Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrades out of order - confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Personally, I appreciate all UGs; I do not "EXPECT" them, or feel entitled to them, but, you can be DARN sure that I will do my UTMOST to do whatever things that are in my control, to ensure to the best of my ability, that I get the advertised benefit in my proper pecking order.

That said, THIS really makes me laugh . . . . .

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Sure, maybe getting an upgrade will make you feel good, but, have you ever given a single thought to how Delta feels about it?
My simple answer is - - - NO!!

I guess some people really believe that companies are people, too!

Last edited by davetravels; Feb 15, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by davetravels
Personally, I appreciate all UGs; I do not "EXPECT" them, or feel entitled to them, but, you can be DARN sure that I will do my UTMOST to do whatever things that are in my control, to ensure to the best of my ability, that I get the advertised benefit in my proper pecking order.

I took "... but have you ever given a single thought to how Delta feels about it?" to be sarcasm.

If there are hiccups in the UG system, no one should expect a priority effort to resolve them.

Hiccups ===> UG anxiety ===> FCM revenue
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I took "... but have you ever given a single thought to how Delta feels about it?" to be sarcasm.
Perhaps. I have thus deleted my ""

Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

There's more in that post that deserves to be emphasized:

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
That link is highly, highly, highly relevant to this thread. Too many people in this forum just care about themselves. You and your upgrades! Sure, maybe getting an upgrade will make you feel good, but have you ever given a single thought to how Delta feels about it? An upgrade is a gift - you should appreciate it if it comes, and shouldn't complain if it doesn't. Just take your seat.

Delta giveth, and Delta taketh away. Blessed be the name of Delta.

OP, what were you wearing when you booked the ticket, and when the upgrade cleared? I don't see that information anywhere in the thread. Why did you even post if you weren't going to include that highly relevant and important information?
My attitude is that I have EARNED my upgrades according to DL's published program rules. They're a published benefit, not a gift that DL can simply give me when it pleases DL (or, more precisely, particular DL employees and their friends and family) to do so.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My attitude is that I have EARNED my upgrades according to DL's published program rules. They're a published benefit, not a gift that DL can simply give me when it pleases DL (or, more precisely, particular DL employees and their friends and family) to do so.
I agree 10,000%! That's why I'm so adamant on here about UG "stuff"! They have set the rules, so, I follow them, and I also expect them to keep their end of the bargain - and, like I said, I will take every step that I possibly can, shy of being <DYKWIA> pushy, to ensure that I get my program benefits in the correct pecking order.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Don't disagree at all. And I expect DL to follow published rules. I feel I've "earned" my benefits, and for now, the benefits I "earn" make status still worth obtaining to me. But too many people on here seem to forget that upgrades are on a space-available basis (so if DL chooses to FCM the premium cabin and you don't get your UG, then too bad, so sad), and those same people also seem to get upset at the fact that on D1 routes, DL will put NRSA's in the premium cabin, but won't upgrade elites into the premium cabin (except for op-ups).
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Don't disagree at all. And I expect DL to follow published rules. I feel I've "earned" my benefits, and for now, the benefits I "earn" make status still worth obtaining to me. But too many people on here seem to forget that upgrades are on a space-available basis (so if DL chooses to FCM the premium cabin and you don't get your UG, then too bad, so sad), and those same people also seem to get upset at the fact that on D1 routes, DL will put NRSA's in the premium cabin, but won't upgrade elites into the premium cabin (except for op-ups).
On D1 routes, it should also be except for GUCs/RUCs. They're supposed to clear at the gate into the premium cabin before NRSAs are given those seats.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:04 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
I feel yea

0/16 Seat for BNA>ATL Feb 22 DL 2599- Figured I'd get the upgrade as a Diamond 5-days out on a (V) fare.

Nothing but it looks like 8 folks did get it and I got passed over?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
I feel yea

0/16 Seat for BNA>ATL Feb 22 DL 2599- Figured I'd get the upgrade as a Diamond 5-days out on a (V) fare.

8 Diamonds with an X-fare or above.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, DL SM
There's more in that post that deserves to be emphasized:

I think this is a great point. By spending thousands of $ on DL flights and reaching status instead of shopping around for the best deal, you are also purchasing the eligibility for status benefits as officially advertised. Upgrade allocation is automatic and not discretionary. Therefore the least you can expect as a loyal customer is an appropriate spot in the queue for upgrades. We are not talking about a 'gift' at all here, it is quite simply a transaction - you spend more on DL flights, you get a fair chance to 'compete' for free upgrades. A gift is something not governed by FFP rules and might be something like an unexpected D1 seat on a Y ticket, a glass of Champagne in Y or a waived charge for a premium beer at the Skyclub. These would be actual gifts and therefore rightly appreciated, not expected. Not that I ever received such gifts on DL...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by gabriel2
I think this is a great point. By spending thousands of $ on DL flights and reaching status instead of shopping around for the best deal, you are also purchasing the eligibility for status benefits as officially advertised. Upgrade allocation is automatic and not discretionary. Therefore the least you can expect as a loyal customer is an appropriate spot in the queue for upgrades. We are not talking about a 'gift' at all here, it is quite simply a transaction - you spend more on DL flights, you get a fair chance to 'compete' for free upgrades. A gift is something not governed by FFP rules and might be something like an unexpected D1 seat on a Y ticket, a glass of Champagne in Y or a waived charge for a premium beer at the Skyclub. These would be actual gifts and therefore rightly appreciated, not expected. Not that I ever received such gifts on DL...
More to the point, an op up is a gift. A medallion upgrade according to the published rules is not.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
More to the point, an op up is a gift. A medallion upgrade according to the published rules is not.
Being allowed to fly on Delta at all is a gift, let alone in an upgraded seat!

I can't believe you have all forgotten your oath!

Sky Priority is called, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until Richard Anderson's retirement. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die in my seat. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher at the exit row. I am the shield that guards the desk of C. E. Woolman. I pledge my life and honor to Delta Air Lines, for this night and all the nights to come.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
... My attitude is that I have EARNED my upgrades according to DL's published program rules. They're a published benefit, not a gift that DL can simply give me when it pleases DL ...
I agree 10,000%! That's why I'm so adamant on here about UG "stuff"! They have set the rules, so, I follow them, and I also expect them to keep their end of the bargain - and, like I said, I will take every step that I possibly can, shy of being <DYKWIA> pushy, to ensure that I get my program benefits in the correct pecking order.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Don't disagree at all. And I expect DL to follow published rules. I feel I've "earned" my benefits, and for now, the benefits I "earn" make status still worth obtaining to me...
Originally Posted by gabriel2
I think this is a great point. By spending thousands of $ on DL flights and reaching status instead of shopping around for the best deal, you are also purchasing the eligibility for status benefits as officially advertised... We are not talking about a 'gift' at all here, it is quite simply a transaction - you spend more on DL flights, you get a fair chance to 'compete' for free upgrades. ...
Originally Posted by sethb
^+1000 to all

Us "sponges" must stay united... on a space-available basis.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
I feel yea

I suspect there may be a glitch with upgrades. I usually check in online, but then use the kiosk if I have a bag to check. Twice recently when I used the kiosk it showed "unable to process" for the upgrade, instead of the usual "on upgrade list." Had I not used the kiosk, I would not have known about the problem. The Delta app showed me as on the upgrade list, and didn't say anything about "unable to process." Both times I checked with ticket agent, who looked it up and said there was no problem. I was on the list. The first time, I then checked with the GA, who told me I should have been upgraded as I was PM, and all GM's had already been upgraded. She went ahead and upgraded me. The second time, all first class seats were gone by the time I got to the gate. If I hadn't checked in at the kiosk, I would never have known about the problem. I have sent an email to Delta, but no response yet.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They're too busy trying to sell more C+ seats and restrict access to bother with making sure the upgrade lists work properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.