Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to Move Its Asian Hub?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by SeoulGold
From Kimpo (SEL), NW used to fly to HNL, SEA, SFO, LAX, MSP and DTW, as well as to NRT. Don't recall they were codeshared in those days. Now, you cannot even get from NRT to ICN on DL.
I'm sure I saw some intra Asia flights that were KE operated, NW codeshares when perusing those printed schedule booklets! I loved those little books!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From Kimpo (SEL), NW used to fly to HNL, SEA, SFO, LAX, MSP and DTW, as well as to NRT. Don't recall they were codeshared in those days. Now, you cannot even get from NRT to ICN on DL.
There were also PMNW flights to PUS.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
NW also flew SEL-TPE (DTW-SEL-TPE).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mckerrow
NW also flew SEL-TPE (DTW-SEL-TPE).
There was a period when they didn't because the two governments weren't getting along and wouldn't permit nonstop flights between Taiwan and South Korea.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There was a period when they didn't because the two governments weren't getting along and wouldn't permit nonstop flights between Taiwan and South Korea.
That only affected flag carriers for both Taiwan and South Korea. NW, SQ, & CX were able to maintain flight between Taiwan and South Korea after the official diplomatic relationship was terminated in Summer 1992.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:26 pm

That only affected flag carriers for both Taiwan and South Korea. NW, SQ, & CX were able to maintain flight between Taiwan and South Korea after the official diplomatic relationship was terminated in Summer 1992.
No, the time I needed to fly this route, maybe around July 2000, NW didn't fly it nonstop and the NRT connection times were horrible. I ended up taking CX through HKG, although this choice was partly because I wanted to try the CX 777.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:46 pm

No, the time I needed to fly this route, maybe around July 2000, NW didn't fly it nonstop and the NRT connection times were horrible. I ended up taking CX through HKG, although this choice was partly because I wanted to try the CX 777.
Northwest suspended SEL-TPE in 1995.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:59 pm

Northwest suspended SEL-TPE in 1995.
However, when I checked, there were no nonstop flights on the route: not KE, not OZ, and not China Air.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TerryK
That's correct. However, when you see the same name(s) on both standby and upgrade lists, they are likely NRSAs. You need to compare two lists and filter out NRSAs.
How would they be on a upgrade list? NRSA are cleared from standby into the best seat available, if that's J, then J, if it's C+, then C+, if it's Y, then whatever Y seat. There's never a need for a NRSA to be on the upgrade list.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:18 pm

However, when I checked, there were no nonstop flights on the route: not KE, not OZ, and not China Air.
Here's my response few posts ago --
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:27 pm

As I said, when I needed to travel there were NO nonstop flights on this route: no OZ, no KE, no China Air, no Air China, no CZ, no MU, no CX, no SQ, no TG, no QF, no MH, etc.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The suspension for flag carriers was from 1992 to 2002 (with only "charter" flights for a few years afterward), according to this article:
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST...ad.php?idx=975

NWA apparently ran the route for a little while during the bilateral suspension, but dropped it in 1995 due to poor loads (which were in part due to political pressure):
http://articles.latimes.com/1995-02-...n-seoul-taipei
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by DA201
ICN doesn't care if it's a true JV. But, DL would only move to ICN if they had a JV with KE, and KE would only have a JV if DL moved to ICN and gave KE the connecting traffic so DL would only operate ICN-USA routes like UA does with NH.
That doesn't make any sense from a financial perspective.
If they have a JV, it's better for KE not to have to provide the connecting traffic.
e.g. KE receives (with a JV) $100 from 1 pax SEA-NRT
Non-stop: KE gets $100
via ICN: KE gets $100 - cost_of_transport_on_connecting_flight = <$100.

I would take the option with more profit and lower cost.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by DA201
ICN doesn't care if it's a true JV. But, DL would only move to ICN if they had a JV with KE, and KE would only have a JV if DL moved to ICN and gave KE the connecting traffic so DL would only operate ICN-USA routes like UA does with NH.
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
That doesn't make any sense from a financial perspective.
If they have a JV, it's better for KE not to have to provide the connecting traffic.
e.g. KE receives (with a JV) $100 from 1 pax SEA-NRT
Non-stop: KE gets $100
via ICN: KE gets $100 - cost_of_transport_on_connecting_flight = <$100.

I would take the option with more profit and lower cost.
It's not quite so easy as DL just dropping PAX off at ICN for KE to deal with. The long and short is KE would have to reschedule a bunch of flights to leave at odd hours in order to make the connection with DL flights to/from the USA. Anyone who's done SIN-NRT-(Somewhere USA) on DL knows the pain of getting to the airport at 4:30am.

At the same time DL is looking to overfly where the loads and $$$ are. The speculation is DL wanted KE to bear a good chunk of risk for a relatively small chunk of the JV.

Even if DL could make the deal with KE, MU, whoever, they still have the rather large issue that the pilot's contract has language protecting their wide-body routes. DL is already out of compliance with the TALT JV. I don't see agreeing to giving up the interport routes.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Hopefully the new CEO can mend things with the angered partners and countries that the previous CEO upset. With that being said, if Delta only gets 3 of the upcoming HND slots, giving them a total of 4 with the current LAX-HND route, maybe it would make sense to use those slots from ATL, JFK and SEA. Then, rebuild their relationship with KE and set-up two Asian hubs, ICN and PVG. DTW and SEA already have flights to both of these cities, so maybe add MSP to one or both, and add the major hubs of ATL, JFK and LAX to these two cities (LAX to PVG already exist). For SEA, with the elimintion of a NRT hub, return the daily nonstop to HKG, and add TPE and KIX. Regarding BKK, GUM, MNL and SIN, connect those cities via the hubs of ICN and PVG. Would also like to see a daily nonstop from CLT to both LAX and SEA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.