Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Drinking age on DL-Transcon and Int'l in F/J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drinking age on DL-Transcon and Int'l in F/J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Originally Posted by webmarks
Well there's an humblebrag ... how'd you swing that??

Didn't mean to sound like a humblebrag, my apologies. It was more of an "I'm ashamed for asking a stupid question."

Well, a lot of it came from having ailing relatives in CA while I was in college on the east coast. There were many last minute dashes to the airport to get to LA.

Summer trips to Israel a few times, as well as India, plus regular flights to CDG.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:55 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bubbashow
30 years ago, DL served me at age 14. PDB was a choice of champagne, OJ, or mimosa...I had the latter with no questions.
Wow! Talk about corrupting the morals of a minor!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Wow! Talk about corrupting the morals of a minor!
I found that it was more of a don't ask, don't tell thing. They never asked how old I was, and I never volunteered it. Though I did put down my correct birthdate on the club application forms.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
I think you mean to refer to 23 USC 158. And in any case, that statute only threatens states with a reduction in their highway funds if they do not set their drinking ages to 21. It does not establish 21 as a drinking age for any Federal purpose.
The Section defines the national minimum legal drinking age, sets it at 21, and prescribes a reduction in highway funds for States that violates it.
This is spelled out in 23 CFR 1280.1, which remands to 23 USC 158 as the source of authority.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
And I think you could make a case for fly-over state jurisdiction under a variety theories, including 'presence' within the forum. Heck, I think it was the 5th circuit that validated a district court's holding that personal service performed on an airplane while it was located over Arkansas was enough for an Arkansas court to hear the case.
Good luck to Arkansas, and any other state, trying to collect income taxes from FA's and pilots overflying their territory under a variety of theories...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Unlike a number of posters in this thread, I've been carded numerous times in domestic F on Delta. I'd say most of them were when I was between the ages of 23 and 26. I'm 28 now and actually don't remember the last time I was carded on a flight.

Despite that, I'd say if you want a drink go for it. If you get carded you can give them your ID and they might not even look at the date. If they do, just feign ignorance and be polite.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their assistance with my moronic question here. I had no issue. I'm about 40 minutes from touchdown at ATL, and was successful on the domestic leg.

I'm running late due to mech issues, and am at risk of missing my flight to Peru tonight. oy vey.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by adrouault
oy vey.
Ah, so, Delta serves Mogen David now?!?

Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Ah, so, Delta serves Mogen David now?!?

Probably from JFK to TLV!!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I'm in my 20s and I've never been carded on board, in any class, even when I was 21. (although I don't order much in coach).

But I still always get carded in the Sky Club and I don't think I look even close to being under 21 anymore.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints
The Section defines the national minimum legal drinking age, sets it at 21, and prescribes a reduction in highway funds for States that violates it.
This is spelled out in 23 CFR 1280.1, which remands to 23 USC 158 as the source of authority.
Both the statute and the implementing regulations you cited provide only for withholding of highway funds to states that permit the purchase and public possession of alcohol by people under 21. No provision in either source makes it against Federal law for those under 21 to purchase or possess alcoholic beverages. Even if you assume the rule applies to individuals based on the section title of "National Minimum Drinking Age," no penalty applicable to individuals is specified.

Maybe there's another law that imposes a drinking age for Federal purposes, but this isn't it.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Unlike a number of posters in this thread, I've been carded numerous times in domestic F on Delta. I'd say most of them were when I was between the ages of 23 and 26. I'm 28 now and actually don't remember the last time I was carded on a flight.

Despite that, I'd say if you want a drink go for it. If you get carded you can give them your ID and they might not even look at the date. If they do, just feign ignorance and be polite.
Humblebrag: It's such a nuisance to be carded all the time because everyone thinks I look five years younger than my actual age.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by thesaints
Improper use of the word "remand" and I concur with the prior poster--there isn't a "national drinking age"--states are free to set the drinking age at 21, 18, 16 or 12. . . they just lose a boatload of money from the federal government in grants if they set it for an age under 21.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't states also peermitted to set their drinking ages above 21?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't states also peermitted to set their drinking ages above 21?
Perhaps you would like a state that did not allow children at all...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Humblebrag: It's such a nuisance to be carded all the time because everyone thinks I look five years younger than my actual age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.