Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta 24 Hour "Risk Free" Cancellation Policy Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by MarshnConsMom
This is what was listed on their website: I put in bold where it states the no paper ticket policy.

Risk-free Cancellation
As part of our Low Fare Promise, you can now get a refund for electronic tickets you purchased directly through Delta. You don’t even have to call.

Once you've bought your ticket, you have a day to cancel a ticket for any reason and receive a full refund—including any prepaid fees and Direct Ticketing Charges—with no cancellation fee.

See full terms and conditions for additional details.

Here’s how it works:

Use your name and flight confirmation number or your SkyMiles number and PIN to search for your itinerary. Then, cancel your ticket. Your refund will be automatically applied to your original form of payment.
If you purchased your ticket at a Delta ticket office or airport ticket counter, e-mail your receipt number (beginning with 006) for a refund of the Direct Ticketing Charge.
Terms & Conditions
Tickets/Cancellation:
Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the ticket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first. Available only for tickets purchased at the time of reservation through Delta ticket offices and airport ticket counters, Reservation Sales, or at delta.com or flysong.com.

Validity:
Valid for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada, regardless of where the ticket is purchased.

If you wish to pay for your ticket with any paper currency—such as cash, or check, or denied boarding voucher—you may make the reservation over the phone, which will guarantee the fare for 24 hours. Your ticket must be purchased at a Delta ticketing location by midnight of the following day, or your reservation will be cancelled. Once purchased, these tickets will not be eligible for cancellation under the Risk-Free Cancellation policy.

Does not apply to paper tickets or to non-revenue tickets such as SkyMiles Awards.

Miscellaneous:
Cancellation request does not need to go through the same area in which the ticket was purchased. For example, if you purchase via Reservations, you can cancel through delta.com.

Fares, offers and rules are subject to change without notice.
Firs, welcome to FT MarshnConsMom.

Second, do you have a link to that page? When I go to http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...mise/index.jsp, I get different wording, and cannot see where it says no paper tickets.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by vinnmann
Second, do you have a link to that page? When I go to http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...mise/index.jsp, I get different wording, and cannot see where it says no paper tickets.
Here's the link:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...tion/index.jsp

A.J.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by wleemoore025
someone just posted what I wanted to... was going thru signup process
Actually, that's why I signed up. I just read this today because I have a friend who thought about canceling a ticket bought yesterday. He didn't have access to the internet at the time, so I thought I'd read up on the policy for him.

I figured I'd pass along what I read.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Keep the printout of the DL web page (that you pasted here), detailing DL's risk-free cancellation policy. You can send that to AmEx with your dispute request. Also document the date and time that you called DL, and perhaps you noted the CSR's name who you spoke with. AmEx is usually very accommodating.

Also, every reservation has a 'history' attached to it which shows the exact date and time that any changes were made to the reservation. You as a consumer usually do not have access to this, but if AmEx wants more proof (unlikely), you can refer them to this history and ask that they obtain a copy of this history directly from DL using your record locator.

I am sure it will work out in the end.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Bulldog King
Clearly recently changed; my earlier post shows the wording that existed a few days ago (it was a direct copy-and-paste).
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL MM
There's a possibility of conflicting versions of the "risk-free cancellation" policy.

However when I made and paid for the reservation, there was no indication prior to payment (that I can remember) that a paper ticket will be issued. I realized that a paper-ticket will be issued only after I'd received and read the e-mail confirmation. All flight segments are either DL or DL code-share.

Thanks all, for your info and helpful suggestions. ^
Old Oct 25, 2005, 9:23 am

Programs: DL MM
DL called me to apologize!

Just received a call from Delta admitting that it had made a mistake, and is refunding the $150 cancellation penalty that it had previously charged to me.

I'm glad that Delta is being proactive about fixing its mistake(s), and thanked the gentleman who'd called me. I do hope that Delta has corrected its internal processes so that no one else will be affected by this again.

All's end that ends well. ^
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Nice when things work the way they're supposed to work! ^
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:46 pm

Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the e>ticket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first.
I need some help...I've searched and I've called...

Is the risk-free cancellation policy for midnight in my local time zone or midnight Eastern time?

I've called three times - 1 said local, 2 said Eastern.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
Originally Posted by whistler814
I need some help...I've searched and I've called...

Is the risk-free cancellation policy for midnight in my local time zone or midnight Eastern time?

I've called three times - 1 said local, 2 said Eastern.

Thanks!
A Delta agent advised me that it the cancellation policy is based on Zulu (military) time. In fact, I have been able to cancel reservations online and receive a full refund 46 hours after making them.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Booked a flight for Nov recently and realized later that night that I booked the wrong date. Called in to SMS pleading stupidity to get it changed. Since it was within 24 hours (or something like that she said), she did a cancel, and a rebook. No charge for telephone booking or change. But probably will not get the 500 mile bonus either.

Even though the new ticket cost more ( I had already looked it up before I called), it was a pleasant experience.

Looking back, I should have known I could have just cancelled it.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Risk-free Cancellation--Cancel by Midnight Which Time Zone?

My apologies if this has been posted before. The search feature is down and Google search isn't finding anything for me.

Which time zone does the "Risk-free Cancellation" program work off of. EST? GMT?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:37 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ancel+midnight
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Kahuna
A Delta agent advised me that it the cancellation policy is based on Zulu (military) time. In fact, I have been able to cancel reservations online and receive a full refund 46 hours after making them.
For us non-military types living in the Eastern time zone, when is that? If I bought a ticket at 9 PM EDT on Sunday, what is the latest free cancellation time in EDT?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by mshaikun
For us non-military types living in the Eastern time zone, when is that? If I bought a ticket at 9 PM EDT on Sunday, what is the latest free cancellation time in EDT?
"Zulu time" is the same as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Since FT runs on GMT, it's an easy way to know Zulu time. Just scroll to the bottom of the page where is says "All times are GMT. The time now is X:XX xm."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.