Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by angra
I just now pulled this from dl.com under T&C for GUC:

Is there something newer somewhere?

It's KLM operated flights. One just had an equipment swap that dropped the PE class, so this may all be moot anyway, but for now is still relevant for the flight that does have the PE cabin.

I have an EF subscription.
It's just they haven't updated terms online. Before now there was no such thing as AF marketed KL operated PE. If agent gives pushback have them contact JV support desk. If support desk gives pushback, have them contact AF. However the JV desk is usually well versed in changes.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's just they haven't updated terms online. Before now there was no such thing as AF marketed KL operated PE. If agent gives pushback have them contact JV support desk. If support desk gives pushback, have them contact AF. However the JV desk is usually well versed in changes.
Roger all that - I was just wondering if anyone had actually done it, yet, or specifically heard that the T&C were set to be updted. Oftentimes the T&C are scrupulously followed, particularly when it comes to issue that typical agents don't deal with often.

I have to deal with the downgrade, first, though - I may cancel the trip if they can't accommodate me in PE
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by angra
I just now pulled this from dl.com under T&C for GUC:

Is there something newer somewhere?

It's KLM operated flights. One just had an equipment swap that dropped the PE class, so this may all be moot anyway, but for now is still relevant for the flight that does have the PE cabin.

I have an EF subscription.
PE is brand new in KL. I think the T&C haven't been updated. The only reason there are different rules for KL/*AF and AF/*KL is because of the lack of PE on KLM, they are basically the same rules and both KL and AF use the same fare codes and bucket logic. Once PE rolls out on KL, the rules should be the same as a AF coded, AF operated flight.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Sure - I get that. But Delta has a history of following the details of the rules as written, not as they _should_ be written, hence my query. I'll certainly post back with my experience if I end up taking the trip (Late October).
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
GUC on KLM - mileage credit change?

I have used GUCs on KLM many times over the past few years. As everyone knows, this process can be painful, but if you know there is Z availability on EF, persistence pays off. However, recently I have noticed that the flights are now changed to DL flight numbers rather than KL, and mileage credit for MQD's is no longer based on miles flown (which was awesome!), and is now based on ticket price. (not so awesome...)
I always thought this was a bit of a glitch in the matrix anyway, but has anyone else noticed this change?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Boony1970
I have used GUCs on KLM many times over the past few years. As everyone knows, this process can be painful, but if you know there is Z availability on EF, persistence pays off. However, recently I have noticed that the flights are now changed to DL flight numbers rather than KL, and mileage credit for MQD's is no longer based on miles flown (which was awesome!), and is now based on ticket price. (not so awesome...)
I always thought this was a bit of a glitch in the matrix anyway, but has anyone else noticed this change?
Flight numbers are still changed.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Delta agent told me that GUCs can’t be used if they layover time is more than 4 hours. I had a KLM flight (BLR-AMS-ATL) that has Z class availability in both segments but she could not upgrade because layover in AMS was 8 hours.. Never knew about this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Delta agent told me that GUCs can’t be used if they layover time is more than 4 hours. I had a KLM flight (BLR-AMS-ATL) that has Z class availability in both segments but she could not upgrade because layover in AMS was 8 hours.. Never knew about this.
HUCA. YOu were talking to a new agent that had no idea what they were talking about. It’s 4 hours max for domestic tickets and 24 for international.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Thanks. It is pain to use GUCs. And the agent put me on hold for some time to let me know is 'rule' LOL.

Originally Posted by Utskicat
HUCA. YOu were talking to a new agent that had no idea what they were talking about. It’s 4 hours max for domestic tickets and 24 for international.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Boony1970
When you booked those flights, were they KLM-marketed, but DL-operated? If yes, then flight #s will change to DLxxx....that has always been the case AFAIK.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
These were KLM operated flights. In the past, to process the GUC's, the DL rep would re-ticket in Z class. The flights would get credited as KL flight and thus receive MQD's based on %of miles flown - which for a $600 fare could yield triple that amount.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:17 am

GUC schedule change on AF works like old days YAY!

I have an upcoming trip YUL-CDG-HND using a GUC pre-Feb rule changes on AF Z-class. Flights were cancelled by AF. I had to move trip 2 days prior on outbound and 1 day prior on return. I checked on EF before calling Delta. I was pretty nervous because there was no AF/Z inventory, only pure J (not even C/D). As everyone knows there have been some horror stories about schedule changes using GUCs before the Feb rule changes to PE base fare requirement. In the past there have also been issues with DL saying they cannot overbook Z on AF/KL which was my biggest concern.

Needless to say, I was prepared to fight but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. I called first thing this morning, asked to be transferred to the AF/KL JV support desk (Diamond agent was surprisingly compliant….here exact works were “you must know the ropes, I’ll transfer you right over”, got a blind transfer which was fabulous…could talk to the agent directly). Waited only about 10 mins in queue and got a AF/KL reissues agent that had access to both Deltamatic and Sabre. I explained what my new dates were since my original dates were cancelled. I also told her I know that only J inventory is remaining. She said “no problem, since its a GUC, Ill just overbook Z in Sabre and then clean up all the junk segments in both DL and AF sides. We chit chatted while she did the changes. I thanked her for knowing the rules. She said she had worked the desk for over 10 years and stuck around during covid. She reiterated the fact (which I already knew) that when applying GUCs or changing any AF/KL/VS segment, you always push the diamond desk to transfer to the JV desk. I asked her about how easy it was her to force the Z class since that has not been my experience in the past. She said that ALL AF/KL support agents now have access to DL and Sabre and Altea which was not the case in the past. She said she had to overbook the segments in Sabre and then wait for them to sync to Deltamatic then she pushed the actual reissue from the Delta side. She said that if you aren’t talking to the right desk, they don’t have access to sabre and cannot force Z class on AF flights from DL side if the Z class is gone.

All in all she had the new dates booked and reissued in under 10 mins. I gladly gave her an above and beyond certificate!!

If all diamond reissues were this easy….
metalblaze likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:47 am

Applying GUC on KLM flight Not Offered On DL

Hello All,

Question on applying GUCs: I want to book a KLM flight (IAH-AMS-TPE) using my GUCs. This route is not offered on DL, only KLM. I called the diamond line and was told because they do not see this itinerary available (DL only shows westbound itineraries), that a GUC cannot be applied. Is this correct, or do I need a more-knowledgeable agent?

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sanjuan13
Hello All,

Question on applying GUCs: I want to book a KLM flight (IAH-AMS-TPE) using my GUCs. This route is not offered on DL, only KLM. I called the diamond line and was told because they do not see this itinerary available (DL only shows westbound itineraries), that a GUC cannot be applied. Is this correct, or do I need a more-knowledgeable agent?

Thanks!
Book directly with KLM. You then call DL to upgrade.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Book directly with KLM. You then call DL to upgrade.
That’s my intent - I called DL to verify the upgrade availability before booking on KLM. But, DL said since they can’t “see” the itinerary (i.e. they don’t market it as shown), they can’t perform the upgrade. The T&Cs say GUCs can be applied “system wide” for KLM, but not sure what that means. I’m going to call back and ask another agent I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.