Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Drinking age on DL-Transcon and Int'l in F/J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drinking age on DL-Transcon and Int'l in F/J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by dd1612
Technically on all USA Carriers the legal age is 21, regardless of location in the world.
Correct and DL says 21 and over on their website. It's also in Sky Magazine on the plane. (In the small print)
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...cabin.html#eat

I've rarely seen anyone carded on board, and never in the F cabin.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
Actually, the minimum legal drinking age of 21 is established by federal statute (23 U.S.C. 108). Delta would have the option of following the law of the land when wheels are down, or the aircraft is flying In the national airspace of another nation where it lands/takes-off, but apparently they chose not to.

When flying domestically, an aircraft with wheels down is subject to the laws of that State. Not sure if as soon as it takes off it leaves that jurisdiction, in case of flights crossing state lines.
It certainly is not subject to the jurisdiction of a third state it may be overflying while enroute and it certainly remains within the jurisdiction of a state throughout the entire flight, when departure and arrival are both within that state.
Are you sure that the flyover state can't exert jurisdiction? There are stories from the past with flights not being able to serve over certain states, at least during certain times, IIRC involving Kansas and/or New Mexico.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure that the flyover state can't exert jurisdiction? There are stories from the past with flights not being able to serve over certain states, at least during certain times, IIRC involving Kansas and/or New Mexico.
Yes, I think it was New Mexico that threatened to prohibit US Airways from serving alcohol in their airspace.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
I am 27, but still look much younger. Frequently get asked about where I go to school or what kind of homework I am working on. I can think of a single time I was carded in the last 5 or so years while flying. The Sly Clubs are a separate concern and may very well card you.

Stay thirsty, my friend
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Correct and DL says 21 and over on their website. It's also in Sky Magazine on the plane. (In the small print)
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...cabin.html#eat
Yes- But is it the law?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
It's been a long time since this was a relevant concern for me, but in college, when I'd fly home to India in coach, I never got carded on NW. Not sure if enforcement is more rigid today.

Happy birthday in advance.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Originally Posted by irfan23
It's been a long time since this was a relevant concern for me, but in college, when I'd fly home to India in coach, I never got carded on NW. Not sure if enforcement is more rigid today.

Happy birthday in advance.

Thanks bhaiya!

I didn't get carded once while on vacation in India, even in MH where the drinking age is 25!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Kind of relevant to me as I turn 20 in March (then one more year!), so thanks for this thread. I think as long as you look/act mature, especially on an international flight or in a premium cabin, the likelihood of being carded is down (but not absent). All US carriers have it as 21, don't exactly know if it is just their policy or if it is the law.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That could no doubt be challenged under the Commerce Clause. Can't exclude overflown state regulation might have been used as a pretext not to serve.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, I think it was New Mexico that threatened to prohibit US Airways from serving alcohol in their airspace.
It could only apply to flights landing/departing in NM and only at the local airport and in the portion of route above their territory at most.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM
30 years ago, DL served me at age 14. PDB was a choice of champagne, OJ, or mimosa...I had the latter with no questions.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by thesaints
Actually, the minimum legal drinking age of 21 is established by federal statute (23 U.S.C. 108). Delta would have the option of following the law of the land when wheels are down, or the aircraft is flying In the national airspace of another nation where it lands/takes-off, but apparently they chose not to.

When flying domestically, an aircraft with wheels down is subject to the laws of that State. Not sure if as soon as it takes off it leaves that jurisdiction, in case of flights crossing state lines.
It certainly is not subject to the jurisdiction of a third state it may be overflying while enroute and it certainly remains within the jurisdiction of a state throughout the entire flight, when departure and arrival are both within that state.
I think you mean to refer to 23 USC 158. And in any case, that statute only threatens states with a reduction in their highway funds if they do not set their drinking ages to 21. It does not establish 21 as a drinking age for any Federal purpose.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
I have gotten drinks a lot but not in Y, i would not ask in Y as well as they almost always ask and i never felt like lying lol.
but in J for both transcon and intl' to asia and europe they rarely rarely raise questions as you should be paying 3k for it lol
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
I think you mean to refer to 23 USC 158. And in any case, that statute only threatens states with a reduction in their highway funds if they do not set their drinking ages to 21. It does not establish 21 as a drinking age for any Federal purpose.
And I think you could make a case for fly-over state jurisdiction under a variety theories, including 'presence' within the forum. Heck, I think it was the 5th circuit that validated a district court's holding that personal service performed on an airplane while it was located over Arkansas was enough for an Arkansas court to hear the case.

OP, good luck with the LSATs. You'll read ALL about jurisdiction in your 1L CivPro class and there are some very interesting cases there. But don't worry: they don't expect you to know about for the LSAT
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
30 years ago, DL served me at age 14. PDB was a choice of champagne, OJ, or mimosa...I had the latter with no questions.
Same. I've been served since I was in my mid-teens. Whether on board (first or coach), or in the clubs, I think I was carded once or twice. If I recall it was usually a substitute bartender at the TWA Ambassadors club at LAX. At that age I very much enjoyed the self-service bars in clubs...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adrouault
Thanks for the friendly answer! I feel like such a kettle posting this question, even though I've gone about 350,000 miles in the past 4 years of college.
Well there's an humblebrag ... how'd you swing that??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.