Wiki Posts
Search

upgrades out of order - confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR, HH, DL, ALK
upgrades out of order - confirmed

Have to opine because there's concrete evidence of an upgrade glitch. My buddy and I booked the same flights, on the same day (mine a few hours before) in the same classes of service. He's a platinum person and I'm diamond.

The diamond desk was able to contact ticketing and review and upgrade me, so I do give Delta credit for fixing the situation.

The bigger issue is that there's clearly a glitch in the automatic upgrade system. Most folks don't have this type of situation occur to properly compare upgrades and ensure everything worked as published / promised.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Seattlite
Have to opine because there's concrete evidence of an upgrade glitch. My buddy and I booked the same flights, on the same day (mine a few hours before) in the same classes of service. He's a platinum person and I'm diamond.

The diamond desk was able to contact ticketing and review and upgrade me, so I do give Delta credit for fixing the situation.

The bigger issue is that there's clearly a glitch in the automatic upgrade system. Most folks don't have this type of situation occur to properly compare upgrades and ensure everything worked as published / promised.
What was the glitch? You don't state what happened or how you know it was a glitch. For example if your reservation hadn't been ticketed yet, and his had, he would have gotten it. There's also a few other reaaons, but it'sall a guess till you say why you think this was a glitch.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:11 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What was the glitch? You don't state what happened or how you know it was a glitch. For example if your reservation hadn't been ticketed yet, and his had, he would have gotten it. There's also a few other reaaons, but it'sall a guess till you say why you think this was a glitch.
Exactly...a little more information would make this thread useful. As of now it's pretty worthless.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
Exactly...a little more information would make this thread useful. As of now it's pretty worthless.
What bothers me the most on FT are snarky, rude comments.

If folks reading this thread fail to put together the title "upgrades out of order" with what I included as a description of two flyers with the same tickets for the same dates with different statuses, then well, don't reply and just move on with your FT experience for the day.

Thanks for reading. Please contain your snark.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
I don't think the replies have been snarky so much as seeking missing information. Sure, worthless might be a bit harsh, but your post was vague and didn't leave a lot to discuss. We can infer that (likely) he got the upgrade while you did not but you mentioned nothing of the parameters that are at fault. Was it full Y fares and should have been done at ticketing? Was this with RUCs processed out of order? Was it at the window and his comp UG was processed and yours wasn't?
I read this originally and wondered the specifics myself but figured someone else would prompt you for them.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Happened to me

The OP's situation is entirely possible because it was happening to me in fall 2014. I'd book same exact flights on separate tickets with my Plat wife, and she'd get upgraded at the five-day window while I'd go to a gate upgrade after watching the first class cabin seats slowly fill on the seating chart.

Eventually an IT guy looked at my account. Still don't know why it was happening or how it was fixed, but it was.

As far as I know it's rare because the OP is the only person on FT who says it happens.

Last edited by Bowgie; Feb 13, 2016 at 12:41 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

is it rare?

Originally Posted by Bowgie
The OP's situation is entirely possible because it was happening to me in fall 2014. I'd book same exact flights on separate tickets with my Plat wife, and she'd get upgraded at the five-day window while go to a gate upgrade after watching the first class cabin seats slowly fill on the seating chart.

Eventually an IT guy looked at my account. Still don't know why it was happening or how it was fixed, but it was.

As far as I know it's rare because the OP is the only person on FT who says it happens.
It is difficult (impossible?) to know how often folks are upgraded out of order without these kinds of situations where you have flyers on separate bookings with the exact same set of fare classes, etc. and different statuses.

I wrote into DL asking for more information about why it happened. Not sure anyone on their end will actually take the time to research or understand.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By "same classes of service", do you mean "same fare class"? These are two different things.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

If folks reading this thread fail to put together the title "upgrades out of order" with what I included as a description of two flyers with the same tickets for the same dates with different statuses, then well, don't reply and just move on with your FT experience for the day.

You state confirmed, but provide no details on how you confirmed it. You leave out basics needed to determine if this is the case. All we can confirm is that your friend who's lower status then you got upgraded before you on the same flights. Nothing about fare classes, ticketing time, or the many other things that can come into play.

Basically you've given nothing to support your claim as confirmed.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

^ Totally agree.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
^ Totally agree.
Then please since the rest of us are obviously too dumb to figure it out, state how this is confirmed.

Reading the OP, actually supports the fact that it happened how it should. It appears there was a ticketing issue, thus with no ticket issued, no upgrade would process. Thus it was processed in order.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Then please since the rest of us are obviously too dumb to figure it out, state how this is confirmed.

Reading the OP, actually supports the fact that it happened how it should. It appears there was a ticketing issue, thus with no ticket issued, no upgrade would process. Thus it was processed in order.
I can't get past how folks like to pick apart everything on this board. It's a casual discussion. Nothing I said supports Delta's glitch.

There are two people who both booked T fare class tickets on the same day for exactly the same trip (consider everything equal at booking). One of them, a platinum member, got upgraded yesterday at T-120. The other, a diamond member, did not and had to call Delta and spend 20 minutes on the phone to get them this morning to push through the upgrade that Delta's automated system failed to process appropriately.

There was an automated upgrade glitch. It would be reassuring to know this does not happen all that often, but you have to wonder.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
By "same classes of service", do you mean "same fare class"? These are two different things.
I was trying to be casual, but yes, fare classes were in sync. Almost everything in sync here. No reason that a person with less status would be upgraded before a person with more status.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
I can't get past how folks like to pick apart everything on this board. It's a casual discussion. Nothing I said supports Delta's glitch.

There are two people who both booked T fare class tickets on the same day for exactly the same trip (consider everything equal at booking). One of them, a platinum member, got upgraded yesterday at T-120. The other, a diamond member, did not and had to call Delta and spend 20 minutes on the phone to get them this morning to push through the upgrade that Delta's automated system failed to process appropriately.

There was an automated upgrade glitch. It would be reassuring to know this does not happen all that often, but you have to wonder.
I'm going with you didn't check the request upgrade box!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I was trying to be casual, but yes, fare classes were in sync. Almost everything in sync here. No reason that a person with less status would be upgraded before a person with more status.
Howeveryou comment they had to contact ticketing. This sounds like while you had a reservation, you had no ticket issued yet. Thus since your friend had his ticket issued, he was next in line to upgrade. You don't enter the queue till you're ticketed. Thus it wasn't out of order, it was done exactly how it's supposed to happen. The question in this case is why did it take so long to ticket. Did you buy direct from DL or was it done through a travel agency? If the latter, those frequently aren't ticketed by the agent/agency till later in the day. If DL normally those are done fairly quickly. However if there's an issue then it can be delayed till its worked by someone in ticketing manually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.