Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y Class Upgrades Discontinued April 30th

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
New upgrade order for upgrades that favors medallion members..

New upgrade order rumor on Points miles and martinis... any ideas if this is true?
Full Y fares on May 1 no longer trumps medallion status...

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...572.1403225619
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
The article mentions some other surprising changes as well:
"Delta corporate partner travelers will now have a higher prioritization within the Medallion peer set for upgrades", and
"If all else is considered equal, members who have spent at least $25,000 in the current calendar year on their Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express will enjoy higher priority"

Even if the changes are true, it is unclear whether Medallions on Y fares will remain able to access RU/OU inventory to upgrade before the DM upgrade window opens.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:10 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
New upgrade order rumor on Points miles and martinis... any ideas if this is true?
Full Y fares on May 1 no longer trumps medallion status...

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...572.1403225619
This is going to work out great for me..
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Not sure if I like this or not. I suspect the number of fu'll Y pax on my routes is minimal, while those who play the CC game may be higher... I will withhold my opinion on this for a while....

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Apr 29, 2016 at 5:43 am
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Y fares should most definitely trump medallion status.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by gDolan
Very disappointed by this news--my company (~100,000 employees) purchases Y fares by default. I got the bump to F >40% of the time as an FO under this system. That's high, but the average ticket we bought cost ~60 CPM (before rebates)--we've been very profitable for DL and I hope their new system is still able to reward our extraordinary levels of DL spend.
My company (~140,000) has us purchasing the cheapest coach tickets (within an ever changing dollar amount of the cheapest seat...used to be up to $100 more but has since shrunk and expanded). They feel change fees and canceled ticket fees are better than paying exorbitant prices for refundable fares. Now they are even pooling the leftover ticket values of canceled flights and applying that to existing tickets.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
My company (~140,000) has us purchasing the cheapest coach tickets (within an ever changing dollar amount of the cheapest seat...used to be up to $100 more but has since shrunk and expanded). They feel change fees and canceled ticket fees are better than paying exorbitant prices for refundable fares. Now they are even pooling the leftover ticket values of canceled flights and applying that to existing tickets.
How can you pool across different people or even use multiple credits for a single flight?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm confused. Is the preference for Reserve cardholders and corporate travel partners applied within each Medallion level independently of the fare class purchased? It sounds to me like the $25K DL AmEx spend criteria is the tiebreaker just before it goes to time of upgrade request, but would a DM corporate travel partner on a V fare beat a DM who isn't a corporate travel partner on a Y fare, assuming for fun that both have the Reserve card?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: DL DM MM
Everyone seems shocked that Y, by itself, is no longer at the top of the heap because it doesn't make business sense. On the contrary, this change incentivizes more frequent business flights on Delta or for companies to spring for 1st class if not. Currently, Y is a way to get first class at a discount, even if you're not a Delta FF. Delta is #1 in monetizing everything. I'm sure they figured out that this will help their bottom line.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How can you pool across different people or even use multiple credits for a single flight?
I don't know but they do. I've been contacted via email telling me that a credit was applied to my ticket from a soon to be expiring credit from someone else. I've also canceled flights and have not been able to apply the credit to another flight. It showed in "My Wallet" on delta.com for a few days then disappeared. I ended up paying the full fare for the next flight because there was no credit to apply even though in Concur, like on the Delta website, it showed there being a credit. That credit disappeared in Concur too. Others in my company have told me the same thing. It must be some deal my company has worked out with Delta.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
delta.com allows up to 3 e-credits to be used at checkout.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta, AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold
Unless a government employee travels the same route all the time, they're unlikely to be a high level airline FF program elite because they must split their travel among carriers based on who has the government contract fare for the city pair.

Some other carriers don't prioritize government YCA fares as Y for upgrades and other benefits. YCA means last seat availability; HCA is also flexible.

I recall some reports here of GAs moving people with YCA fares farther down the gate upgrade lists.
As a gov't traveler I had that happen once in 3 years as a silver flyer. Every other time it was considered a Y ticket. I will say every ticket we used to fly was Y but the last couple of years we have started to see a lot of other fares.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
With no inside info as to why the changes I being made my speculation is it has to do with a couple of things

1) Government fares YCA, cheap and that would cause an FO to jump a DM.
2) Shuttle Fares have a lot of insane discounts for some corporations in Y fares
I was hopeful that they were fixing this. It seems insane that it's impossible for a DM to get an upgrade on the shuttle because of these items. I think they should remove the "Y trumps all medallions" rule on the shuttle, at least.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by lamont2718
The article mentions some other surprising changes as well:
"Delta corporate partner travelers will now have a higher prioritization within the Medallion peer set for upgrades", and
"If all else is considered equal, members who have spent at least $25,000 in the current calendar year on their Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express will enjoy higher priority"

Even if the changes are true, it is unclear whether Medallions on Y fares will remain able to access RU/OU inventory to upgrade before the DM upgrade window opens.
If true then this is getting more confusing and opaque.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:58 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Not sure if I like this or not. I suspect the number of fu'll Y pax on my routes is minimal, while those who play the CC game may be higher... I will withhold my opinion on this for a while....
As far as the CC game, delta is revenue based...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.