Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SkyMiles Award Pricing For Travel On or After October 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PHXflier
For travel on or after October 1, 2016, the new low level awards apply:

NA-SW Pacific (incl. Australia) 45k economy 95k business each way
NA-Japan 35k economy 80k business each way
NA-Europe 30k economy 62.5k business each way (J has increased to 70K each way in late summer 2016)
NA-Middle East 35k economy 70k business each way
NA-South Africa 40k economy 95k business each way
NA-Southern South America 30k economy 75k business each way
NA-Africa 40k economy 80k business each way
HNL-N.Asia 30K X, 60K O (was 50K, was 35K) ow
HNL-S.Asia 35K X, 60K O (was 50K, was 35K) ow
HNL-SW Pacific (incl. Australia) 45K X, 95K O (was 80K) ow
N.Asia-S.Asia 22.5K X, 50K O (was 40K) ow (yes 50K for a short 2~3h "domestic first" type of flight!)

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/S/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, S/H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

Domestic (except JFK-LAX/SFO, Hawaii, etc.):
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Domestic Premium Routes (JFK-LAX/SFO)
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 35,000 miles
L/U/T: 45,000 miles

US-Hawaii
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Canada

US-Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bermuda, Caribbean

US-Northern South America
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 60,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Europe:

US-Northern Asia (Japan/Korea/China):

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
Y/B/M: 80,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 115,000 miles

US-Africa (incl. South Africa)

US-Middle East
Print Wikipost

New SkyMiles Award Pricing For Travel On or After October 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Can someone please rename this thread?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by nichojo
How?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you're getting a value of $0.08/mile on DL metal, I would like to know the routes and award prices.

IMHO, DL has been de facto revenue-based redemption for a while (60K domestic coach awards, min adv purchases broadly in effect for the lowest award redemption levels), and there's no (business) reason that long-haul Business should be different. It's tough to make the business case to sell miles to Amex, Starwood, and Hertz and half a penny and then allow them to be redeemed at a nickel a mile for long-haul Business.
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I get people save miles for the honeymoon to Australia or whatever but I'd rather pay cash for the ticket and bank the miles -- not for redemption but for status. For the last three years, all I've cared about is status. I use miles as quick as I collect them as there's no point to banking hundreds of thousands of miles with Delta's constant Sky Miles devaluation. I use the miles either to re-position domestically for unbeatable international fare sales that never include Detroit or as part of pay-with-miles reservations.
I find these two statements quite interesting given that I just booked two ticekts DTW-PVG-SYD and back for 160k RDM each. DL-operated 744 out of DTW, and MU-operated 33E from PVG (reverse on the way back). Cash price for our exact ticket was something like $13k each. We'd of course never pay that, but cheapest flight bookable on DL.com was still $9k, and cheapest flight on ITA for our date range is $7.5k on UA/NZ. As we tend to fly in J on long-hauls, and that was our desired destination and dates, I am indeed valuing my 160k miles at the $7.5k I would have otherwise paid for this trip.

A quick search in just the outbound direction shows there are still plenty of 70k DTW-PVG dates available in the 2nd half of 2016 even restricting to DL-metal nonstop flights, and 80k/95k (depending on pre/post-10/1) using that DL flight to connect to a partner to continue to SYD or AKL.

Just because the exact, high-demand flights you want aren't pricing out at the bare-bottom levels doesn't mean that there are no flights available at those levels. Just as with cash fares, flexibility helps when searching for low mileage awards, but they do still exist.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by nichojo
Done.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
So the response to AA is to increase the award price?
No, they won't be response from AA. They are remain at the same time.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Thanks. This wiki is really helpful! Glad to see that miles required for US-Europe remain the same (at least for now!)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:54 pm

Can someone explain to me why you would upgrade a flight to europe for 80,000 miles when you can get the award for 62.5k?

I'm sure there is a reason, but I can't see. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:12 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by abox03
Can someone explain to me why you would upgrade a flight to europe for 80,000 miles when you can get the award for 62.5k?

Hahahahaha!!! 😂😂😂😂

There literally ISN'T a logical explanation! It makes ZERO SENSE.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium

Wanting to upgrade an employer-paid coach ticket, I guess? Or being really tight on MQMs needed to (re)qualify for a status level, but I can't imagine that the latter occurs all that frequently.

But yeah, it's a bit nuts.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Booked Asia - US ow Business (O) on Jan 2nd for Nov 27th, 2016 with 70000 miles (midnight 331 days ahead when they opened up), I knew I had to pull the trigger immediately, not just because everyone wants to fly Thanksgiving weekend, but also knowing DL is notorious at raising miles redemption at any moment.

Now the new rate is 80000 miles, that's if you can find any, those O fares are scarce and need to be on the lookout constantly. They usually come from CZ, MU, CI, KE, and occasionally from AM (NRT-MEX-JFK routing).

Last edited by vincewy; Jan 9, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I'm surprised that no one here has pointed out the obvious: this is likely in preparation of W (Premium Economy) being made available as a separate class for awards, on DL and the other SkyTeam airlines who also have that product (where usually, unlike Delta, it is a real separate class and not just the same tired old seats with slightly more legroom). That is sure to come, likely sooner than later given this recent move, and is a great excuse ("reason") for DL to further jack up the O pricing.

Another troubling trend: the screws are being really tightened up on SkyTeam availability, some by the actual airlines, some by DL. Case in point, now CI also does, a-la-KE, 1O/2X consistently from the moment it becomes available (it didn't until very recently) - but thankfully just on some flights/dates and not all yet, or notice how DL seems to have blocked VN A350 operated flights (such as HAN-CDG and SGN-CDG) entirely: they are available via AF/KL FB (and presumably other ST programs), but are N/A and blocked out by DL, whereas until recently used to be wide open available. It's not unique to DL or SkyTeam, though. Altogether alliance award availability is really being tightened up, along with massive price increases across the board. Look at how over in *A, CA awards have been completely gone from UA for a few months entirely and from most other *A airlines CA has also completely blocked for awards many/most (possibly all) of their long-haul flights entirely as of late (and, worse, how any existing award tickets booked before this are not being honored by CA).

So, it's a very dire time for award travel...especially bad at DL - patient 0 - of course.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Thanks. This wiki is really helpful! Glad to see that miles required for US-Europe remain the same (at least for now!)
When the DL management scam artists change the mileage ticket prices to further gut the value customers get from redeeming SkyMiles for award tickets, don't expect advance notice of the price hikes. We're talking about Delta.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:24 am

Or upgrade a SHQK fare to Asia for 80K when you can get the award for 80K?

I sort of suspect those are actually RT UG prices. It used to be 25K to UG to Asia from YBM, now it's 60K? That's a huge increase. It would make a lot more sense if it were 30K OW and 40K OW for SHQK fares.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Reports are those upgrade prices are OW.

And it should be pretty obvious whats going to happen to the lower level award availability with the upgrades going up that high....
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
Reports are those upgrade prices are OW.

And it should be pretty obvious whats going to happen to the lower level award availability with the upgrades going up that high....
You mean what has happened already as of Jan 1, 2015? As of Jan 1 last year, award availability was massively reduced. Instead of 1O/1X seat being available per DL flight at the normal level from 331 days out and on until it's booked, now there is practically none - ever (at least on all the flights I've checked and care about). E.g. what used to be 35K normal level before one-way (70K RT w/ stopover and open jaw) now is 375K one-way many, if not most, dates (or 750K RT - yes, more than 10 times higher - with no stopover). That happened already as of Jan 1, 2015, and ever since then DL has kept tightening the screws more and more. The gullible DL customers are like the lobster in a pot where the temperature is gradually turned up, and up, and up..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.