlyerTalk Delta forum!

A moderator will likely move your post to another thread that's already discussing this issue, but, please read the 2 very recent posts I posted with my experience about this, and how easy it was! I'm just asking that when you send an eMail, please don't use my exact letter.

Thanx!

DT - - - Good luck!

The narrative of what happened:

EU Compensation Claim

What I did and how Delta resolved it - FAST!

EU Compensation Claim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.