Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrades out of order - confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gypsycsc
I suspect there may be a glitch with upgrades. I usually check in online, but then use the kiosk if I have a bag to check. Twice recently when I used the kiosk it showed "unable to process" for the upgrade, instead of the usual "on upgrade list." Had I not used the kiosk, I would not have known about the problem. The Delta app showed me as on the upgrade list, and didn't say anything about "unable to process." Both times I checked with ticket agent, who looked it up and said there was no problem. I was on the list. The first time, I then checked with the GA, who told me I should have been upgraded as I was PM, and all GM's had already been upgraded. She went ahead and upgraded me. The second time, all first class seats were gone by the time I got to the gate. If I hadn't checked in at the kiosk, I would never have known about the problem. I have sent an email to Delta, but no response yet.
So best practice whenever one is wait listed for a gate upgrade would be to always stop and use an airport kiosk to check that one is properly on the upgrade list, even if one has already done OLCI? Regardless of what the upgrade list on the app shows, if one sees "unable to process" instead of "on upgrade list", then one should immediately hustle to the gate to ask the GA to put one on the list?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So best practice whenever one is wait listed for a gate upgrade would be to always stop and use an airport kiosk to check that one is properly on the upgrade list, even if one has already done OLCI? Regardless of what the upgrade list on the app shows, if one sees "unable to process" instead of "on upgrade list", then one should immediately hustle to the gate to ask the GA to put one on the list?
I can't give you any advice regarding best practice. I'm just sharing information. The information is that twice recently I've experienced a glitch in the upgrade process that I would never have known about had I not checked in at the kiosk. And it won't help to ask the GA to put you on the list. I was already on the list. The glitch was that the upgrade would not process. You'll have to decide for yourself what best practice in your own travel situation might be.

Last edited by gypsycsc; Feb 18, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Us "sponges" must stay united... on a space-available basis.
Glad you brought this up . . . . .

I flew United today.

Back on the Mothership tomorrow.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR, HH, DL, ALK
To sate all of the interested, here's the gist of Delta's response that was just now delivered some 9 days later...

"Upon further research, it is indicated that this was indeed a system
error. We appreciate the time you have taken to let us know. We have
sent over a copy of your message to our IT Department for further review
to prevent this from happening in the future."

There you have it. Delta screwed up the upgrades on this flight. Plain and simple.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We wonder how many other flights were affected by the same "system error."
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:01 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by Seattlite
What bothers me the most on FT are snarky, rude comments.

If folks reading this thread fail to put together the title "upgrades out of order" with what I included as a description of two flyers with the same tickets for the same dates with different statuses, then well, don't reply and just move on with your FT experience for the day.

Thanks for reading. Please contain your snark.
This post was not meant to be snarky. I can see how you might take offense to it, but you also didn't have to take it that way. Although you seem to be pretty defensive so I can't say I'm surprised you took it that way.

What I meant was that it would be useful for the entire board to know more details so anyone else could find out if they were being affected by this. Also, to figure out if there was a way to prevent it from happening. That's what this community is for, sharing information to better the experience for everyone. When you come on here and just make allegations that Delta's UG process has a glitch and you confirmed it with no other details, that doesn't really do anyone any good.

Sorry if my original comment of saying the first post was "worthless" was too harsh, I'll try and temper myself in the future.

Last edited by Ebes1099; Feb 23, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Originally Posted by gypsycsc
I suspect there may be a glitch with upgrades. I usually check in online, but then use the kiosk if I have a bag to check. Twice recently when I used the kiosk it showed "unable to process" for the upgrade, instead of the usual "on upgrade list." Had I not used the kiosk, I would not have known about the problem. The Delta app showed me as on the upgrade list, and didn't say anything about "unable to process." Both times I checked with ticket agent, who looked it up and said there was no problem. I was on the list. The first time, I then checked with the GA, who told me I should have been upgraded as I was PM, and all GM's had already been upgraded. She went ahead and upgraded me. The second time, all first class seats were gone by the time I got to the gate. If I hadn't checked in at the kiosk, I would never have known about the problem. I have sent an email to Delta, but no response yet.
Here's an update to the glitch I experienced. I heard back from Delta with the following:
"It sounds like you ran into problems checking in at our self-service kiosk due to the technical issue. I’ve reviewed your reservation and our records show that your name was listed on the upgrade list for your flight on SkyWest Airlines. I’m sorry your upgrade didn’t get processed and I agree this shouldn’t have happened."

They dont' explain what the problem was and why the upgrade didn't process, but they did give me 5,000 miles. Since this is the second time this has happened to me, I'm much more interested in having the problem fixed. I'm hoping that happens.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Yeah, there is definitely something glitchy going on with the gate upgrade list. On my last flight, was waiting for an upgrade to clear (was #1 for 2 seats) at the SkyClub when I got called up to the front desk. When I asked what was going on, they said that the gate agent had to call back and it involved my upgrade. I eventually made my way to the gate (it was right outside), asked what was going on, and he said that he "knew that I was the only DM on the list" but that I had disappeared from the gate list and he "couldn't process me". Luckily he saved the seat and it took him about 5 mins to manually force it through (and had both the time and foresight to handle it), but I definitely thought it was strange at the time. Seeing all these reports makes me think there's something happening with upgrades going from t-24 to the gate list. When I asked him what had happened, he seemed clearly flustered, and it seemed like it was absolutely an IT glitch that he luckily caught.

disconcerting.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Glad to see nothing has really changed on flyertalk!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.