Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SkyMiles Award Pricing For Travel On or After October 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PHXflier
For travel on or after October 1, 2016, the new low level awards apply:

NA-SW Pacific (incl. Australia) 45k economy 95k business each way
NA-Japan 35k economy 80k business each way
NA-Europe 30k economy 62.5k business each way (J has increased to 70K each way in late summer 2016)
NA-Middle East 35k economy 70k business each way
NA-South Africa 40k economy 95k business each way
NA-Southern South America 30k economy 75k business each way
NA-Africa 40k economy 80k business each way
HNL-N.Asia 30K X, 60K O (was 50K, was 35K) ow
HNL-S.Asia 35K X, 60K O (was 50K, was 35K) ow
HNL-SW Pacific (incl. Australia) 45K X, 95K O (was 80K) ow
N.Asia-S.Asia 22.5K X, 50K O (was 40K) ow (yes 50K for a short 2~3h "domestic first" type of flight!)

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/S/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, S/H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

Domestic (except JFK-LAX/SFO, Hawaii, etc.):
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Domestic Premium Routes (JFK-LAX/SFO)
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 35,000 miles
L/U/T: 45,000 miles

US-Hawaii
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Canada

US-Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bermuda, Caribbean

US-Northern South America
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 60,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Europe:

US-Northern Asia (Japan/Korea/China):

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
Y/B/M: 80,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 115,000 miles

US-Africa (incl. South Africa)

US-Middle East
Print Wikipost

New SkyMiles Award Pricing For Travel On or After October 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
At the price point you might as well dump your DL credit card and use a card that gives you 2-5% cash back.
Oh, and no more chasing Diamond status as you will sit on a middle seat in the back of the plane anyway. Courtesy 100% ECM/FCM!
I never had a DL credit card so no big loss there

Definitely not chasing DM status anymore. Accidentally got it this year, projecting Gold next year, and not because of less total travel.

Originally Posted by mspel
I also am seeing availability in Virgin Australia J class for 95K. SYD-LAX, LAX-JFK both direct in lie flat. I never saw VA J availability at 80K.
It used to be easy to find VA J @ 80k up until about a year ago.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by fti
Using an inflated dollar value that the poster would never really pay for a ticket. It is just a "feel good" value, that's all.
No, 160K miles for a flight where the cost was $12K.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
The Mrs. and I are looking to do a marathon in Iceland this August. Looking at the MSP-KEF flights, I was unsure if they required a RUC or a GUC as they're a 6hr flight on a domestically configured 752.

While I was happy to hear that upgrade space was readily available, I was disappointed to find out I needed a GUC. 'First' seats are available in Z but there is no way in hell I'm paying US$ 3,853 / seat for a domestically configured 6hr overnight flight.

I inquired about an M fare and was quoted $2k per ticket which would require 60,000 SM per person each way to upgrade!!! Currently, it's only 25k each way per person. The DM agent said that things will change on July 1st but couldn't provide the information, just a quote on the amount of miles required.

60k for an upgrade is complete BS from an M fare.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL FO
Back in June, I was able to snag JFK-LHR-AMS-SVO-MLE/MDC-DPS-NRT-DTW-LGA for 280,000 in J for two people, travel beginning in March (bough separate Y tickets for MLE-SIN, SIN-CGK and CGK-MDC).

Retail value of the award flights for two people is ~$32K.

So glad I burned the miles when I did!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Junior Varsity
I inquired about an M fare and was quoted $2k per ticket which would require 60,000 SM per person each way to upgrade!!! Currently, it's only 25k each way per person. The DM agent said that things will change on July 1st but couldn't provide the information, just a quote on the amount of miles required.

Information on mileage upgrades for travel on or after June 1 is available here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ements-6.html# - expand the wiki.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:02 pm
Suspended

The Mrs. and I are looking to do a marathon in Iceland this August. Looking at the MSP-KEF flights, I was unsure if they required a RUC or a GUC as they're a 6hr flight on a domestically configured 752.

While I was happy to hear that upgrade space was readily available, I was disappointed to find out I needed a GUC. 'First' seats are available in Z but there is no way in hell I'm paying US$ 3,853 / seat for a domestically configured 6hr overnight flight.

And why do you not buy a business class ticket on DL outright for $2K? Plenty of Z space in August.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:43 pm

And why do you not buy a business class ticket on DL outright for $2K? Plenty of Z space in August.
It's not $2k but $3,853 per person. Even for a 6hr segment, a $2k ticket seems a bit high for a domestically configured 752 but oh well, I guess that's revenue management.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl

Originally Posted by hoth300
Back in June, I was able to snag JFK-LHR-AMS-SVO-MLE/MDC-DPS-NRT-DTW-LGA for 280,000 in J for two people, travel beginning in March (bough separate Y tickets for MLE-SIN, SIN-CGK and CGK-MDC).

Retail value of the award flights for two people is ~$32K.

So glad I burned the miles when I did!
It's not $2k but $3,853 per person. Even for a 6hr segment, a $2k ticket seems a bit high for a domestically configured 752 but oh well, I guess that's revenue management.
The subject of this thread is "New AUSTRALIA Award Pricing".
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by akcae
The subject of this thread is "New AUSTRALIA Award Pricing".
Clearly this affects more routes than just Oz... look at the wiki

I thought you were enhanced away from DL?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:13 pm
Suspended

NO IT IS NOT. YOU CAN BUY a J TICKET ON ORBITZ for $2k all in.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
NO IT IS NOT. YOU CAN BUY a J TICKET ON ORBITZ for $2k all in.
I searched on ITA Matrix calendar search for August MSP-KEF nonstop on DL. I also varied the number of nights from 1-7, and found tickets for $1953/person available on every day but one for any of those durations. If you don't want to pay that for a domestic 757 (I wouldn't either), you can buy coach for $655. Unfortunately you'd have to pay for your wife to get into C+ if she isn't PM+ thanks to the new rules, but at least it's still free at booking on international for you.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I thought Delta was using internationally-configured 757s for its seasonal flights to Oslo, Stockholm and Iceland? I know in 2013 or 2014, when Delta was still overhauling all of its long-haul fleet, that not all aircraft were equipped with flat seats but I thought that had changed.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I searched on ITA Matrix calendar search for August MSP-KEF nonstop on DL. I also varied the number of nights from 1-7, and found tickets for $1953/person available on every day but one for any of those durations. If you don't want to pay that for a domestic 757 (I wouldn't either), you can buy coach for $655. Unfortunately you'd have to pay for your wife to get into C+ if she isn't PM+ thanks to the new rules, but at least it's still free at booking on international for you.
That's still expensive considering you get a better aircraft with better amenities for less money on flights to California from the East Coast--a flight that's about the same time (give or take 30 minutes) as MSP-KEF.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I thought Delta was using internationally-configured 757s for its seasonal flights to Oslo, Stockholm and Iceland? I know in 2013 or 2014, when Delta was still overhauling all of its long-haul fleet, that not all aircraft were equipped with flat seats but I thought that had changed.
Delta.com shows the newly reconfigured domestic 757s with 20F seats and 15 C+ seats forward of the 2L door. I only looked at two days, but I'd guess this is pretty standard.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's still expensive considering you get a better aircraft with better amenities for less money on flights to California from the East Coast--a flight that's about the same time (give or take 30 minutes) as MSP-KEF.
I agree, and I'd book the coach ticket myself. However, prices to other destinations don't really matter other than for comparison purposes when you need to be at a certain place at a certain time.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:14 am

I should have been a bit more clear. The routing will be XXX-MSP-KEF and not just the MSP-KEF portion. If I do decide to blow the money on business, I will probably just do a nested as XXX-MSP is cheap. I just can't believe that one segment increases the price so much. Gotta love dynamic pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.