Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
So, by the sound of this, coach award tickets for a Diamond would clear before a revenue ticket for a Platinum, correct?

If so, for DM's willing to gamble, doesn't this mean we can reasonably start booking coach domestic awards but now stand a very high chance of upgrading?

If so, very valuable change imo.

Jamie
I just got upgraded at the window for an award ticket next week. ^
Old May 1, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
DM coach award tickets have always cleared before PM revenue tickets at least for as long as I've been flying DL. BTW, all awards I've ever booked have been coach and I've only missed an upgrade a few times.
There's a great reason for this... Top elites seek out low award levels to get the best redemption value out of their points, which are obviously only offered if Delta doesn't think they'd otherwise fill their cabin. Hence, little competition for upgrades.

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Thank you for this. I think I'll stop booking F domestic awards. But companions are not eligible, right? So, keep booking F for the Mrs, but book Y for me and hope for the best?

safe travels - jamie
See my point above. I would only count on your award ticket getting upgraded if you get a low level award.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Beckles
BTW, the title of this thread is basically a complete lie.
I swear I was just about to post the same. Y Class upgrades do not disappear. They will no longer be automatic and instant. But a high level medallion on a Y fare will be very high indeed in the pecking order. And NO I am not being pedantic.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Are you sure you would have ever been given much priority with a non-status companion?

What route are these tickets for?

I am surprised there is a route where upgrades matter much (i.e., more than a couple hours) where you can't buy a FC fare in advance (even a refundable one) for less than a coach ticket in the Y fare class. For example, I just looked at PWM-SEA for December 23rd (Friday) to December 26th (Monday), which I would imagine are some of the most expensive FC fares around for December, and a flexible first ticket is several hundred less than a full-fare Y coach ticket.

I'm just trying to help you here, because I think you're either mistaken in what you've bought and/or making a mistake in what you're buying for what you want to accomplish (fly in first class and/or have a refundable ticket).
Agreed, though if flying for business their could be restrictions that would lead some to purchase Y (either not allowed to buy F, need flexible ticket, or both)
Old May 1, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Are you sure you would have ever been given much priority with a non-status companion?

What route are these tickets for?

I am surprised there is a route where upgrades matter much (i.e., more than a couple hours) where you can't buy a FC fare in advance (even a refundable one) for less than a coach ticket in the Y fare class. For example, I just looked at PWM-SEA for December 23rd (Friday) to December 26th (Monday), which I would imagine are some of the most expensive FC fares around for December, and a flexible first ticket is several hundred less than a full-fare Y coach ticket.

I'm just trying to help you here, because I think you're either mistaken in what you've bought and/or making a mistake in what you're buying for what you want to accomplish (fly in first class and/or have a refundable ticket).

Also, I'm surprised at least one of your segments wouldn't have cleared already, before the rule change, if you really had a full-fare Y ticket and it wasn't dragged down by having the non-status companion.
This is a bit of a long story. Route is PWM-ATL-MBJ. I already have two tickets in J booked the whole way for relatives and have been trying to book Mrs. JayTeaBee & I on the same flights. Needless to say the original deal I got is nowhere to be found and prices on these flights are out of control for any seat. Eventually I was able to snag two more tickets but Y fares on the domestic segments and J (Z fare business) for the international. Tickets were all same price. I jumped on the combo fare as I thought even with companion ,Y fares would have priority at the gate based on my status. Perhaps I was wrong. Although the one thing I could have done was split my pnr after booking and at least cleared myself into 1st immediately. Wanted to have best shot for both of us to be up front on domestic segs despite not being able to book directly in.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
This is a bit of a long story. Route is PWM-ATL-MBJ. I already have two tickets in J booked the whole way for relatives and have been trying to book Mrs. JayTeaBee & I on the same flights. Needless to say the original deal I got is nowhere to be found and prices on these flights are out of control for any seat. Eventually I was able to snag two more tickets but Y fares on the domestic segments and J (Z fare business) for the international. Tickets were all same price. I jumped on the combo fare as I thought even with companion ,Y fares would have priority at the gate based on my status. Perhaps I was wrong. Although the one thing I could have done was split my pnr after booking and at least cleared myself into 1st immediately. Wanted to have best shot for both of us to be up front on domestic segs despite not being able to book directly in.
Could it be that you purchased a Z through fare, but for the domestic segments it books into G. If G wasn't available for FC seats, the computer put you into coach but gave you Y class coach inventory. Have you looked at the fare construction? Unless you forced the ticket this way, it would be strange for the computer to break the fare and give you such a high fare class on the domestic segments unless these flights are extremely full.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could it be that you purchased a Z through fare, but for the domestic segments it books into G. If G wasn't available for FC seats, the computer put you into coach but gave you Y class coach inventory. Have you looked at the fare construction? Unless you forced the ticket this way, it would be strange for the computer to break the fare and give you such a high fare class on the domestic segments unless these flights are extremely full.
It is most def a Y fare on domestic segment. I have not looked deep into the fare construction, I'm not in that deep to understand nor am I sure how to pull that now... ? It was odd, I priced this out on ITA Matrix, could not replicate on DL.dumb and ended up booking it via Priceline.

DATE AND FLIGHT STATUS CLASS MEALS/OTHER SEAT/CABIN
Fri 02Dec2016 | DL 1249 | PWM To ► ATL OPEN Y 15D
Fri 02Dec2016 | DL 727 | ATL To ► MBJ OPEN Z 1C
Fri 09Dec2016 | DL 304 | MBJ To ► ATL OPEN Z 3B
Fri 09Dec2016 | DL 380 | ATL To ► PWM OPEN Y 15D
Old May 1, 2016, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not an expert on ITA Matrix, but doesn't it show the fare construction? Normally booking a few segments in full Y would be enormously expensive, so that I would expect an I or D through fare to be cheaper in most cases rather than a broken fare using Z and Y.

When you say Priceline, can we assume that this is a published fare and not a name your own price special?
Old May 1, 2016, 11:49 pm

I didn't save the fare construction at the time, but here's a similar one although in this instance the international books int I one way and Z the other, both business though. The domestic are once again in Y. This is about 200$ more than what I booked:

Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
PWM DL X/ATL DL MBJ 601.00INNA0NFZ DL X/ATL DL PWM 434.00ZNNL6NFZ NUC 1035.00 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 3.96XA 35.60US 11.20AY 21.85EK 5.00EL 20.00HG 3.00JT 20.00QK 8.00UC 14.60WD 13.50XF PWM4.50 ATL4.50 ATL4.50

Regarding priceline, there are booking scripts for ITA that someone on FT told me about: https://github.com/paul21ft/ita-matrix-powertools. I found them quite useful. I couldn't price this out on DL but the script pointed me to priceline and I locked it in.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yohanson
I don't know but they do. I've been contacted via email telling me that a credit was applied to my ticket from a soon to be expiring credit from someone else. I've also canceled flights and have not been able to apply the credit to another flight. It showed in "My Wallet" on delta.com for a few days then disappeared. I ended up paying the full fare for the next flight because there was no credit to apply even though in Concur, like on the Delta website, it showed there being a credit. That credit disappeared in Concur too. Others in my company have told me the same thing. It must be some deal my company has worked out with Delta.
Correct. My company uses Travel-more and credits get applied from others in the company.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
So after reading the terms at http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html,

I get the impression that Y is now being treated the same as any other fare (ignoring any Double Secret Priority like Amex Reserve, corporate accounts, etc.) for purposes of upgrades. In other words, whereas upgrade priority had been:
DM Y
PM Y
GM Y
FO Y
DM B, M, ... X, V
PM B, M, ... X, V
GM B, M, ... X, V
FO B, M, ... X, V

everything is now consolidated (aha! there's the "simplification"!) into 4 tiers:

DM Y, B, M, ... X, V
PM Y, B, M, ... X, V
GM Y, B, M, ... X, V
FO Y, B, M, ... X, V

Since the time-of-ticketing Y upgrade is being taken away, everything is now handled at the respective medallion window or battlefield. That means it's impossible for an FO on Y to trump a PM on X just because the FO window is 4 days after the PM window.

Am I misunderstanding anything?
Old May 2, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
Since the time-of-ticketing Y upgrade is being taken away, everything is now handled at the respective medallion window or battlefield.

Upgrades are being done at the window or at the gate, the infamous YBYL policy means battlefield upgrades are unlikely.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Since the time-of-ticketing Y upgrade is being taken away, everything is now handled at the respective medallion window or battlefield. That means it's impossible for an FO on Y to trump a PM on X just because the FO window is 4 days after the PM window.

Upgrades are being done at the window or at the gate, the infamous YBYL policy means battlefield upgrades are unlikely.
Many people mean "Upgraded at the gate" when they say "Battlefield Upgrade".

So after reading the terms at http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html,

I get the impression that Y is now being treated the same as any other fare (ignoring any Double Secret Priority like Amex Reserve, corporate accounts, etc.) for purposes of upgrades. In other words, whereas upgrade priority had been:
DM Y
PM Y
GM Y
FO Y
DM B, M, ... X, V
PM B, M, ... X, V
GM B, M, ... X, V
FO B, M, ... X, V

everything is now consolidated (aha! there's the "simplification"!) into 4 tiers:

DM Y, B, M, ... X, V
PM Y, B, M, ... X, V
GM Y, B, M, ... X, V
FO Y, B, M, ... X, V
That's the impression I get initially - that it's now 4 simple tiers (plus those using instruments to UG) although I get the impression reading this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...pgrades-5.html that things could be getting a little muddy as well with corporate factors and AmEx spend factoring in too.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:44 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
And those people are using the term battlefield upgrade incorrectly, a battlefield upgrade is an upgrade aboard the aircraft.

That's the impression I get initially - that it's now 4 simple tiers (plus those using instruments to UG) although I get the impression reading this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...pgrades-5.html that things could be getting a little muddy as well with corporate factors and AmEx spend factoring in too.
I think saying it's 4 tiers is a simplification, and actually not quite right because you'd have a fifth tier of non-status (i.e., those with a companion on the same PNR who get dragged down below SM's) even at that level of simplification. Even beside that though you've got 15 subtiers (Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, R, O, N) and then finally the tiebreakers you mention. That is murky as you say, though I suspect they are listed in order of importance in the recent material, so Reserve > Corporate > $25k MQD > No priority, then finally with date/time of request the ultimate tiebreaker if someone is tied after that. Of course, say I'm both Reserve and $25k MQD and someone else is only Reserve and not $25k MQD but otherwise the same, would I win based on having two priorities or is only the highest priority counted? Who knows ... chances of it coming down to that are slim enough that it's would be an unlikely occurrence.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And those people are using the term battlefield upgrade incorrectly, a battlefield upgrade is an upgrade aboard the aircraft.
I confess to being one of those who used to use the term incorrectly. After a time on FT I now use, at the window, at the gate, battlefield. I have never had a battlefield on Delta only ever on Continental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.