Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Regulation (EC) 261/2004 Delayed flight - Delta Air Lines Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regulation (EC) 261/2004 Delayed flight - Delta Air Lines Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I do not believe that will qualify because the arrival was less than 4 hours delayed. On long hauls from EU to US (non EU), the trigger seems to be 4 hour delayed arrival. It might even be 5 hours now, at least according to this: EUR-Lex - l24173 - EN - EUR-Lex

Did friend miss a connection from JFK onwards?
I had a succesful claim in 2016 NCE-JFK, but it was delayed a full day and involved an overnight stay in JFK b/c I missed connection.
Friend didn't miss a connection. Itinerary terminated at JFK.

Below is how I interpreted the EU261 rules (taken from United's forum discussion of EU261)

Compensation in case of cancellations and delays of 3 hours or more:
  • €250* for all flights less than 1,500km
  • €400* for all intra-EU flights more than 1,500km
  • €400* for all other flights between 1,500 and 3,500km
  • €600* for all flights not falling under the conditions as listed above

*The compensation described above is sometimes reduced by ½ in court if the following conditions are met:
  • If you arrive within two (2) hours after your original arrival time for flights 1,500km or less then €125.is due
  • If you arrive within three (3) hours after your original arrival time for intra-EU flights greater than 1,500km then €200 is due.
  • If you arrive within three (3) hours after your original arrival time for all other flights between 1,500km - 3,500km then €200 is due.
  • If you arrive within four (4) hours after your original arrival time for all other flights not listed above then €300 is due.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Friend didn't miss a connection. Itinerary terminated at JFK.

Below is how I interpreted the EU261 rules (taken from United's forum discussion of EU261)

Compensation in case of cancellations and delays of 3 hours or more:
  • €250* for all flights less than 1,500km
  • €400* for all intra-EU flights more than 1,500km
  • €400* for all other flights between 1,500 and 3,500km
  • €600* for all flights not falling under the conditions as listed above

*The compensation described above is sometimes reduced by ½ in court if the following conditions are met:
  • If you arrive within two (2) hours after your original arrival time for flights 1,500km or less then €125.is due
  • If you arrive within three (3) hours after your original arrival time for intra-EU flights greater than 1,500km then €200 is due.
  • If you arrive within three (3) hours after your original arrival time for all other flights between 1,500km - 3,500km then €200 is due.
  • If you arrive within four (4) hours after your original arrival time for all other flights not listed above then €300 is due.
Did you read through this thread before posting (the DL one)? Because Post #66 and onwards describes a situation like yours (3.5 hours arrival delay though a connection in middle). It seems I was incorrect. Go back and read 66-67.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:32 am

Today's DL217 PDL-JFK scheduled departure at 8:15AM was delayed until 2PM. Do I have a case?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by boboqui
Today's DL217 PDL-JFK scheduled departure at 8:15AM was delayed until 2PM. Do I have a case?
If your arrival is delayed >3 hours, which presumably it will be, then I should think so. Of course, if the cause is extraordinary weather or another disqualifying event, then no.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
extraordinary weather
That is an extremely small set of qualifying circumstances. Snow in July might qualify.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:34 am

If your arrival is delayed >3 hours, which presumably it will be, then I should think so. Of course, if the cause is extraordinary weather or another disqualifying event, then no.
Last night's rain in NY delayed the incoming aircraft, causing today's flight delay. Should I go ahead and file a claim?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Last night's rain in NY delayed the incoming aircraft, causing today's flight delay. Should I go ahead and file a claim?
File, but expect the answer is no
The flight is late due to weather.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
But the weather in the Azores was fine all week.

If Delta denies my claim can I go to airhelp, or does airhelp have to file the original claim?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If Delta denies my claim can I go to airhelp, or does airhelp have to file the original claim?
Inbound delayed by weather is not a valid grounds for denial.

Try DL first, if they deny, give it to one of the services that will prosecute for a share of the recovery.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sorry, that's not how EC261 works.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:42 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
are you connecting at JFK or is that your final destination? EC261 compensation isn't based on departure delays but arrival (at final destination) delays.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Inbound delayed by weather is not a valid grounds for denial.

Try DL first, if they deny, give it to one of the services that will prosecute for a share of the recovery.

Sorry, that's not how EC261 works.
Since when? No where in the rule does it require airline to have what would amount to one time use aircraft. If you're referring to the Easyjet case, 1)it's not binding precedent, 2)was deemed way too broad and 3)even in light of that case the nation enforcement agencies agreed that airlines could still deny claims. It would just be a higher burden.

If I've missed a binding case since then please let me know.

If this was a BA flight then it likely wouldn't be considered a defense as they have multiple aircraft and crew they could send. However this is an outstation on the otherwise of the Atlantic for Delta. It's not reasonable for Delta to be able to source a replacement plane and/or crew to operate.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 28, 2018 at 10:19 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:53 pm

Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. You can go to one of the claims agencies after DL denies your claim. Those agencies are a good sounding board as they don't get paid unless they collect and they only bring claims where they know they can win. However, you may find it hard given that any claim will need to be filed in Portugal or perhaps specifically a court in the Azores and the claims agencies can be quite picky.

2. It is completely untrue that a late-arriving aircraft due to poor weather is not extraordinary circumstances. It is all about reasonableness. It is likely reasonable for DL to have a spare aircraft and crew at LHR, given the volume of its TATL service. But, at PDL, it would not likely be reasonable for DL to have a spare aircraft and crew and there is not likely anywhere closer than LHR with one, meaning that sending that aircraft to PDL to operate PDL-JFK would almost certainly result in a 3+ or 4+ hour delay.

I would expect DL to rightfully deny the claim and it be quite hard for OP to find a claims agency to take this on.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
1. You can go to one of the claims agencies after DL denies your claim. Those agencies are a good sounding board as they don't get paid unless they collect and they only bring claims where they know they can win. However, you may find it hard given that any claim will need to be filed in Portugal or perhaps specifically a court in the Azores and the claims agencies can be quite picky.

2. It is completely untrue that a late-arriving aircraft due to poor weather is not extraordinary circumstances. It is all about reasonableness. It is likely reasonable for DL to have a spare aircraft and crew at LHR, given the volume of its TATL service. But, at PDL, it would not likely be reasonable for DL to have a spare aircraft and crew and there is not likely anywhere closer than LHR with one, meaning that sending that aircraft to PDL to operate PDL-JFK would almost certainly result in a 3+ or 4+ hour delay.

I would expect DL to rightfully deny the claim and it be quite hard for OP to find a claims agency to take this on.
Thanks for the heads-up! Let's see what happens. Getting €800 in credits for staying by the pool all morning while waiting for the flight would be the cherry on top of the cake!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Kacee
Inbound delayed by weather is not a valid grounds for denial..
My understanding is that a WX inbound is not IN ITSELF sufficient to deny compensation. The basis for that rulling was that often an airline could reasonably have ability to handle it by swapping equipment.. An obvious example would be at a major hub.

I assume in this case DL would have had a single flight in/out. So could not reasonably be expected to have a backup. And thus no soup for OP :-)

[Sorry OP, but you you might as well submit and see if it works. Likely to get some happy miles even if they deny it]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.