Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta PR (sorry News Hub) has some nerve REG: NDSU game

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

First the DGS folks "run out" of DeIce fluid and strand folks on the way to the game:

http://www.inforum.com/news/3919166-...-cancellations

At least they got them pizza!

Then after the Bison win they splash it on twitter and the PR HUB

https://twitter.com/DeltaNewsHub/sta...69459214106624

http://news.delta.com/airline-champi...another-trophy

Trust, integrity and respect?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Renes Points
First the DGS folks "run out" of DeIce fluid and strand folks on the way to the game...
Why did you put "run out" in quotes? Are you suggesting that this was some kind of coordinated scheme or lie? Do you have any evidence to suggest that? I hate baseless speculation or implication of guilt.

Admittedly, your FT account is not important enough to make a difference, but bigger blogs and online "news" sources with much wider followings use these kind of tricks to speculate about things they can't prove, and it's wildly irresponsible and unethical.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
Why did you put "run out" in quotes? Are you suggesting that this was some kind of coordinated scheme or lie? Do you have any evidence to suggest that? I hate baseless speculation or implication of guilt.

Admittedly, your FT account is not important enough to make a difference, but bigger blogs and online "news" sources with much wider followings use these kind of tricks to speculate about things they can't prove, and it's wildly irresponsible and unethical.
Thanks for the personal attack. Classy.

If you had taken the time to look at the linked news you would see:

"The problems with de-icer didn’t extend to the Fargo Jet Center.

"Private aircraft are taking off without any issue," said Fargo Jet Center President Jim Sweeney."
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:39 am

"Private aircraft are taking off without any issue," said Fargo Jet Center President Jim Sweeney."
Sorry, I really didn't mean that as a personal attack. That was just meant to clarify my point, which was that while you in particular are not going to cause harm with that specific comment on this forum, the principle behind what you did is harmful and unethical.

Also, I don't see why the fact that small private aircraft were still able to take off is an indication of something nefarious. It seems perfectly reasonable, as they would require far less fluid to de-ice.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:40 am

You ignored his/her post. Are you saying there was an intentional effort on Delta/DGS's part to run out of deicing fluid and cancel their own flights?

Especially considering how the employees likely live in Fargo and may very well be NDSU fans themselves, what would make you think this would be malicious at all? There are dozens of reasons that deicing fluid could be depleted, and malice to stop a few pax going to a football game isn't one of them... or am I missing something?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
You ignored his/her post. Are you saying there was an intentional effort on Delta/DGS's part to run out of deicing fluid and cancel their own flights?

Especially considering how the employees likely live in Fargo and may very well be NDSU fans themselves, what would make you think this would be malicious at all? There are dozens of reasons that deicing fluid could be depleted, and malice to stop a few pax going to a football game isn't one of them... or am I missing something?
Who runs out of DeIce fluid, in FAR, in January?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:24 am

Who runs out of DeIce fluid, in FAR, in January?
There could be dozens of reasons, ranging from simple user error while placing the order for fluid to an IT glitch on the side of either the private contractor or the company suppling the fluid to an accident involving the truck that was supposed to bring the fluid to the airport. None of the news stories I can find actually bothered to research why they ran out of fluid, because they realized (correctly) that people wouldn't care enough to warrant further investigation, but I'm sure there was an internal investigation.

Also, none of the articles contain any kind of indication that there is a cover-up or other shenanigans going on to justify your use of quotes in your original comment. I still don't understand what you think actually happened, if you doubt the explanation that they ran out of DeIce. Do you think DL deliberately canceled flights so football fans couldn't go to a game and then blamed it on a lack of DeIce fluid?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:47 pm

The article mentions:

Fargo Hector International Airport stated on Facebook that airline crews had de-icing equipment and fluid Thursday morning, but were de-icing five times more than usual due to heavy snowfall.
De-icing five times more than usual due to heavy snowfall could be important...

To me, this just looks like a simple case of '.... happens.' Either weather was crazy, or DGS or the supplier made a mistake, but no one tried to cancel flights.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Do you think DL deliberately canceled flights so football fans couldn't go to a game and then blamed it on a lack of DeIce fluid?
If you asked this question on his blog, your post would have been promptly censored, and your account unceremoniously banned for life.

Last edited by flying_q; Jan 11, 2016 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
[/I]
Not a personal attack. Questions were asked.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
So your seriously insinuating that a global airline somehow out of spite over some regional sports game (sorry I don't follow or care about sports at all) orchestrated a way to run out of dicing fluid to delay a flight? All over what....some game 95% of the world probably didn't have a clue even exists?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
So your seriously insinuating that a global airline somehow out of spite over some regional sports game (sorry I don't follow or care about sports at all) orchestrated a way to run out of dicing fluid to delay a flight? All over what....some game 95% of the world probably didn't have a clue even exists?
No, Delta (or sub-Delta DGS), for whatever reason, had to cancel flights due to running out of DeIce fluid.

Then, they trumpet the teams win, after stranding many on the way to the game. Kinda sad. Yes? No?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:55 pm

No, Delta (or sub-Delta DGS), for whatever reason, had to cancel flights due to running out of DeIce fluid.

Then, they trumpet the teams win, after stranding many on the way to the game. Kinda sad. Yes? No?
Not really, no. The DL marketing team probably didn't even know about what happened, nor should they have. This is even less of an issue than the last DL social media nonissue: when they tweeted support for the Seahawks even though they were playing the Vikings.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Not really, no. The DL marketing team probably didn't even know about what happened, nor should they have. This is even less of an issue than the last DL social media nonissue: when they tweeted support for the Seahawks even though they were playing the Vikings.
You mean the thread with almost 4k views is a nonissue?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ound-sand.html

Twitter seemed to think it was an issue. Even made national news.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
You mean the thread with almost 4k views is a nonissue?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ound-sand.html

Twitter seemed to think it was an issue. Even made national news.
Seems like the NDSU issue is much different.

Increased deicing fluid usage = running out.

NOT the same as tweeting support or not for particular teams.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.