Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I thought I posted this yesterday but cannot find such a post this morning.

I did pre-select on Sunday for Wednesday's MSP-AMS. I have 2K but want 2A which can only be done at the gate if 2A is still available.

Are there any complications with the pre-selected meal if one changes seats at the gate?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Regardless of any official policy on this, I'd inform the FA and purser so they don't give your meal away.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:27 pm

Preselect fail 160 msp-ams.

Purser had no record in his device so good I spoke up in 2j

Same story for 3 and 4 j

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 13, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Xeno
Preselect fail 160 msp-ams.

Purser had no record in his device so good I spoke up in 2j

Same story for 3 and 4 j
Were the on-board options the same as the pre-select options?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Were the on-board options the same as the pre-select options?
I was able to get my first choice primarily because I mentioned my pre-order to the Purser when he handed out the menus. I did not look closely at the printed menu to see if it varied from what I remembered of the online menu once I secure my first choice.

The couple in 3&4J seemed to never have flown in D1 before. They did a running commentary on the contents of the amenity kit. In any case, they fortunately got their first choice as well.

The mishap may have simply been that the device used by the Purser could not connect to the appropriate DL server. On the other hand, this is fair warning that such things will happen on occasion.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 16, 2018 at 1:28 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I was able to get my first choice primarily because I mentioned my pre-order to the Purser when he handed out the menus. I did not look closely at the printed menu to see if it varied from what I remembered of the online menu once I secure my first choice.

The couple in 3&4R seemed to never have flown in D1 before. They did a running commentary on the contents of the amenity kit. In any case, they fortunately got their first choice as well.

The mishap may have simply been that the device used by the Purser could not connect to the appropriate DL server. On the other hand, this is fair warning that such things will happen on occasion.

Also interesting to note that, from your description, it seems like this is being handled differently than special meals. Special meals are usually loaded with the specific pax name or seat number printed on the meal. Understandably, this new system seems to handle it all electronically. I wonder if there is any info about the meal request on the manifest or other paperwork that could be checked during the not so rare event of wifi not working? Or should all the basic data be downloaded to the FA tablet prior to departure?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note to self: Try to make the selection from a desktop and print a couple copies of the page just in case something goes wrong. Also mention choice to purser to confirm before the good stuff is all claimed by other passengers.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Hopefully DL gets all the pre-ordering errors figured out soon before this starts rolling out to all FC/PS/D1 flights by the end of the year.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
The couple in 3&4R seemed to never have flown in D1 before.
What Delta aircraft has seat "R"?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:03 pm

Do I understand right that pre-select D1 meals are now available on lots of routes to Europe (according to a DL accnouncement linked in the more general 2018 food thread) but generally not in the opposite direction, meaning no for most of the Europe to USA flights?

I got the "almost time to prepare for trip" email (two hour check in suggested and I'm a DM in D1) but it seems to be missing information about the pre-select meal choices, although it did have lots of information about the wine that will be served. Should I expect a second email about pre-selecting my meal? Does it really arrive just three days before the flight, which would be Monday afternoon for a Thursday afternoon/evening flight, etc.?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
What Delta aircraft has seat "R"?
My typing skills on an iPhone have caused greater disasters than typing R rather than J which I did get correct in an earlier post.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Also interesting to note that, from your description, it seems like this is being handled differently than special meals. Special meals are usually loaded with the specific pax name or seat number printed on the meal. Understandably, this new system seems to handle it all electronically. I wonder if there is any info about the meal request on the manifest or other paperwork that could be checked during the not so rare event of wifi not working? Or should all the basic data be downloaded to the FA tablet prior to departure?
The purser twice should be his device - a large screen smartphone - and to the couple in 3&4J and clearly he did not have any data from the manifest to fall back on regarding pre-selected meals.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 18, 2018 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do I understand right that pre-select D1 meals are now available on lots of routes to Europe (according to a DL accnouncement linked in the more general 2018 food thread) but generally not in the opposite direction, meaning no for most of the Europe to USA flights?

I got the "almost time to prepare for trip" email (two hour check in suggested and I'm a DM in D1) but it seems to be missing information about the pre-select meal choices, although it did have lots of information about the wine that will be served. Should I expect a second email about pre-selecting my meal? Does it really arrive just three days before the flight, which would be Monday afternoon for a Thursday afternoon/evening flight, etc.?
I leave GVA on Saturday and that means AMS-MSP then on to OKC. Since they cannot even give us EBPs when a segment is on KLM then surely they are not able to coordinate a pre-selected meal EU-USA.

I got the notice to select my meal on Sunday for a flight that left on Wednesday.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:38 pm

I leave GVA on Saturday and that means AMS-MSP then on to OKC. Since they cannot even give us EBPs when a segment is on KLM then surely they are not able to coordinate a pre-selected meal EU-USA.

I got the notice to select my meal on Sunday for a flight that left on Wednesday.
Thanks. It's reassuring to know that I haven't yet apparently missed the email.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The purser twice should be his device - a large screen smartphone - and to the couple in #&4J and clearly he did not have any data from the manifest to fall back on regarding pre-selected meals.
It's been my impression for months that flight leaders on domestic flights and pursers on international flights were supposed to be using the phones, but many are still used printed manifests. Many of those using manifests seem to be older while those using phones seem to be younger. Just my observations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.